IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

I don't find the tracks to be as memorable or emotionally resonant as his other releases, including The Tuss. But I'm sure someone here will inform me that I am wrong about my opinion.

Init.

I think I have figured it out; it sounds like he has been given a sample pack by someone and told to make an album, rather than circuit bending like a maniac, and making something so resonantly massive and mentally penetrating, it takes over your very dreams. Like his older stuff did.

I definitely wouldn't say these sounds feel like they're from a sample pack....

Actually he seems to be resisting stock sounds as much as ever, or at least not using them as any kind of crutch.

that wood though.

What's up with that?

zebrawood. the idm of wood. unless you count african blackwood maybe

Edited by olo

Of course, if you’re one of the hoards of die-hard Aphex fans who proclaim everything he has ever done as evidence of some kind of electronic genius, a musical Mozart of the modern age, then you’ll likely enjoy every single moment of this album. I'm happy for you.

But are you ? because you just sound bitter to me.

Fans don't say that crap about Mozart, just magazines etc

Hoards of fans..ewww bet none of them are home owners either, probably don't wash regularly either.

Doesn’t sound at all like your happy about the thought of other people enjoying someones music you don’t .

However, before I am accused of heresy by the legion of Aphex nerds sat in only their underwear, furiously typing away on message boards while living in rented accommodation,

Do you own your own house then?

If one owns ones own home does one then have more musical say over one who is in rented accommodation?

I’ve wanted to say this for years, “Sir , your a snobby prick!”

I thought you said you were happy for Aphex fans or was that not really true ?

I pretty much agree with the Mozart thing, unless I dont count as a fan!

And by the way, I pay rent on my studio but I hope to buy and build when there's time. And this guy must be psychic or typing in his underwear too.

Of course, if you’re one of the hoards of die-hard Aphex fans who proclaim everything he has ever done as evidence of some kind of electronic genius, a musical Mozart of the modern age, then you’ll likely enjoy every single moment of this album. I'm happy for you.

But are you ? because you just sound bitter to me.

Fans don't say that crap about Mozart, just magazines etc

Hoards of fans..ewww bet none of them are home owners either, probably don't wash regularly either.

Doesn’t sound at all like your happy about the thought of other people enjoying someones music you don’t .

However, before I am accused of heresy by the legion of Aphex nerds sat in only their underwear, furiously typing away on message boards while living in rented accommodation,

Do you own your own house then?

If one owns ones own home does one then have more musical say over one who is in rented accommodation?

I’ve wanted to say this for years, “Sir , your a snobby prick!”

I thought you said you were happy for Aphex fans or was that not really true ?

I pretty much agree with the Mozart thing, unless I dont count as a fan!

And by the way, I pay rent on my studio but I hope to buy and build when there's time. And this guy must be psychic or typing in his underwear too.

What if you own MORE than one home?

I've caved but still only listened to the tracks that were available live beforehand and I already think this is my favorite rdj album ever. Definitely drukqs level but in a completely different way. it's amazing

I can't wait to hear the stuff that is actually a new release not a re-release of live stuff, and the japanese bonus track that is supposedly really new

holy fuck i can't wait to get my CD it's hard to not hit slsk

That is some willpower right there. I caved approximately one minute after news of the leak. but sort of glad I did. STILL haven't received the LP :( And there are a ton of copies at the record store less than a mile away. Sorry bleep.. might not go down that road again.

Guest BasDirks
However, before I am accused of heresy by the legion of Aphex nerds sat in only their underwear, furiously typing away on message boards while living in rented accommodation, Syro does have some out-standing moments.

Have you realized how much of an enormous cunt you sound like? Because you do.

However, before I am accused of heresy by the legion of Aphex nerds sat in only their underwear, furiously typing away on message boards while living in rented accommodation, Syro does have some out-standing moments.

Have you realized how much of an enormous cunt you sound like? Because you do.

yep

richard needs to learn the difference between your and you're

Youre're' right!

You still took him to task though. Thoroughly enjoyable read. After I posted my little response to his "review" I realized I was way to nice. The guy is ridiculously bitter. He was just being reactionary to some of us praising an album he doesn't like and then needlessly infers die-hard fans are low lives??? Yeah.. Great review.

Youre're' right!

You still took him to task though. Thoroughly enjoyable read. After I posted my little response to his "review" I realized I was way to nice. The guy is ridiculously bitter. He was just being reactionary to some of us praising an album he doesn't like and then needlessly infers die-hard fans are low lives??? Yeah.. Great review.

I think, context aside, the music speaks for itself. Saying it's dull, emotionless, cold etc is the opinion of someone without much experience of electronic music (which, I guess, would mostly sound like that if you weren't used to it). Everyone I know who's heard this album - and has an understanding of electronic music - has praised its warmth and creativity.

Definitely just a reactionary stab at RDJ and this forum for presenting differing views.

Metadata is serious shit.

I'd leave the BPMs out.

This stuff happens all the time though. On the Come to Daddy EP the 1st track is called 'Come to Daddy (Pappy Mix)'.

By everyone just knows it as Come to Daddy.

Yeah, I'm glad someone mentioned that, I've been meaning to. There are no BPMs in the track titles. Not sure why so many in the media/fans of WATMM got that shit wrong.

I'm sure this has been pointed out before, but I love how

"Purchase of Caustic Window download codes for Warp Staff and contacts ... 0.00124 pounds"

is listed near the bottom of the actual artwork. There you go, WATMM: you have made a mark on the physical release of your God's latest release. That's pretty fucking cool.

"Purchase of Caustic Window download codes for Warp Staff and contacts ... 0.00124 pounds"

is listed near the bottom of the actual artwork. There you go, WATMM: you have made a mark on the physical release of your God's latest release. That's pretty fucking cool.

Haha, that's awesome!!

Haha, that's awesome!!

WATMM and all the members (before 22 sept 14) are part of music history

Guest HokusPoker

Youre're' right!

I think, context aside, the music speaks for itself. Saying it's dull, emotionless, cold etc is the opinion of someone without much experience of electronic music (which, I guess, would mostly sound like that if you weren't used to it). Everyone I know who's heard this album - and has an understanding of electronic music - has praised its warmth and creativity.

Definitely just a reactionary stab at RDJ and this forum for presenting differing views.

What the fuck? Everyone who has an understanding of electronic music likes this album?

Why can't you shut up and accept that some people don't like it? This elitism is getting ridiculous.

Seeing creativity is not the same as having fun while listening to it.

Guys... there's one obsessive, autistic, pedantic factor of the album that we have not murdered eachother over yet:

How the hell do you tag the tracks?

On discogs and http://www.freedb.org/ it looks like "Syro U473t8+e (Piezoluminescence Mix)"

But on the official download from Bleep it looks like "syro u473t8+e [141.98][piezoluminescence mix]"

I mean, what gives? On the album the BPM is listed behind the tracks, but Bleep put it right in the middle? Should that even be there? Is Bleep taking liberties with the tagging, or is it exactely as Aphex intended? Do you have to use [] or ()? Should the mixes be in () and the BPM behind the tracks in [] ?

I need to know this! And don't give me that "who cares it doesnt matter stfu" shit.

*foams at mouth*

*rocks back and forth in foetal position on the floor*

Yeah this confused me too, not sure whether the tracks are supposed to include the BPM's or not, and if then where they should be in the title.

RDJ probably doesn't even know.

I have everything titled the way it's on the packaging, ignoring the BPM because of where it's positioned on the artwork (same reasoning as why you wouldn't put a track duration in the title tag). So I used parentheses and left the letter case completely intact (using the Discogs guidelines just looks wrong here IMO).

This tagging method satisfies me even though it doesn't follow my usual system, it just feels right. :wang:

That's what I would go for too, makes more sense and looks better. Although, if the Bleep tagging was done exactely as The Man intended, I would tend to go for that. But we'll probably never find out.

Unless Joyrex sends a mail to him of course. I'm sure he won't mind being bothered by trivial pedantic matters such as this.

*stares wide-eyed at Joyrex*

WideEyes.jpg

Well, I can tell you from experience with the Caustic Window LP, the way Richard labels his tracks are important (he made a point of saying the track titles are not to be changed in any way when I sent out the download vouchers) - I would leave in the bpm, and use square brackets.

It was 528USD WARP paid for the downloads (33 copies) - Richard mentioned in an interview he didn't realise that was included in the artwork and wasn't sure if that should be in there (considering it had nothing to do with SYRO).

Checked out Pitchfork today? It is Syro'd out. Huge ads for it all over the place, plus the featured articles. Not sure if I've seen such a complete takeover of one artist on there before.

Guest chops727

I don't find the tracks to be as memorable or emotionally resonant as his other releases, including The Tuss. But I'm sure someone here will inform me that I am wrong about my opinion.

emotions don't resonate.

Checked out Pitchfork today? It is Syro'd out. Huge ads for it all over the place, plus the featured articles. Not sure if I've seen such a complete takeover of one artist on there before.

Pretty scary, wtf did he do for them!

What is the point of sites like pitchfork anyway?

Edited by chops727