IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

Guest tudikas

isn't minipops the one was mastered by someone else? the same person who did the recent warp compilation with the autechre track that people were saying much the same about?

interesting if minipops was originally destined for that compilation and then he decided to go all out and just release an album

that "mastered to fit the comp" hunch is good, columbo, real good.

peep the beau thomas cv.

http://www.masterpiecelondon.com/masterpiece-mastering-team/beau-thomas/

rusko album....

i just can't see rdj asking for one song to be mastered by this guy unless there was a reason.

that being said, with minipops being the hit single and all, it's gotta compete with the loudness of a rusko track, while being played on an iphone speaker, or the kids are gonna think it's too wimpy and keep asking about "where's the drop?"

ahhh foook it, they're probly gonna ask anyway.

holding out hope that the vinyl version is mastered like the original version of stairway to heaven.

sounds like trackermatte, hi burglar!

pretty good fake huh?

watmmer made that

did you see him or her push the render button?

Nope but what does that matter?

Did you see richard push the render button on any of his releases? How do you know they weren't all made by his cat who is a visitor from another galaxy that only landed here to make us listen to strange sounds?

Guest capitan mission

After listening to it I would tell, hope that richard with all his knowledge but at the same time artistic values wouldn't fall in the ultra compressed industry standard.
Albums like "The Empyrean" by John Frusciante have such dynamics that its really disturbing when i listen to some over compressed pop after that.

sounds like trackermatte, hi burglar!

pretty good fake huh?

watmmer made that

Did you see richard push the render button on any of his releases? How do you know they weren't all made by his cat who is a visitor from another galaxy that only landed here to make us listen to strange sounds?

Heh close but no cigar ;)

the tracks of our chosen overlord are fully marinated and people cry about a problem that's not even there

it sounds awesome on high volume with my unholy system, on wtf are you guys listening ??

the tracks of our chosen overlord are fully marinated and people cry about a problem that's not even there

it sounds awesome on high volume with my unholy system, on wtf are you guys listening ??

Excellent response Mr. Ooze. True to form!

I've found this all interesting. There is room to discuss different geeky aspects & opinions I hope.

Guest bitroast

they're not, they're analysing the image in audacity .

pretty good fake huh?

watmmer made that

Did you see richard push the render button on any of his releases? How do you know they weren't all made by his goat who is a visitor from another galaxy that only landed here to make us listen to strange sounds?

fixt.

Analord 10 and minipops 67 [120.2][source field mix] are some of my favorite songs of all time.

I don't really understand the praise for Minipops' sound. You could hear immediately that it's overcompressed with the scratchy high end on the shakers, and the first time I put it on the distortion in the first bassline really struck me. There are some really cringeworthy moments at points where there are too many elements stacked together and everything gets muddy and distorted for a moment. Initially I thought it was just me so I checked the waveforms and there's clipping all over the place. It sounds like the track's really been pushed to it's limit. Still love the track but someone fucked up the mastering IMHO.

On my set up at home (M2Tech hiFace > DAC > Pre-amp > amp > HE-5LE) I can't agree with "too many elements stacked together and everything gets muddy and distorted for a moment" at all. This 24-bit WAV sounds nearly indentical to my Analord WAVs, i.e. some of the best sounding files on my computer. Excellent sound stage/sound imaging. The piano sounds sublime, similar to Fenix Funk 5.

I always thought, ok it's obvious The Tuss is RDJ, because that's his voice on Alspacka. I could be wrong, but it sounds like RDJ is panting in my ear. A similar, eerie and utterly unique effect is achieved at 3:20. Yup, chills. And it's not cheesy, like Windowlicker was.

The boom thack of the bass at 0:00 is lewd, and I had to replace my amp with a new model lacking in bass freqencies unfortunately.

I'm going to die when I get faced and listen to XMAS_EVET10 [120][thanaton3 mix]

Why is no interviewer asking Richard:

1. How important is mastering to you and what is your definition of a good mastering?

2. What's your take on the loudness war?

3. People have accused your new "sound" of clipping: what do you think?

It would probably shut up a couple of people on here hehe.

There was an interview a couple years back and he said his old tracks were way less limited and sounded 10x more aggro back in the day than modern tracks do. Was it a polish interview I think?

And this is track is just hitting 0 it's not clipping but all audio editors report 16bit 0 hits as a clip but they're not, it's a lira toob of 16bit so don't worry. There is no actual clipping.

For the same aesthetic just listen windowlicker which sounds way more compressed with all the sidechain from the kick drum even if the track isn't hard limited by -6db or -8db

In fact mini pops is like windowlicker part 2 really just don't confuse these tracks with analord.

Actually, analord 8 or 10 has some AWFUL hard limiting, check the waveforms but remember that waveforms mean shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

to me Minipops has this tiny saturation that keeps everything warm and soulful, if the mastering would have been more cold and perfectly done on technique, it would have the sound of an analord tune, quite 120% electro

this saturating mastering with a bit of dirt is beautiful, i remember many 90s/2000s tunes mastered like that, specially with analog synth abuse

RDJ tried to get more pop one this one and he chose to step away from those crystalline drums and bass of his analord.

he's pretty aware of this, he surely have tried different engineers, different versions and checked those waveforms fucking hundreds times,

and i think he ended like :

"-yeah this one is clipping but the sound is cool and warm,

-this one aint clipping but quite colder,

-ok let's chose the clipping, i like this one"

On Aphex Twin's wikipedia page, which was updates since Syro of course I read this:

James was meticulous about the process of recording, mastering and pressing. He tried a number of pressing plants until he was satisfied with the quality of each EP. James prefers vinyl or tape to digital. However, label co-owner Wilson-Claridge convinced him to release a CD compilation (Chosen Lords) with 10 tracks from the Analord series.

There's no sources there, but I can clearly hear he really put a lot of time and effort into the Analord sound. It's got nice dynamics.

I also read in a fairly recent (2011?) interview with him that he doesn't care for the loudness war too much, I think I can roughly quote him saying 'Pop music is so loud these days, why not have nice dynamics and turn your volume up once in a while. People are lazy' or something like that.

[edit]

Whats your opinion on sound [aesthetics] in this music ?

Its quite extreme. Strongly compressed to maximize the volume.
Recently I've been looking through a pile a sounds from some chart music, and it
seems that its incredibly loud music. Louder than many of "trade-off less" noise
recordings. And I use those same audio processing applications myself and I know how to set them
up, how to makeup to average loudness in the same manner as the audio producers of advertising industry do it,
but the problem with this is: it destroys the transitions of the broadcasted sound character.
And the dynamic drops to zero. Everything is on the same level. Honestly
speaking: it fascinates me that this is popular music and ppl want to listen to it.

Maybe they got used to it, and they won't be able to listen music recorded back than?

If we compare my strongest (in the sense of volume) recording from the 90ies to todays
pop music it will be 10 times quieter, but has so much dynamics in itself that if you turn
the knob on your amplifier it will sound better. Its nothing contemporary producers aim at.
They try to make people not to regulate their amp knobs so they get max volume right away.
Thats the case with radio and television broadcasting.

source: http://forum.watmm.com/topic/68649-new-afx-interview-september-2011/?p=1653431

When I first heard minipops, I was a bit dissapointed with the lack of dynamics and how dense and loud it all sounded, but still, it's one of his best tracks imo.

Edited by borys

Thank you watmm. Now I'm going to think about all this shit the next time I hear the song - which is happening right now and all I can hear is compression and shit. I'm so glad I logged in today.

If Richard sees the last few pages you do know he won't release another album right? He'll be hurt, and it will all be your fault.

he is here.

edit: they all are.

Edited by MIXL2

If Richard sees the last few pages you do know he won't release another album right? He'll be hurt, and it will all be your fault.

he is here.

edit: they all are.

Hi richard