IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

got my blerp vinylz today (Monday) in flyover nowheresville midwest usa

DAMN!!!

I'm not pre-ordering from Bleep again. I live in LOS FUCKING ANGELES and my package tracking says…

• "Expected Delivery Day: Thursday, September 25, 2014"

suicide.gif

That's what I get for pre-ordering the instant it goes live.

If it doesn't come with crazy swag, I'm gonna raise hell.

my LP didnt show up yet & i saw it in shops last friday but honestly, who cares, i bought it via bleep, DL the leaks, its not the end of the world. i'll spin the lp later, that's what the leaks are here for :-)

got my blerp vinylz today (Monday) in flyover nowheresville midwest usa

DAMN!!!

I'm not pre-ordering from Bleep again. I live in LOS FUCKING ANGELES and my package tracking says

• "Expected Delivery Day: Thursday, September 25, 2014"

suicide.gif

That's what I get for pre-ordering the instant it goes live.

If it doesn't come with crazy swag, I'm gonna raise hell.

my LP didnt show up yet & i saw it in shops last friday but honestly, who cares, i bought it via bleep, DL the leaks, its not the end of the world. i'll spin the lp later, that's what the leaks are here for :-)

I thankfully have the official mp3s from bleep already (not that I found out from them about that either). That's not the issue. The issue is paying for this thing before the record stores even know about it and not getting my goods until everyone else on earth has a copy.

Guest jasondonervan

in NY!!! i believe it's in great britain...

jasondonervan, i read under your moniker : Japan-Only Bonus Track. Do u have the 13th track of Syro in lossless?

lol

Let the WATMM records show that my moniker was 'Japan-Only Bonus Track' prior to the discovery of MARCHROMT30A being a delightfully tasty tune :cool:

No FLAC here. I don't have my CD from Amazon Japan yet, in fact it's just prepping for shipment now! :yeah:

in NY!!! i believe it's in great britain...

jasondonervan, i read under your moniker : Japan-Only Bonus Track. Do u have the 13th track of Syro in lossless?

lol

Let the WATMM records show that my moniker was 'Japan-Only Bonus Track' prior to the discovery of MARCHROMT30A being a delightfully tasty tune :cool:

No FLAC here. I don't have my CD from Amazon Japan yet, in fact it's just prepping for shipment now! :yeah:

asian santa

free_1614572.jpg

Guys... there's one obsessive, autistic, pedantic factor of the album that we have not murdered eachother over yet:

How the hell do you tag the tracks?

On discogs and http://www.freedb.org/ it looks like "Syro U473t8+e (Piezoluminescence Mix)"

But on the official download from Bleep it looks like "syro u473t8+e [141.98][piezoluminescence mix]"

I mean, what gives? On the album the BPM is listed behind the tracks, but Bleep put it right in the middle? Should that even be there? Is Bleep taking liberties with the tagging, or is it exactely as Aphex intended? Do you have to use [] or ()? Should the mixes be in () and the BPM behind the tracks in [] ?

I need to know this! And don't give me that "who cares it doesnt matter stfu" shit.

*foams at mouth*

*rocks back and forth in foetal position on the floor*

Guys... there's one obsessive, autistic, pedantic factor of the album that we have not murdered eachother over yet:

On discogs and http://www.freedb.org/ it looks like "Syro U473t8+e (Piezoluminescence Mix)"

But on the official download from Bleep it looks like "syro u473t8+e [141.98][piezoluminescence mix]"

I mean, what gives? On the album the BPM is listed behind the tracks, but Bleep put it right in the middle? Should that even be there? Is Bleep taking liberties with the tagging, or is it exactely as Aphex intended? Do you have to use [] or ()? Should the mixes be in () and the BPM behind the tracks in [] ?

I need to know this! And don't give me that "who cares it doesnt matter stfu" shit.

*foams at mouth*

Yeah this confused me too, not sure whether the tracks are supposed to include the BPM's or not, and if then where they should be in the title.

RDJ probably doesn't even know.

So I spent most of the weekend listening to it on my AKG on ear phones, it sounded great! Switched on Monday & Tuesday to my in-ear headphones and it sounds terrible! The bass has no control whatsoever, it just sounds real messy, I'll be avoiding listening to it that way again.

Lookin forward to eventually having a quiet house (no wife, no kids) to try it out on my CD player :)

i don't care the BPM, here is my tracklist as i find/dwld from bleep :

minipops 67 (source field mix)
XMAS_EVET10 (thanaton3 mix)
produk 29
4 bit 9d api+e+6
180db_
CIRCLONT6A (syrobonkus mix)
fz pseudotimestretch+e+3
CIRCLONT6A (shrymoming mix)
syro u473t8+e (piezoluminescence mix)
PAPAT4 (pineal mix)
s950tx16wasr10 (earth portal mix)
aisatsana

EDIT:

uses [] for BPM & () for the mix version

Edited by Anchio Arch io Son Pittore

*foams at mouth*

Yeah this confused me too, not sure whether the tracks are supposed to include the BPM's or not, and if then where they should be in the title.

I have everything titled the way it's on the packaging, ignoring the BPM because of where it's positioned on the artwork (same reasoning as why you wouldn't put a track duration in the title tag). So I used parentheses and left the letter case completely intact (using the Discogs guidelines just looks wrong here IMO).

This tagging method satisfies me even though it doesn't follow my usual system, it just feels right. :wang:

i don't care the BPM, here is my tracklist as i find/dwld from bleep :

minipops 67 (source field mix)

XMAS_EVET10 (thanaton3 mix)

produk 29

4 bit 9d api+e+6

180db_

CIRCLONT6A (syrobonkus mix)

fz pseudotimestretch+e+3

CIRCLONT14 (shrymoming mix)

syro u473t8+e (piezoluminescence mix)

PAPAT4 (pineal mix)

s950tx16wasr10 (earth portal mix)

aisatsana

EDIT:

uses [] for BPM & () for the mix version

EDIT

Edited by Anchio Arch io Son Pittore

*foams at mouth*

I have everything titled the way it's on the packaging, ignoring the BPM because of where it's positioned on the artwork (same reasoning as why you wouldn't put a track duration in the title tag). So I used parentheses and left the letter case completely intact (using the Discogs guidelines just looks wrong here IMO).

This tagging method satisfies me even though it doesn't follow my usual system, it just feels right. :wang:

That's what I would go for too, makes more sense and looks better. Although, if the Bleep tagging was done exactely as The Man intended, I would tend to go for that. But we'll probably never find out.

Unless Joyrex sends a mail to him of course. I'm sure he won't mind being bothered by trivial pedantic matters such as this.

*stares wide-eyed at Joyrex*

WideEyes.jpg

Syro does have some out-standing moments. Apart from the superb first track, there is the truly excellent produk 29 [101] which builds very nicely indeed with a majestic, melodic chord sequence that is exactly what Aphex Twin does best. Another very good piece is PAPAT4 [155][pineal mix] with Paul McCartney pads in evidence and some nice ethereal synth work in the background.

So that’s 3 tracks you really like but want the chapter ended, hmm your a bit of a confused fellow are you not?

Thy-re not pads either, pads are more sustained.

And for me, that’s it basically. The rest is mostly devoid of any real melody, lots of random bleeps and noises,

Things sound random when you can’t spot the patterns .

SOSW was much simpler, so you spot the patterns much easier.

My dad often says the music I Iisten to is random noise.

I find you have to invest more time in albums like Drukqs or Syro but its ultimately more rewarding imo .

clever programming and yet cold and emotionless.

Couldn’t be further from the truth, its choc full of emotion, my guess is you feel so unfulfilled with your life as an english teacher that your not receptive enough to get it, quit teaching now!

Sell that house of yours, tell the missus or whoever to do one, buy loads of weed with the money, get a rented flat and you will fall in love with Syro, I promise!

However, if you prefer his early 1990s output, you may listen to Syro and wonder where all the melodies went.

Im a big fan of SOSW and can see WAY more melodies in SYRO.

Personally, I liked the stripped back beauty between 1992 and 1996 (minus the Drum & Bass stuff). It was music where simpler drum patterns were complimented by beautiful and haunting melodies. With Syro, the need to cram as much sound into every single moment makes for little more than a sprawling mess. I lost count of the times when I thought: There's a lot going on but it's doing nothing for me.

Just load it into Traktor (it's dj software for computer) loop 4 bars at a time for a minute or so and then move the loop forward and repeat.

By that point, Aphex Twin had become a brand

The day he released his first record he became a brand.

He could have released an album of modulated feedback and people would have bought into it if marketed correctly with just the right controversial video.

Whats wrong with modulated feedback?

The kids today, call that bloody music!

Which people? how many of them? What kind of controversial video would make that work?

Id like to see that.

This kind of thing is best left to a minimalist like Harold Budd -

move on!

Ha ok, yeah note to every artist in the world , don’t make any music on a piano, leave it to old Harold.

My friend just told me how he broke down in tears to that last track, he is having a hard time right now…actually he just got kicked out of his rented accommodation, no joke!

A composer who can invest emotion in practically every note. Richard D James is a fantastic programmer but his piano work is forgettable.

Composer/programmer, people compose on computers these days sir.

Playing it live (with a real grand piano swinging back and forth like a pendulum) doesn’t turn it into a work of genius. Aphex fans will disagree again, I’m sure.

I loved that , inspired, and I thought it sounded and looked unfriggin believable and I like harold B.

I think we should swing you from the Barbican roof and make you listen to Syro all day while shining all those lasers in your eyes!

+get aphex to control you with max patch

For Aphex Twin with his reputation and rabid fan base, it must be difficult to please everyone. It's the old conundrum. Do I give them the early style stuff or the later periods of work? As an artist, I admire his ability to avoid falling into that trap - he simply creates whatever he wants, which is exactly what any artist should do. As a composer, the work exists for you first, everyone else comes later.

agreed.

Hell, what do I know? I'm an English teacher - not a musician.

Well you just told us a whole load of stuff you thought you knew, so now you saying you don’t know anything coz your a teacher?

or is that just a trick to make us think your very humble? but actually your not?

Yeah but english teachers are well clever, everyone knows that, so don’t belittle yourself so easily old bean.

Sup Richard! :D

richard needs to learn the difference between your and you're

I don't find the tracks to be as memorable or emotionally resonant as his other releases, including The Tuss. But I'm sure someone here will inform me that I am wrong about my opinion.

Init.

I think I have figured it out; it sounds like he has been given a sample pack by someone and told to make an album, rather than circuit bending like a maniac, and making something so resonantly massive and mentally penetrating, it takes over your very dreams. Like his older stuff did.