edit: in the pitchfork feature

Edited by StephenG

lol he mentions the watmm "guess what syro means" thread

confirmation that he is at least lurking reading what we're saying! lol

edit: in the pitchfork feature

aphex twin has read my thread.

*kills self*

richard on syro:
But I don't think these [syro] tracks are particularly innovative. Maybe in really subtle ways they are, for me, but there's nothing there that I need to explore more, so it's not going to put me off releasing anything. It just totally makes me want to not do anything else in that particular style.

Wow. . . just listened all the way through for the first time. Couple of thoughts (i know. nobody fucking asked you T3 but god DAMN i feel like I need to put some words down about this album - and, gosh, there is like 1 dude in the "real world" i know who likes Aphex and/or will even want to listen to this. Be my shoulder WATMM. Be my mental breakdown mind vomiting words into a keyboard and onto your screen receptacle*):

• Drukqs has LONG been my "island CD." You know, that one CD you would take with you if you were stranded on a desert island and had to listen to for the rest of your life as the ONLY music available. So. Much. Good. Sound to discover, even a fucking DECADE+ later. Ziggomatic, Mt. St. Michaels, Avril, Vorbodhosbn (sp is wrong fuck off). . . so, so much goodness there. My only problem is that it is not an album (other than very rare occasions) I can sit and listen straight through. I always end up skipping around, cherry picking the tracks I like. Flipping past the tracks that sound like Bjork is getting tortured in some dank corner of Richard's bank vault. Arousing? yes. Do I always want to hear it? No.
    • And now? Christ Jesus - this album already has that same sort of depth of sound that means it's going to take ages to really digest. But it's also something that I could totally see putting on and playing from beginning to end. Now, I know - Rich cherry picks tracks from the different stacks and gives us all a taste of all different stuffs. But, damn, does this not feel like a real, complete "Album" or what?
  • I've had this on at work and I swear to fucking god I spent several minutes just laughing and giggling at some of the shit here. If I did not have my own office to hide in, I think they would have sent in the guys in the white coats. I mean, there are these musical moments that, rarely, make me cry or make me laugh with unreptetant joy. I've already experienced, literally, minutes of the latter today. So much grinning my face fucking hurts.
  • Over the past 13 years, there have been a lot of fake Aphex leaks. I've listened to a lot of them and at points thought, "yeah, that could be Aphex . . . maybe? . . . yeah, could be him." Even some of the Syro fakes (like that fake preview set that had minipops at the beginning and fake tracks after). Then I listen to this and I could take any 45 seconds out of it on almost any track and it just SHITS all over the fakes. I'm not saying the fakes are bad tracks, (necessarily) - I'm just saying that NOBODY sounds like this. Or maybe nobody CAN sound like this. There is just so much fucking information there, layered so delicately, but still so HUMAN. EGADS. SICK. LUSH. MENTAL. GAME OVER MAN GAME OVER!!!

Alright - vomiting over - just biked in to say how much this just MADE MY YEAR. It's going to take so long to get my head around and through this - I'm going to need a few extra islands.

Pce,

T3

*Just kidding u know I love you WHAT EM

is there meant to be a weird tapehiss sound on every track or are my headphones/ears/brains broken

Yeah probably part of the recording process

He also says he can hear the same pitch in both ears, whatever that means.

Have you ever yawned heavily while listening to music, traffic or something and have everything change pitch? It's like that, the pitch is always slightly different in each of your ears. If you plug one ear at a time you can sometimes notice it. The brain uses that information to determine direction and distance etc, and binaural beats affect the brain by this principle - pitch is different in each channel but the brain melts it into one signal of a certain frequency. He doesn't have that built-in pitch difference, so he easily falls over and walks into stuff. Aphex slapstick album confirmed?

i knew it was gonna be awesome but i'm glad it's confirmed, been listening at work and now i'm gonna blast it through my bestial system

so weird to hear these gloomy shroomy afx synth's again, i thought i never would

this is the best thing that happened to me in music in a long time

it has been so much fun waiting for this on watmm and now we are rewarded bigtime

thank you so much richard and bless you watmmers

IMO better than drukqs, yes. It's got more of a coherent journey too it. And the it's mixed down more aesthetically

oh come on its way 2 soon to talk shit like that

Guest bitroast

If you put me in a room, wiped my memory and then played Drukqs and Syro for me just once then I would say that Syro is far better.

But Drukqs takes time to get into.

At the moment I prefer Syro, but it might get boring after a while.

im actually blown away at how much it sounds like a successor/progression from drukqs.

I mean, in hindsight, I guess it makes sense. the sound of drukqs is .. RDJ. syro is RDJ. syro sounds like drukqs.

But still, after analord and tuss, I just never would have anticipated it at all.

A user friendly, hyper attentive, funky successor to drukqs :):)