IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

To those that weren't really in to it, were you listening on headphones or speakers? I've noticed blasting it on speakers makes a huge difference over listening on headphones. I'm glad I listened to it on vinyl first time round, when I went to listen to it in my room with headphones on after, it definitely didn't feel nearly as good. I know this applies to a lot of music, but something like Drukqs is much better on headphones for me. Syro is very different.

I've listened on two different sets of high-end heaphones, I'm sure that's only a minor factor.

I didn't just say I'm not into it, I also gave a reason: I'm not seeing the clear and focused use of sounds and of structure that I am used to in my favorite aphex tracks. I am definitely getting aphex's interesting sound choices and all that loud and clear, but what I'm missing is how it's all put together. Can someone comment on this?

There are specific things I like about all of aphex's music which are missing from this release. that's what kills me.

Guest Roksen Creek

To those that weren't really in to it, were you listening on headphones or speakers? I've noticed blasting it on speakers makes a huge difference over listening on headphones. I'm glad I listened to it on vinyl first time round, when I went to listen to it in my room with headphones on after, it definitely didn't feel nearly as good. I know this applies to a lot of music, but something like Drukqs is much better on headphones for me. Syro is very different.

I've listened on two different sets of high-end heaphones, I'm sure that's only a minor factor.

I didn't just say I'm not into it, I also gave a reason: I'm not seeing the clear and focused use of sounds and of structure that I am used to in my favorite aphex tracks. I am definitely getting aphex's interesting sound choices and all that loud and clear, but what I'm missing is how it's all put together. Can someone comment on this?

There are specific things I like about all of aphex's music which are missing from this release. that's what kills me.

Casting my mind back, I'm sure people were saying similar things about Drukqs when it was first released too. What did you think of that when you first listened to it?

So far, I don't like the album either.

To be honest, it sounds like richard noodling around with his hardware, no more no less.

I wouldn't say 'no more' but I do agree in part, tracks 6-9 sound like they were all made around the same time period with a very similar gear chain. These are the ones that come off as somewhat noodly to me but they are still great tracks. You feel this way equally about all the tracks?

Edited by John Ehrlichman

i have 12 posts and I don't like the album imo

if you have below 100 posts, seriously get the fuck out of my face. It's like really? You want me to think your noob ass has a valid opinion? unbelievable

Post count makes your opinion more valid? Get the f**k out ma face. Just shows that you have less of a life.

Just kidding but, your attitude whiffed a bit.

You haven't been around long enough to have an opinion.

:cisfor:

if you have below 100 posts, seriously get the fuck out of my face. It's like really? You want me to think your noob ass has a valid opinion? unbelievable

Post count makes your opinion more valid? Get the f**k out ma face. Just shows that you have less of a life.

I think John were taking the piss out of Limpy ...

Well that one guy with like 14 posts obviously joined just to post that he didn't like it. He's very probably a troll.

S950tx16wasr10 (Earth Portal Mix) is the only track I really can't get into yet. I absolutely love the intro, the closest Aphex has ever gotten to classic jungle (that one single pitch up of the break at :48? brilliant) but after those little FM melodies come in the track falls apart for me

I think John were taking the piss out of Limpy ...

Well that one guy with like 14 posts obviously joined just to post that he didn't like it. He's very probably Bibio.

Casting my mind back, I'm sure people were saying similar things about Drukqs when it was first released too. What did you think of that when you first listened to it?

Some tracks took me a while (ziggomatic). However, all aphex releases have at least a few tracks that just throw me into ecstasy on the first listening. For Drukqs it was vordhosbn, which still blows my mind. For analord, I even remember where I was when bwoon dub came on the first time, I even remember where I was when the secondary melody came on later in the track. the repeat listens cracked other tracks open...

Well that one guy with like 14 posts obviously joined just to post that he didn't like it. He's very probably a troll.

I was taking the piss, and imo it's ridiculous to suggest that someone expressing their dislike for something is 'probably a troll'. If his post had like a mean spirited tirade about how everybody who loves Syro has shit in their ears you might have a point. Too much thin-skin ruins a good forum like Watmm.

Edited by John Ehrlichman

You're comparing it to other stuff too much man.

Take it for what it is.

I never expected anything, in fact I wasn't expecting it to live up to the hype but yeah, take it for what it is, listen to it with fresh ears (whatever that means)....

Of course there'll be stand it tunes. Just take it for what is man.

And yes I am drunk lol

It's decent though.

Edited by calx

So far, I don't like the album either.

To be honest, it sounds like richard noodling around with his hardware, no more no less.

I wouldn't 'say no more' but I do agree in part, tracks 6-9 sound like they were all made around the same time period with a very similar gear chain. These are the ones that come off as somewhat noodly to me but they are still great tracks. You feel this way equally about all the tracks?

The main jarring thing I notice is that a track will be going, and I wait to hear it take some interesting turn, but instead I feel like I get thrown some random experiment with his gear. the flow/structure of the tracks does not seem to have the glorious design I love in many aphex tracks. It's this haphazard meandering into gear clusters that led to my comment more than anything....

Guest HokusPoker

I was taking the piss, and imo it's ridiculous to suggest that someone expressing their dislike for something is 'probably a troll'. If his post had like a mean spirited tirade about how everybody who loves Syro has shit in their ears you might have a point. Too much think-skin ruins a good forum like Watmm.

Don't bother, he hasn't been able to understand that some people may just not like the album. In his opinion they're either wrong or trolls.

I was taking the piss, and imo it's ridiculous to suggest that someone expressing their dislike for something is 'probably a troll'. If his post had like a mean spirited tirade about how everybody who loves Syro has shit in their ears you might have a point. Too much think-skin ruins a good forum like Watmm.

Don't bother, he hasn't been able to understand that some people may just not like the album. In his opinion they're either wrong or trolls.

He had like 14 posts and every post he's posted so far was negative in some sense. I haven't seen any other kind of post from him. Which is why I think he's just trolling. His posts also sound angry in some way. I see no reason to join to just to post about an album I don't like.

Plus I think we're not talking about the same guy. This other guy was like 10 pages back.

And Hokus you've got me all figured out don't ya.

Guest HokusPoker

He had like 14 posts and every post he's posted so far was negative in some sense. I haven't seen any other kind of post from him. Which is why I think he's just trolling. His posts also sound angry in some way. I see no reason to join to just to post about an album I don't like.

Plus I think we're not talking about the same guy. This other guy was like 10 pages back.

And Hokus you've got me all figured out don't ya.

WATMM has gotten a lot of attention through CAT023, so it's quite likely that many new users join and that not all of them like the album, but still would like to talk about that. Nothing funky there.

I'm not talking about anybody specific here, I just find your rather aggressive behaviour a bit annoying. No need to feel attacked, unless you're Richard, and even then: let people have their opinions and don't tell them they're wrong. It's ok to dislike!

WATMM has gotten a lot of attention through CAT023, so it's quite likely that many new users join and that not all of them like the album, but still would like to talk about that. Nothing funky there.

I'm not talking about anybody specific here, I just find your rather aggressive behaviour a bit annoying. No need to feel attacked, unless you're Richard, and even then: let people have their opinions and don't tell them they're wrong. It's ok to dislike!

Hey I never told that guy he was wrong. I never even responded to him. I don't even remember his name. If you remember it's the guy that rated the album a 2/10. Like how could the whole album just be that dull? He's the only person I've seen doing that too.

I have responded to a few people wondering why, like if they could verbalize why they don't like something purely because I'm curious. Though I GUESS I should add the disclaimer that I'm curious verses I'm pissed off that they don't like it. I personally don't care for 180db for earth portal too much, except the end of earth portal.

That said there are a some things that are annoying me about the criticism.. like that it's not innovative enough... stuff like that. I don't get that. So I ask.

Edited by Brisbot

guys the only way out of this is to seppuku like men

(its also the only real way to experience syro)

okay maybe I should read the last few pages of the thread. I think I missed something. But I don't feel like it. Oh well.