IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

Got my vinyl today, avoided any leaks as I wanted to listen to it from said vinyl in a darkened room on headphones. Was everything I expected and so much more. Everytime I listen to it at the moment I could swear it didn't sound like that last time. Listening to it on speakers just opened up the whole album, sounded so different to headphones, mental. So dense and complex, constantly shifting, the most exciting record of 2014; fanboy or not. I had a feeling early in the year than this would be the one where we finally got to hear some new shit and I wasn't wrong! Thanks Richard for giving the fans what they've been begging for and for so many years of happy listening, here's to more to come.

Got my cd in the mail from Amoeba today (it came with a dropcard, but nothing else. Now I have 3 of those. Whoopee). Still no LP from Bleep, FFS :(

if my cd & lp from boomkat doesn't come w/ a dropcard, can i have one of yours? i'll pay for postage.

Got my cd in the mail from Amoeba today (it came with a dropcard, but nothing else. Now I have 3 of those. Whoopee). Still no LP from Bleep, FFS :(

if my cd & lp from boomkat doesn't come w/ a dropcard, can i have one of yours? i'll pay for postage.
Oooh.

If I'm going to part with one, I may want to consider eBay. You could always offer me more than shipping ;)

Sorry dawg. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Listened to it a few more times and It's getting better. Maybe in the future I will take back some things I've said... However I do not condone or agree with the lack of respect for the criticism and the negative opinions, it's fucking juvenile.

That's not a review. That's a very long piece about anything but the album. Blimps, other albums, fanboys and three tracks you like. You based your judgement on the way you didn't like the music, but you actually forgot to review the music. OK, except for the closer. That's the only part where I got the sense you actually tried to listen to the music and tried to make sense of it, regardless of your personal taste. Wow, I'd almost think you'd know how to review an album. Too bad you forgot to listen to the rest of the stuff you didn't like.

Here's a tip: there's a difference between not liking music but respecting it, and just not have any respect for the music whatsoever. If you can't respect the music you're trying to review, you shouldn't review it. Next time, try to respect the music, even if you don't like it.

bingo

That's not a review. That's a very long piece about anything but the album. Blimps, other albums, fanboys and three tracks you like. You based your judgement on the way you didn't like the music, but you actually forgot to review the music. OK, except for the closer. That's the only part where I got the sense you actually tried to listen to the music and tried to make sense of it, regardless of your personal taste. Wow, I'd almost think you'd know how to review an album. Too bad you forgot to listen to the rest of the stuff you didn't like.

Here's a tip: there's a difference between not liking music but respecting it, and just not have any respect for the music whatsoever. If you can't respect the music you're trying to review, you shouldn't review it. Next time, try to respect the music, even if you don't like it.

bingo

Oooh.

If I'm going to part with one, I may want to consider eBay. You could always offer me more than shipping ;)

Sorry dawg. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

lel

The guy who did that review there doesn't seem like a very attentive listener, based on the comparisons he was making. I wouldn't get all worked up over an uninformed opinion. If a dude from Kentucky who mostly listened to Lynyrd Skynyrd and thinks "techno is for fairies" didn't like Syro it would be pretty much the same thing.

[ ] Not told

[ ] Told

[x] Toldasaurus Rex

[x] Cash4told.com

[x] No country for told men

[x] Knights of the told Republic

[x] Aphex Told

[x] Circtold6A [syrotoldus Mix]

[x] Tolds Of Canada

[x] Toldqs

[x] Anatolds

[x] Autoldre

[x] Minitolds 67 (Source Told Mix)

[x] fz pseudotoldstretch+e+3

[x] Told To Daddy

[x] I Told Because You Do

[x] Metoldies From Mars

[x] Richtold D James Album

[x] Wintoldlicker

[x] Selected Ambient Tolds 85-92

[x] Polytold Window

[x] Ventoldin (The Remixes)

[x] S950tx16wasr10 (Earth Toldal Mix)

[x] XMAS_EVET10 (Thanatold3 Mix)

[x] 26 Mixes for Told

[x] Hangable Auto Told

flol. best thing in pages.

Syro does have some out-standing moments. Apart from the superb first track, there is the truly excellent produk 29 [101] which builds very nicely indeed with a majestic, melodic chord sequence that is exactly what Aphex Twin does best. Another very good piece is PAPAT4 [155][pineal mix] with Paul McCartney pads in evidence and some nice ethereal synth work in the background.

So that’s 3 tracks you really like but want the chapter ended, hmm your a bit of a confused fellow are you not?

Thy-re not pads either, pads are more sustained.

And for me, that’s it basically. The rest is mostly devoid of any real melody, lots of random bleeps and noises,

Things sound random when you can’t spot the patterns .
SOSW was much simpler, so you spot the patterns much easier.

My dad often says the music I Iisten to is random noise.
I find you have to invest more time in albums like Drukqs or Syro but its ultimately more rewarding imo .

clever programming and yet cold and emotionless.

Couldn’t be further from the truth, its choc full of emotion, my guess is you feel so unfulfilled with your life as an english teacher that your not receptive enough to get it, quit teaching now!
Sell that house of yours, tell the missus or whoever to do one, buy loads of weed with the money, get a rented flat and you will fall in love with Syro, I promise!

However, if you prefer his early 1990s output, you may listen to Syro and wonder where all the melodies went.

Im a big fan of SOSW and can see WAY more melodies in SYRO.

Personally, I liked the stripped back beauty between 1992 and 1996 (minus the Drum & Bass stuff). It was music where simpler drum patterns were complimented by beautiful and haunting melodies. With Syro, the need to cram as much sound into every single moment makes for little more than a sprawling mess. I lost count of the times when I thought: There's a lot going on but it's doing nothing for me.

Just load it into Traktor (it's dj software for computer) loop 4 bars at a time for a minute or so and then move the loop forward and repeat.

By that point, Aphex Twin had become a brand

The day he released his first record he became a brand.

He could have released an album of modulated feedback and people would have bought into it if marketed correctly with just the right controversial video.

Whats wrong with modulated feedback?

The kids today, call that bloody music!
Which people? how many of them? What kind of controversial video would make that work?

Id like to see that.

This kind of thing is best left to a minimalist like Harold Budd -

move on!
Ha ok, yeah note to every artist in the world , don’t make any music on a piano, leave it to old Harold.
My friend just told me how he broke down in tears to that last track, he is having a hard time right now…actually he just got kicked out of his rented accommodation, no joke!

A composer who can invest emotion in practically every note. Richard D James is a fantastic programmer but his piano work is forgettable.

Composer/programmer, people compose on computers these days sir.

Playing it live (with a real grand piano swinging back and forth like a pendulum) doesn’t turn it into a work of genius. Aphex fans will disagree again, I’m sure.

I loved that , inspired, and I thought it sounded and looked unfriggin believable and I like harold B.

I think we should swing you from the Barbican roof and make you listen to Syro all day while shining all those lasers in your eyes!

+get aphex to control you with max patch

For Aphex Twin with his reputation and rabid fan base, it must be difficult to please everyone. It's the old conundrum. Do I give them the early style stuff or the later periods of work? As an artist, I admire his ability to avoid falling into that trap - he simply creates whatever he wants, which is exactly what any artist should do. As a composer, the work exists for you first, everyone else comes later.

agreed.

Hell, what do I know? I'm an English teacher - not a musician.

Well you just told us a whole load of stuff you thought you knew, so now you saying you don’t know anything coz your a teacher?
or is that just a trick to make us think your very humble? but actually your not?
Yeah but english teachers are well clever, everyone knows that, so don’t belittle yourself so easily old bean.

Sup Richard! :D

Guest ZombieLincoln666

I don't find the tracks to be as memorable or emotionally resonant as his other releases, including The Tuss. But I'm sure someone here will inform me that I am wrong about my opinion.

Edited by ZombieLincoln666

got my blerp vinylz today (Monday) in flyover nowheresville midwest usa

DAMN!!!

I'm not pre-ordering from Bleep again. I live in LOS FUCKING ANGELES and my package tracking says…

• "Expected Delivery Day: Thursday, September 25, 2014"

suicide.gif

That's what I get for pre-ordering the instant it goes live.

If it doesn't come with crazy swag, I'm gonna raise hell.

Edited by J3FF3R00

DAMN!!!

I'm not pre-ordering from Bleep again. I live in LOS FUCKING ANGELES and my package tracking says…

suicide.gif

Got mine off amazon and its coming tomorrow lol gf

DAMN!!!

suicide.gif

I feel you, I'm also in LA. Mine (ordered from bleep) also hasn't come yet, I went ahead and just bought another copy from Amoeba yesterday.