IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

tracks 1-5 are just very good in my book with Metz as one of the album highlights (not much love for Produk 29 and 180db_ here)... but 6-12, omg... I dont wanna blindly hype but that has to be one of the best sets of tracks ever clutched together on a record containing electronic music

tracks 1-5 are just very good in my book with Metz as one of the album highlights (not much love for Produk 29 and 180db_ here)... but 6-12, omg... I dont wanna blindly hype but that has to be one of the best sets of tracks ever clutched together on a record containing electronic music

You cant overhype 6-12 because it is astonshingly good...

2:53 into PAPAT4; divine.

"I've got a weird balance problem, as a human being, like I'm dizzy, and it's something to do with that. I'll fall over sometimes, just walk into walls, things like that. There's something wrong with my brain, it doesn't work properly! I can hear the same pitch in both ears, whereas for most people, if you listen to one pitch in one ear, it's slightly different in the other. That's how your brain works out direction. But mine's really close. I don't know what it is, something internal." - Aphex Twin

--

"Genius... means little more than the faculty of perceiving in an unhabitual way." - William James.

Guest Roksen Creek

Yeah, I also agree that on initial listens the album seems to take a step up from track 6 onwards. Like the first 5 tracks are easing you into it, preparing you.

WAYYYY Too soon. Ask again in a year... then ask again in 5 years. Then ask if **** ***-** or whatever is better than Syro and whether or not ??? is better than Drukqs and if Xtal is sexier than Syro + ??? - ****-*** and so forth and so on into dawn.

Take out all of the piano and short bits from drukqs and replace them with these and blow your minds.

oh and btw, anything that feels remotely close to being worthy of comparison to drukqs is a masterpiece by default.

Edited by A Reggae Lee Bowyer

It was funny to read that bit about Autechre saying everybodys doing the robot drum thing :)

In the Pitchfork interview, Master Richard mentions re-amping, the only other recording artists in electronica I've heard doing that quite blatantly (lets just say lately) is The Tuss and Mattias Östling. (especially rolando simmons stuff if i recall)

The way he makes those synths shimmer, just WOW. The sound design is breathtaking and in a lot of the tracks it just sort of slowly creeps up on you and you find yourself just listening in awe. CIRCLONT14 on the Audio Technicas is just amazingly loud but so so crisp. The whole thing is like your first MDMA trip.

heard it three times now and it doesn't work for me. not at all. i think the whole thing is a complete mess. to me it sounds like he was fiddleling around without having the slightest idea where to go with these tracks. i like minipops, the metz-thing (is the live version faster? not sure) and the piano piece. 180db is funny and likeable, it sounds silly, playful and completely idiotic. a good joke, not a good track. papat4 starts off great but destroys itself on the way. syro (the track) has its short funky moments, but the rest is so random and messy. i really hope this album was the last part of this anal/tussy phase. i love the guy, but... 4/10

Edited by panz0r

heard it three times now and it doesn't work for me. not at all. i think the whole thing is a complete mess. to me it sounds like he was fiddleling around without having the slightest idea where to go with these tracks. i like minipops, the metz-thing (is the live version faster? not sure) and the piano piece. 180db is funny and likeable, it sounds silly, playful and completely idiotic. a good joke, not a good track. papat4 starts off great but destroys itself on the way. syro has its short funky moments, but the rest is so random and messy. i really hope this album was the last part of this anal/tussy phase. i love the guy, but... 4/10

Random?

Guest bitroast

drukqs goes deep and twists your soul

don't know yet if syro can do this

oh yeah for sure.

the drukqs comparision is shitty. when I compare syro to drukqs I refer more to drukqs style hyper editing that is unparelled except for... whats on drukqs.

well his comments in the Pitchfork interview released today echo my sentiments exactly

Maybe just the composition's changed, but there's no next-level beats on [syro]. I've kept it like that on purpose. All the other stuff

really surprised at all the (hate to say it) naive comparisons to Drukqs, none of these tracks have anything near the beat fuckery of Drukqs or frankly even Death Fuck. Great album though, will be listening on repeat for the foreseeable future

my biggest 'complaint' and its not really a complaint at all just was expecting a real dark/evil belter like Death Fuck. Also was anyone else expecting to hear more piano stuff mixed together with regular tracks? After minipops I was thinking piano was going to be on most of the songs (ala Rushup bank 12 & Death fuck). So far I haven't noticed piano like minipops on anything else.

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Guest Roksen Creek

i really hope this album was the last part of this anal/tussy phase. i love the guy, but... 4/10

It is just the beginning!

heard it three times now and it doesn't work for me. not at all. i think the whole thing is a complete mess. to me it sounds like he was fiddleling around without having the slightest idea where to go with these tracks. i like minipops, the metz-thing (is the live version faster? not sure) and the piano piece. 180db is funny and likeable, it sounds silly, playful and completely idiotic. a good joke, not a good track. papat4 starts off great but destroys itself on the way. syro (the track) has its short funky moments, but the rest is so random and messy. i really hope this album was the last part of this anal/tussy phase. i love the guy, but... 4/10

Did you like all aphex releases right away? Let's talk again in 3 weeks

heard it three times now and it doesn't work for me. not at all. i think the whole thing is a complete mess. to me it sounds like he was fiddleling around without having the slightest idea where to go with these tracks. i like minipops, the metz-thing (is the live version faster? not sure) and the piano piece. 180db is funny and likeable, it sounds silly, playful and completely idiotic. a good joke, not a good track. papat4 starts off great but destroys itself on the way. syro has its short funky moments, but the rest is so random and messy. i really hope this album was the last part of this anal/tussy phase. i love the guy, but... 4/10

Random?

yes, random. i don't get your point

Druqks is better IMO. There were lots of 'okay how the fuck did he do that moments' plus some of his best melodies if not the best he's ever released (nannou 2, avril 14th), but this is crazy good. That being said, I've listened to the album on repeat all day today, about 10 times in all. I am just so happy that I've got something to obsess over again, no one does it like this.

Rich, if you ever read this, thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Take out all of the piano and short bits from drukqs and replace them with these and blow your minds.

I totally have Drukqs playlist like that, and it rules. Don't remember the last time I listened to the entirety of the official release, honestly. Too many ups and downs over 2 hours to really get into it.

In the Pitchfork interview, Master Richard mentions re-amping, the only other recording artists in electronica I've heard doing that quite blatantly (lets just say lately) is The Tuss and Mattias Östling. (especially rolando simmons stuff if i recall)

I've done re-amping (in different ways) at various points since I started writing music, 15 or so years ago...I really don't think it's that uncommon. It can be a great technique though, for sure.

Random?

yes, random. i don't get your point

It just couldn't be further from random. It's the total opposite of random.

The way he makes those synths shimmer, just WOW. The sound design is breathtaking and in a lot of the tracks it just sort of slowly creeps up on you and you find yourself just listening in awe. CIRCLONT14 on the Audio Technicas is just amazingly loud but so so crisp. The whole thing is like your first MDMA trip.

I feel like he's been incredibly brave using so many raw synth sounds together with so little processing. Most producers would instinctively push things back in the mix with reverb and stuff, but on Syro they're all right at the front jostling for position, and it all works so well!