IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

I've caved but still only listened to the tracks that were available live beforehand and I already think this is my favorite rdj album ever. Definitely drukqs level but in a completely different way. it's amazing

I can't wait to hear the stuff that is actually a new release not a re-release of live stuff, and the japanese bonus track that is supposedly really new

holy fuck i can't wait to get my CD it's hard to not hit slsk

Estimated delivery date: September 24

Bleep you fucking whore.

nice poem

HAHAHA! I didn't realize that it rhymed.

perform it in a poet club while wearing a black turtleneck, i'll play the bongos while the crowd snaps their fingers

Guest Snazzell

Estimated delivery date: September 24

Bleep you fucking whore.

nice poem

HAHAHA! I didn't realize that it rhymed.

perform it in a poet club while wearing a black turtleneck, i'll play the bongos while the crowd snaps their fingers

im6K8Db.png

im streeming this on bleep and the songs are so much shorter than they're supposed to be. the songs end so abruptly but i think it will catch on and before you know it all IDM will be like 1 minute songs with mysterious bop endings like that. they're great im not complaining.

I feel similarly. At the moment only the first three tracks are really doing anything for me, but I am willing to give it more time. Those first three are ace, though.

I am also looking forward to hearing more of his other stuff.

After several listens i began to love that album. this album came at the right time in my point of life. It gave me something I've missed from music. I listen to a lot of stuff, metal, hip-hop, classical, electronic stuff, there are always mind blowing things to enjoy (like that last Meshuggah-Album, love it)

But once in a while there comes something around that touches you deep inside and awakens something. Something that kick starts you into a mode where you get more productive. Since I've first heard it on spotify on Friday, many things happened in those days to me personally in a good way, and syro is the soundtrack to that period that fit perfectly.

I will listen to it maybe for a few more days, but then i have to shelve it. Don't want to OD on it.

Edited by Rakataz

is anyone else in love with Circlont Syrobonkus Mix?

Fuck yes, it's getting better every time I listen to it. It's definitely clicked with me after about 3 plays. C-c-casssioooo esss zed :music:

Finally. About to listen and will share my thoughts after about 4 listens.

10691862_497816473654510_1562065431_n.jp

not a great album at all imo. not that i care because i expected it to be so.

some moments are nice, some elements are fun or interesting but the tracks don't do much to me. sounds uninspired and uninspiring. most harmonies are rather poor, the beats are too rigid and linear for my taste, the whole stuff lacks groove and feeling. on a positive note, some stuff is reminiscent of ceephax, luke vibert, luke eargoggle, which is fun. favourite tracks: 3, 5, 7.

can't wait to hear the next albums! hopefully they will sound more interesting to my ears

interesting choice of tracks...and +1 for the luke eargoggle reference, but you blew your troll-cover w "lacks groove and feeling"...

Guest chops727

Had to respond to this one, Coz its pretty annoying/funny.

Personally, I thought it could have been trimmed down to a single disc but I’m not reviewing that album so time to move on.

hmm sounds like that's exactly what your not doing from 1992-96 ha!

blimp floating over London - itself eerily reminiscent of the same stunt Pink Floyd pulled at Battersea Power Station back in 1977.

move on teach, a lot of us weren’t even born then!
:)

Minipops 67 [120.2][source field mix] - a piece that could easily serve as a showcase for all his separate styles all rolled into one piece of sonic beauty. It’s an album highlight.

But you say at the end let's hope he moves on BUT begin by saying "piece of sonic beauty", well if an artist I liked made something I considered a sonic beauty then I why would I want them to end the chapter?
You sound confused sir.

Unfortunately, there are precious few others. Already, even at this point, I can sense the lower-lip trembling and all-consuming rage that some will feel at the very mention of anything detrimental to their deity. Relax, it's just one guy's opinion.

Actually sounds like your in a bit of “lower-lip trembling and all-consuming rage” yourself while pretending to be relaxed & polite, is that your spider sense?

Of course, if you’re one of the hoards of die-hard Aphex fans who proclaim everything he has ever done as evidence of some kind of electronic genius, a musical Mozart of the modern age, then you’ll likely enjoy every single moment of this album. I'm happy for you.

But are you ? because you just sound bitter to me.

Fans don't say that crap about Mozart, just magazines etc

Hoards of fans..ewww bet none of them are home owners either, probably don't wash regularly either.
Doesn’t sound at all like your happy about the thought of other people enjoying someones music you don’t .

In a 1990 interview given to ’Sound On Sound’, Brian Eno complained about electronic bands like Tangerine Dream simply spending more time on using an ever-increasing assortment of equipment to the detriment of the output. His argument was that limiting oneself to a Yamaha DX7 or Roland D50 (staple keyboards from that time) meant you could concentrate on the music itself.

Cool story bro.
Yes, especially liked the work Eno did with U2 and Coldplay, thought we could all learn from those moves of artistic integrity.
So do you think Syro would have been better if it had solely been done on a dx7 & d50?

That's an amazing tip there, you should email Warp and let them know, your wasted teaching english!

When I listen to Syro, I am reminded of how that kind of sentiment has fallen on deaf ears.

haha so awesome, what is it you do again, teacher? Never could have guessed.
Used to telling people what to do all the time, listening to the sound of your own voice everyday all day long?
Ok that’s it give rich a weeks detention! And make him read old copies of Sound on Sound!

There is even a list of all the equipment used on the album. That may look impressive to other electronic types but the results are less than stellar. Having a battery of expensive vintage equipment at your disposal doesn’t count if you cannot coax real beauty out of it.

OMFG a list you say ? Surely not, the little bugger, shit the fkin bed, well I for one found it really interesting, been wanting to know for years what kind of gear he uses.

However, before I am accused of heresy by the legion of Aphex nerds sat in only their underwear, furiously typing away on message boards while living in rented accommodation,

Do you own your own house then?
If one owns ones own home does one then have more musical say over one who is in rented accommodation?
I’ve wanted to say this for years, “Sir , your a snobby prick!”
I thought you said you were happy for Aphex fans or was that not really true ?

Guest chops727
Syro does have some out-standing moments. Apart from the superb first track, there is the truly excellent produk 29 [101] which builds very nicely indeed with a majestic, melodic chord sequence that is exactly what Aphex Twin does best. Another very good piece is PAPAT4 [155][pineal mix] with Paul McCartney pads in evidence and some nice ethereal synth work in the background.

So that’s 3 tracks you really like but want the chapter ended, hmm your a bit of a confused fellow are you not?

Thy-re not pads either, pads are more sustained.

And for me, that’s it basically. The rest is mostly devoid of any real melody, lots of random bleeps and noises,

Things sound random when you can’t spot the patterns .

SOSW was much simpler, so you spot the patterns much easier.

My dad often says the music I Iisten to is random noise.

I find you have to invest more time in albums like Drukqs or Syro but its ultimately more rewarding imo .

clever programming and yet cold and emotionless.

Couldn’t be further from the truth, its choc full of emotion, my guess is you feel so unfulfilled with your life as an english teacher that your not receptive enough to get it, quit teaching now!

Sell that house of yours, tell the missus or whoever to do one, buy loads of weed with the money, get a rented flat and you will fall in love with Syro, I promise!

However, if you prefer his early 1990s output, you may listen to Syro and wonder where all the melodies went.

Im a big fan of SOSW and can see WAY more melodies in SYRO.

Personally, I liked the stripped back beauty between 1992 and 1996 (minus the Drum & Bass stuff). It was music where simpler drum patterns were complimented by beautiful and haunting melodies. With Syro, the need to cram as much sound into every single moment makes for little more than a sprawling mess. I lost count of the times when I thought: There's a lot going on but it's doing nothing for me.

Just load it into Traktor (it's dj software for computer) loop 4 bars at a time for a minute or so and then move the loop forward and repeat.

By that point, Aphex Twin had become a brand

The day he released his first record he became a brand.

He could have released an album of modulated feedback and people would have bought into it if marketed correctly with just the right controversial video.

Whats wrong with modulated feedback?

The kids today, call that bloody music!

Which people? how many of them? What kind of controversial video would make that work?

Id like to see that.

This kind of thing is best left to a minimalist like Harold Budd -

move on!

Ha ok, yeah note to every artist in the world , don’t make any music on a piano, leave it to old Harold.

My friend just told me how he broke down in tears to that last track, he is having a hard time right now…actually he just got kicked out of his rented accommodation, no joke!

A composer who can invest emotion in practically every note. Richard D James is a fantastic programmer but his piano work is forgettable.

Composer/programmer, people compose on computers these days sir.

Playing it live (with a real grand piano swinging back and forth like a pendulum) doesn’t turn it into a work of genius. Aphex fans will disagree again, I’m sure.

I loved that , inspired, and I thought it sounded and looked unfriggin believable and I like harold B.

I think we should swing you from the Barbican roof and make you listen to Syro all day while shining all those lasers in your eyes!

+get aphex to control you with max patch

For Aphex Twin with his reputation and rabid fan base, it must be difficult to please everyone. It's the old conundrum. Do I give them the early style stuff or the later periods of work? As an artist, I admire his ability to avoid falling into that trap - he simply creates whatever he wants, which is exactly what any artist should do. As a composer, the work exists for you first, everyone else comes later.

agreed.

Hell, what do I know? I'm an English teacher - not a musician.

Well you just told us a whole load of stuff you thought you knew, so now you saying you don’t know anything coz your a teacher?

or is that just a trick to make us think your very humble? but actually your not?

Yeah but english teachers are well clever, everyone knows that, so don’t belittle yourself so easily old bean.

[ ] Not told
[ ] Told
[x] Toldasaurus Rex
[x] Cash4told.com
[x] No country for told men
[x] Knights of the told Republic
[x] Aphex Told

[x] Circtold6A [syrotoldus Mix]

[x] Tolds Of Canada

[x] Toldqs

[x] Anatolds

[x] Autoldre