IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

been wearing out minipops.

Confirmed that I will skip that track for at least one month once I have the album.

same :(

i still skip reach for the dead for this exact reason, despite it being a pretty great track. i know the same thing's going to happen to minipops but i'm an idiot

speaking of, it's a bit weird there's no roland tb-303 or yamaha gx-1 listed on there... i swear i heard a 303 line in minipops

One of the items on the list is the insanely vague "Modular systems/Eurorack", which could be referencing hundreds of different modules by dozens of different manufacturers right there, including several that sound rather TB-303-like.

Strange, though, that I see a few euro modules listed by name as well. I remember hearing that Intellijel got into making modules because he heard that Richard built his own synths. He must be pretty happy to see it come full circle!

Yes, it does seem a bit inconsistent. He lists some Cwejman modules too, for instance, but not e.g. the Metasonix ones.

It's still easily the most complete and accurate gear list we've ever gotten out of him, I think. I'm going to try to avoid staring at it for too long and making my wallet sad.

Oh, yes, it's still nice to see his equipment list, especially the breakdown per track. It certainly satisfies my curiosity. I don't mean to complain, sorry. Well, I do, but only about him hoarding three PS-3300s! :)

c5cc8384e83bf54d83a7c089e912b66c.jpg

From vintagesynth.com

looks like matt black from coldcut procured them for him

Why are a lot of the angels the same girl? Actually it's all the same model. Is heaven filled with clones? Are angels clones? What's going on! Also why do people use shitty old mousepads when they have a perfectly good smooth desk, are they nuts, clones, heaven etc!

Guest Yosholok

Is this the first time he's had work mastered by a 3rd party?

No.

http://www.discogs.com/artist/393350-Matt-Colton

Thanks

the mastering sounds a lot more 'extreme' on minipops than on Rushup Edge, i wonder if Matt Colton does Syro too

it's mixed by a Beau Thomas, who "brings his experience of the early jungle scene" hence the "extreme" you hear perhaps

http://www.masterpiecelondon.com/masterpiece-mastering-team/beau-thomas/

been wearing out minipops.

Confirmed that I will skip that track for at least one month once I have the album.

That's why I won't listen until I've got it all. Same thing happened with another album I was really looking forward to. Still hard for me to hear the pre-released single as part of the album....

I found this list on reddit

• minipops 67 (manchester track)
  • XMAS _EVET10 (metz)
  • 4 bit 9d api+e+6 [126.26] (ATP Minehead track)
  • 180db_ [130] (aka vibervived synth test)
  • PAPAT4 [155] (singapore track)
  • aisatsana (barbican/copenhagen track)

this is what we have so far right?

Funny album, this one.

:music:

180db (number 4 above) is the so-called snowbombing track? I do not follow the youtube stuff, so forgive me...

ouch

klee7bT.png

Not seeing that here.

Hey, what did all this mean btw? (There were a few others.)

I don't mean, "Is RDJ's face in there somewhere?", I just mean: Can a person w/ knowledge explain what this means to a non-musician? I noticed some ppl described minipops as "loud," and someone posted about why the person who did the mastering may have chosen to do it that way... hopefully this doesn't make it a stupid question. Can someone explain something beyond "it means the song sounds loud"?

ouch

klee7bT.png

Not seeing that here.

Hey, what did all this mean btw? (There were a few others.)

I don't mean, "Is RDJ's face in there somewhere?", I just mean: Can a person w/ knowledge explain what this means to a non-musician? I noticed some ppl described minipops as "loud," and someone posted about why the person who did the mastering may have chosen to do it that way... hopefully this doesn't make it a stupid question. Can someone explain something beyond "it means the song sounds loud"?

The waveform, when zoomed in, displays clipping in louder elements of the music (kicks, bass, and so on), which indicates heavier compression and/or limiting on the master.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

Though with minipops the result is still audibly very nice despite the clipping. The engineer did a great job.

Edited by Hexahedral