IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

I am disappointed by this album. There, i said it.

anything in particular you were expecting? Heh.

I was expecting some fun moments, and i got those. But i am really disappointed by the lack of interesting melodies/chord progression, especially in the second half of the album, despite some really cool basslines. I don't like the way it's mixed/mastered, even if i was expecting a lot of lofi sounds. Some parts are really messy.

We got so much good electronic music for the past years, it's not surprising Richard can't top something like Druqks (and he's close with tracks like the Metz track), but i was expecting some shivers down my spine during the listening of this album, and it never really happened.

I just listened to it once, i have to listen to it a few more times, but i know it's not my new favorite Aphex album.

Edited by Diabrotikos

amazing album, bad mastering

I wouldn't say the mastering is bad... Whatever it's doing it's allowing sounds to be very very snappy, which would be lost in I guess more normal mastering.. I am put off by it but I imagine in a week I'll forget it was ever a problem.

Everything sound very dry. If that makes sense.

Edited by Brisbot

nothings gonna happen on Bleep, 'cause its 03.45 in the morning lol. I'm not sure how these things work but I presume somebody must get out of bed to activate something. I'm only here at this ridiculous time because I got the week off lol

beerwolf over and out

I think theres something going on with the bass from the use of playing back the sound in a room and recording that (note the background noise in the quieter bits), it's doing weird things I think (if i'm right at all), but if I am right I think that's what is being responded to with the "bad mastering" comment. Personally tho it's blowing my mind and I love it, both that bit in particular and every other amazing thing happening in here.

Edited by taphead

itd take several listens to really absorb this, but i can say these things-

even though there are definitely many elements here and there that are like things heard in his other releases, imo as a whole its a very different album from any others of his, surprisingly so even, for me. which imo is the main important thing for an aphex album. also i'm hearing LOTS of sound design thats unlike anything i've heard from him. i always wished analord had more varied synth sounds on it like this does. musically, there are some really weird moods going on in places, sometimes fairly alien, which is awesome. a few places in the thing i'm *slightly* reminded of ufabalum which i feel was always pretty underrated since imo its exactly what a more futuristic squarepusher (would and does) sound like. i feel like in some ways this comes across as a modern aphex album built on the foundation of his classic albums/eps (just like ufabalum was for SP).

i love how lo-fi some aspects of it are. you can hear noise on almost every track (seems like even more than on analord to me), either from individual sounds coming from noisy synths or being ran through noisy equipment, or it could be that he just added the noise or even ran stems or the whole track through something noisy like tape and/or old tube equipment. pretty obvious spring reverb being smacked or just having a loud transient sound going through it, several times in produk29

anyway yeah i'm pretty sure with the first listen, that for me this is among his best albums and will only get better with each listen