IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

Guest bitroast

"Ingrid (?) Why Did I Put Up With You?"

Ooo i was thinking something something "part with you". 'Why did i put up with you' fits tho, and goes hand in hand with same theme.

As playful and melodic as the album is, it still manages to carry its fair share of emotional baggage.

heard it three times now and it doesn't work for me. not at all. i think the whole thing is a complete mess. to me it sounds like he was fiddleling around without having the slightest idea where to go with these tracks. i like minipops, the metz-thing (is the live version faster? not sure) and the piano piece. 180db is funny and likeable, it sounds silly, playful and completely idiotic. a good joke, not a good track. papat4 starts off great but destroys itself on the way. syro has its short funky moments, but the rest is so random and messy. i really hope this album was the last part of this anal/tussy phase. i love the guy, but... 4/10

Random?

Youll figure it out after a few more listens I reckon

The way he makes those synths shimmer, just WOW. The sound design is breathtaking and in a lot of the tracks it just sort of slowly creeps up on you and you find yourself just listening in awe. CIRCLONT14 on the Audio Technicas is just amazingly loud but so so crisp. The whole thing is like your first MDMA trip.

I feel like he's been incredibly brave using so many raw synth sounds together with so little processing. Most producers would instinctively push things back in the mix with reverb and stuff, but on Syro they're all right at the front jostling for position, and it all works so well!

that's what gives me a much stronger analord 1-9, 11 vibe of all these 'raw synth' tracks. It sounds like work-flow wise the setup was closer to Analord than Rushup Edge. Whereas Rushup had a lot of post-processing/mini edits and breakbeats with the synths, this to me sounds like almost all hardware sounds (the noisefloor is even more pronounced on some of these than Analord too)

it's just astounding to me how 'off' professional music reviews of 15 years can be about the sounds being used in a particular record. Joe Muggs said every song was 'acid + breakbeats" or something to that effect. it's by far the most purely synth heavy record he's ever put out besides analord.

Yeah, a lot of people just really don't know how to describe things I guess. lel. This album doesn't sound anything like Drukqs, or Tuss, or even Analord to me (although I think you're right about the almost all hardware comparison in regards to the latter). Was surprised at how laid back it is, just really relaxed fun tunes all of it. That last half of XMAS_EVET10 tho. Amazon. That track really stood out on first listen. People who were saying things like 'this is Tuss +++', combined with the bpm info on these tracks, combined with things people were saying like 'experimental, gets really crazy towards the end' had me pulling a face like this expecting some insanely dank Death Fuck on steroids insanity or something

bushbaby.gif

But actually despite the fast bpm that second to last track doesn't feel frantic at all, and the transition into Aisatsana isn't jarring like I feared it might have been from people saying they thought it felt 'tacked on'. Absolutely love the last track, so so so good. Cri everytiem. Looking forward to getting to know this album better and really looking forward to getting the wax in the post too

Couldn't agree more with you.

There are some elements of Drukqs specifically how much Earth Portal Mix reminds me of ZiggomaticV17. Otherwise its exactly as you said. More laid back which probably describes Richard's life right now. His music has always reflected his emotions. Dark, frantic, calm peaceful all stuff of his past that he's already conveyed into music excellently. Now he has matured and this albums totally reflects it.

Anyone else find some really jazzy moments in some tracks?

Edited by ZiggomaticV17

Guest Phonejack

180db feels really dark to me for some reason. (?) It makes me want to jam out and smash a TV or something in a dark warehouse.

Edited by Phonejack

We are kindly asked to hurry up with this research so that FACT and NME can post another simple clickbait article with no credits for it.

Have We Are The Music Makers unearthed Aphex's kid's Bandcamp yet?

i saw that and I already commented something to the effect of

100% chance of a creepy bandcamp employee already searching out obscure Scottish IP addresses, although if Richard taught them well they're using Tor to upload it.

I still can't spill the beans on my G**gle story (yet) but let's just say if you're an IDM fan and work for them finding out personal info (like search history dating back for almost a decade) about your 'gods' is just one click away, although highly unethical and probably against company policy.

edit: lets just say that we put an awful lot of faith in these .com companies thinking that employees aren't creepy/stalker like or 'serial killer' esque as Richard put it. Nothing could be further from the truth

edit2: so while yeah I get the joke that watmm is supposedly a group of overly obsessed fans who study printing methods on mysterious photographs, we are far less creepy than what only needs to be a handful of Google or Bandcamp employees with the right access and properly aligned disposition/lack of ethics.

I'm guessing this NME journalist hasn't read Julian Assange's new Google book.

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Guest Abstract Daddy

I'd say look for spelling mistakes but if he can dowload and get a cracked version of renoise to work and make decent music he's probably not too bad at spelling.

180db feels really dark to me for some reason. (?) It makes me want to jam out and smash a TV or something in a dark warehouse.

i said that to somebody today, this track is violent ! like it doesn't belong here, this is why it's short, he needed to express some nerves in there, for sure,

it was 180p_ or the postman !

Upon first impression Syro u4473t8+8 sounds like a fleshless anus on legs with an eyeball peering out of the aforementioned slot. It's like a cross between Hellraiser 2 and Monsters Inc.

Guest Roksen Creek

Circlont14 and Bit 9d sound dark to me as well as parts of many other tracks. Maybe I'm projecting lol

the opening to Circlon14 is the darkest part of the album for me, after the 1/3rd point it gets pretty up beat almost sort of Brazilian street festival vibes. In a weird way the more happy parts remind me a lot of a guy i know Scuzi who made a lot of AFX inspired music

Edit: actually forgot about PSilosamples
, getting strong vibes of that

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Guest Roksen Creek

I think that's one of the things I find fascinating about the album so far, there seems to be a lot of conflicting emotions and changing moods even within the same track.

what's interesting to me is how much crap he does with manipulated voices in this one. It's like cliffs+mould+meltphace da da da dum dum dum voice x 100000

I'm trying to do a track now that heavily modifies cheap recording of popular radio song off laptop mic and makes it unrecognizable. I used to look for THE WEIRDEST sample but listening to syro there is so much you can do with the most innocuous sample/voice bit. Also lush acidic sounds w/o 303/real 303 and blurring that line where you don't know if it's synthesized/drum machine/break/vocal/ all of these things at once

not all the tracks have hit me yet/seem almost like a pisstake but I'm sure they're not. shroomingmix is the one where the voices really spook/amaze me like a fast meltphace

edit: added 'lush' this was necessary/important to add

Edited by Ragnar