IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

Guest LoveRhino

The tiny treat of track 7 (pseudo time stretch or whatever) reminds me of 80s horror in the same way that White Cyclosa on Tomorrow's Harvest reminded me of the intro music to Day of the Dead.

It is funny how furious people are getting with any criticism of this release. I have just been reading through some equally lol comments on Youtube. People getting called 'cunts', etc., for saying it is a bit underwhelming or lame compared to his previous stuff. Which it is.

The most amusing angle the fanboys are taking now is saying that whoever doesn't like it clearly doesn't understand it, and is only a passing electronic music fan, probably more used to straight trance, etc. LOL. The people criticising it have mainly been those who are long term life long fans, mainly in their mid-30s, early-40s, who have been into electronic music since they were born, probably through parental influence, or whatever, and definitely know what they are talking about, so that dismissal of their opinions is clearly wrong.

Anyway, glad the fanboys have something to sperm all over, but lol at it being really a case of The Emperors New Clothes, and basically a bland noodle fest that sounds tired and just simply not that good.

The comments made by those who had heard it pre-release, of it being 'quite good' were taken as a joke and turned into a bit of a meme, but they appear to have been basically spot on.

The utterly devastating release, which would have made Drukqs look like the in-game music of Ape Escape, just didn't happen. In fact, that is what Syro reminds me of a fair bit; the ingame music of a slightly Indie turn of the century PS1 game.

lel

Coincidentally, this was the kind of music that I was listening to before Aphex Twin.

Was your first track Come to Daddy?

No. My first track was "On". Changed my life.

My 2nd was "Polygon Window" by The Dice Man, off of the Artificial Intelligence comp. That was back in 94. My buddy let me borrow both CDs and I never gave them back. The first Aphex album I actually bought was the Ventolin EP.

Is anyone who pre-ordered the Syro vinyl via Bleep still waiting for it, like myself? Seems odd to me that WATMMers in the US and Canada have already received their records and mine hasn't arrived yet, although I live closer to UK..

just got mine today from bleep, several sticker things and bag, it came in a plastic clear case thinh with his face engraved on it.

surely a mistake, its not what i ordered, ah well, gotta love bleep for happy mistakes.

I got no stickers with my LP, No bag but some rad engraved card bits. Are we all getting different things?

The utterly devastating release, which would have made Drukqs look like the in-game music of Ape Escape, just didn't happen. In fact, that is what Syro reminds me of a fair bit; the ingame music of a slightly Indie turn of the century PS1 game.

Video games could only hope to have as good of music as this album in them. It is only a sign of the lack of development of your ears that you think it sounds like video game music.

Who do you think you are talking to mate?

Guest paulhunter

Is anyone who pre-ordered the Syro vinyl via Bleep still waiting for it, like myself? Seems odd to me that WATMMers in the US and Canada have already received their records and mine hasn't arrived yet, although I live closer to UK..

Yep, me. I'm still waiting.

Just looking over that list of gear used and imagining trying to configure that lot into a working studio. It's quite incredible.

How many people could approach a set up like that and have any idea how to get anything more than a dry fart out of it? A lot of it is incredibly tedious to work with. Top quality gear but you need to know your fucking shit. The fact that he can bring that gear together into something that sounds as amazing as syro is really astonishing. The guy is a fucking monster from another planet. Reading some of the criticisms makes me sick.

The first 5 seconds of the Japan bonus track sort of resemble dry farts. Maybe that was his way of saying "this is what it actually sounds like, before I get a hold of it" :emb:

WATMM wanted Metz, Manchester and Richard farting on a snare so he delivered. No more speculation needed. This is indeed Richard’s gift for us demanding fanboyz. :w00t:

IMO there's no reason to keep looking the Japan version from ebay. You can find it from discogs with more reasonable price and you don't even have to do any bidding. Wink wink. Some ebay sellers tend to do some heavy over-pricing. I've always found what I've needed from discogs with better price.

I know this was meant to be his most accessible release to date, but I struggled to properly latch onto it from the get go. I had some tracks I really liked though. But, after nearly a week of listening to the album, I now love every single track. James was right about rewiring the brain. I normally listen to his work very closely because I enjoy subtle elements, but there are rhythms, moods and melodies in this album that I not only didn't pay much notice over the first few listens, but that I didn't even know were there at all in the first place! It's like my simple brain was on data overload and I could only process so many new things on my first few listenings. The emotion really is all in there to be found, album is a masterpiece.

XMAS_EVET10

4:09-4:40

Weird, I don't think I heard the melody that creeps in there until my second or third listen, it's so hidden under the bass and pads. It sounds like it could be something straight out of Melodies from Mars, if only it was a little more forward in the mix.

XMAS_EVET10

Weird, I don't think I heard the melody that creeps in there until my second or third listen, it's so hidden under the bass and pads. It sounds like it could be something straight out of Melodies from Mars, if only it was a little more forward in the mix.

That part feels very 4 to me.

lel at the haters...

this album is mindblowing !

a tiny, tiny mind you must have.

jesus fucking christ

what this thread has taught us so far:

If you don't like Syro you just don't understand it (and you're stupid), if you do like it you're a hopeless fanboy living in rented accomodation (and you're stupid)

WATMM

XMAS_EVET10

That part feels very 4 to me.

yeah that part is fantastic. i love the bit that comes in at 4:34 so much, definitely vibes from that era.

Edited by Gravity