Sign in to follow this  
chim

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

Clue: how did RDJ tag the Caustic Window tracks?

Guest Chesney

Still listening. Just wish the bass was a little more defined.

Edited by Chesney

Syro does have some out-standing moments. Apart from the superb first track, there is the truly excellent produk 29 [101] which builds very nicely indeed with a majestic, melodic chord sequence that is exactly what Aphex Twin does best. Another very good piece is PAPAT4 [155][pineal mix] with Paul McCartney pads in evidence and some nice ethereal synth work in the background.

So that’s 3 tracks you really like but want the chapter ended, hmm your a bit of a confused fellow are you not?

Thy-re not pads either, pads are more sustained.

And for me, that’s it basically. The rest is mostly devoid of any real melody, lots of random bleeps and noises,

Things sound random when you can’t spot the patterns .

SOSW was much simpler, so you spot the patterns much easier.

My dad often says the music I Iisten to is random noise.

I find you have to invest more time in albums like Drukqs or Syro but its ultimately more rewarding imo .

clever programming and yet cold and emotionless.

Couldn’t be further from the truth, its choc full of emotion, my guess is you feel so unfulfilled with your life as an english teacher that your not receptive enough to get it, quit teaching now!

Sell that house of yours, tell the missus or whoever to do one, buy loads of weed with the money, get a rented flat and you will fall in love with Syro, I promise!

However, if you prefer his early 1990s output, you may listen to Syro and wonder where all the melodies went.

Im a big fan of SOSW and can see WAY more melodies in SYRO.

Personally, I liked the stripped back beauty between 1992 and 1996 (minus the Drum & Bass stuff). It was music where simpler drum patterns were complimented by beautiful and haunting melodies. With Syro, the need to cram as much sound into every single moment makes for little more than a sprawling mess. I lost count of the times when I thought: There's a lot going on but it's doing nothing for me.

Just load it into Traktor (it's dj software for computer) loop 4 bars at a time for a minute or so and then move the loop forward and repeat.

By that point, Aphex Twin had become a brand

The day he released his first record he became a brand.

He could have released an album of modulated feedback and people would have bought into it if marketed correctly with just the right controversial video.

Whats wrong with modulated feedback?

The kids today, call that bloody music!

Which people? how many of them? What kind of controversial video would make that work?

Id like to see that.

This kind of thing is best left to a minimalist like Harold Budd -

move on!

Ha ok, yeah note to every artist in the world , don’t make any music on a piano, leave it to old Harold.

My friend just told me how he broke down in tears to that last track, he is having a hard time right now…actually he just got kicked out of his rented accommodation, no joke!

A composer who can invest emotion in practically every note. Richard D James is a fantastic programmer but his piano work is forgettable.

Composer/programmer, people compose on computers these days sir.

Playing it live (with a real grand piano swinging back and forth like a pendulum) doesn’t turn it into a work of genius. Aphex fans will disagree again, I’m sure.

I loved that , inspired, and I thought it sounded and looked unfriggin believable and I like harold B.

I think we should swing you from the Barbican roof and make you listen to Syro all day while shining all those lasers in your eyes!

+get aphex to control you with max patch

For Aphex Twin with his reputation and rabid fan base, it must be difficult to please everyone. It's the old conundrum. Do I give them the early style stuff or the later periods of work? As an artist, I admire his ability to avoid falling into that trap - he simply creates whatever he wants, which is exactly what any artist should do. As a composer, the work exists for you first, everyone else comes later.

agreed.

Hell, what do I know? I'm an English teacher - not a musician.

Well you just told us a whole load of stuff you thought you knew, so now you saying you don’t know anything coz your a teacher?

or is that just a trick to make us think your very humble? but actually your not?

Yeah but english teachers are well clever, everyone knows that, so don’t belittle yourself so easily old bean.

Sup Richard! :D

richard needs to learn the difference between your and you're

FINALLY a large package given to me by Postman Pat!

...not the Syro order!

:dry:

Metadata is serious shit.

I'd leave the BPMs out.

This stuff happens all the time though. On the Come to Daddy EP the 1st track is called 'Come to Daddy (Pappy Mix)'.

By everyone just knows it as Come to Daddy.

I don't find the tracks to be as memorable or emotionally resonant as his other releases, including The Tuss. But I'm sure someone here will inform me that I am wrong about my opinion.

Init.

I think I have figured it out; it sounds like he has been given a sample pack by someone and told to make an album, rather than circuit bending like a maniac, and making something so resonantly massive and mentally penetrating, it takes over your very dreams. Like his older stuff did.

Guest progben

I don't find the tracks to be as memorable or emotionally resonant as his other releases, including The Tuss. But I'm sure someone here will inform me that I am wrong about my opinion.

Init.

I think I have figured it out; it sounds like he has been given a sample pack by someone and told to make an album, rather than circuit bending like a maniac, and making something so resonantly massive and mentally penetrating, it takes over your very dreams. Like his older stuff did.

I definitely wouldn't say these sounds feel like they're from a sample pack....

Actually he seems to be resisting stock sounds as much as ever, or at least not using them as any kind of crutch.

that wood though.

What's up with that?

zebrawood. the idm of wood. unless you count african blackwood maybe

Edited by olo

Guest skibby
Of course, if you’re one of the hoards of die-hard Aphex fans who proclaim everything he has ever done as evidence of some kind of electronic genius, a musical Mozart of the modern age, then you’ll likely enjoy every single moment of this album. I'm happy for you.

But are you ? because you just sound bitter to me.

Fans don't say that crap about Mozart, just magazines etc

Hoards of fans..ewww bet none of them are home owners either, probably don't wash regularly either.

Doesn’t sound at all like your happy about the thought of other people enjoying someones music you don’t .

However, before I am accused of heresy by the legion of Aphex nerds sat in only their underwear, furiously typing away on message boards while living in rented accommodation,

Do you own your own house then?

If one owns ones own home does one then have more musical say over one who is in rented accommodation?

I’ve wanted to say this for years, “Sir , your a snobby prick!”

I thought you said you were happy for Aphex fans or was that not really true ?

I pretty much agree with the Mozart thing, unless I dont count as a fan!

And by the way, I pay rent on my studio but I hope to buy and build when there's time. And this guy must be psychic or typing in his underwear too.

Of course, if you’re one of the hoards of die-hard Aphex fans who proclaim everything he has ever done as evidence of some kind of electronic genius, a musical Mozart of the modern age, then you’ll likely enjoy every single moment of this album. I'm happy for you.

But are you ? because you just sound bitter to me.

Fans don't say that crap about Mozart, just magazines etc

Hoards of fans..ewww bet none of them are home owners either, probably don't wash regularly either.

Doesn’t sound at all like your happy about the thought of other people enjoying someones music you don’t .

However, before I am accused of heresy by the legion of Aphex nerds sat in only their underwear, furiously typing away on message boards while living in rented accommodation,

Do you own your own house then?

If one owns ones own home does one then have more musical say over one who is in rented accommodation?

I’ve wanted to say this for years, “Sir , your a snobby prick!”

I thought you said you were happy for Aphex fans or was that not really true ?

I pretty much agree with the Mozart thing, unless I dont count as a fan!

And by the way, I pay rent on my studio but I hope to buy and build when there's time. And this guy must be psychic or typing in his underwear too.

What if you own MORE than one home?

Brooklyn, NYC

That wall was in Wild Style wasn't it?

I've caved but still only listened to the tracks that were available live beforehand and I already think this is my favorite rdj album ever. Definitely drukqs level but in a completely different way. it's amazing

I can't wait to hear the stuff that is actually a new release not a re-release of live stuff, and the japanese bonus track that is supposedly really new

holy fuck i can't wait to get my CD it's hard to not hit slsk

That is some willpower right there. I caved approximately one minute after news of the leak. but sort of glad I did. STILL haven't received the LP :( And there are a ton of copies at the record store less than a mile away. Sorry bleep.. might not go down that road again.

Guest chops727

Youre're' right!

Guest BasDirks

that wood though.

What's up with that?

really fucking lush

Guest BasDirks
However, before I am accused of heresy by the legion of Aphex nerds sat in only their underwear, furiously typing away on message boards while living in rented accommodation, Syro does have some out-standing moments.

Have you realized how much of an enormous cunt you sound like? Because you do.

However, before I am accused of heresy by the legion of Aphex nerds sat in only their underwear, furiously typing away on message boards while living in rented accommodation, Syro does have some out-standing moments.

Have you realized how much of an enormous cunt you sound like? Because you do.

yep

Youre're' right!

You still took him to task though. Thoroughly enjoyable read. After I posted my little response to his "review" I realized I was way to nice. The guy is ridiculously bitter. He was just being reactionary to some of us praising an album he doesn't like and then needlessly infers die-hard fans are low lives??? Yeah.. Great review.

Guest progben

Youre're' right!

You still took him to task though. Thoroughly enjoyable read. After I posted my little response to his "review" I realized I was way to nice. The guy is ridiculously bitter. He was just being reactionary to some of us praising an album he doesn't like and then needlessly infers die-hard fans are low lives??? Yeah.. Great review.

I think, context aside, the music speaks for itself. Saying it's dull, emotionless, cold etc is the opinion of someone without much experience of electronic music (which, I guess, would mostly sound like that if you weren't used to it). Everyone I know who's heard this album - and has an understanding of electronic music - has praised its warmth and creativity.

Definitely just a reactionary stab at RDJ and this forum for presenting differing views.

Metadata is serious shit.

I'd leave the BPMs out.

This stuff happens all the time though. On the Come to Daddy EP the 1st track is called 'Come to Daddy (Pappy Mix)'.

By everyone just knows it as Come to Daddy.

Yeah, I'm glad someone mentioned that, I've been meaning to. There are no BPMs in the track titles. Not sure why so many in the media/fans of WATMM got that shit wrong.

I'm sure this has been pointed out before, but I love how

"Purchase of Caustic Window download codes for Warp Staff and contacts ... 0.00124 pounds"

is listed near the bottom of the actual artwork. There you go, WATMM: you have made a mark on the physical release of your God's latest release. That's pretty fucking cool.

"Purchase of Caustic Window download codes for Warp Staff and contacts ... 0.00124 pounds"

is listed near the bottom of the actual artwork. There you go, WATMM: you have made a mark on the physical release of your God's latest release. That's pretty fucking cool.

Haha, that's awesome!!

Haha, that's awesome!!

WATMM and all the members (before 22 sept 14) are part of music history

Guest HokusPoker

Youre're' right!

I think, context aside, the music speaks for itself. Saying it's dull, emotionless, cold etc is the opinion of someone without much experience of electronic music (which, I guess, would mostly sound like that if you weren't used to it). Everyone I know who's heard this album - and has an understanding of electronic music - has praised its warmth and creativity.

Definitely just a reactionary stab at RDJ and this forum for presenting differing views.

What the fuck? Everyone who has an understanding of electronic music likes this album?

Why can't you shut up and accept that some people don't like it? This elitism is getting ridiculous.

Seeing creativity is not the same as having fun while listening to it.

4 bit 9d api+e+6

i.simply.can't.stop