IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

Why must music be groundbreaking for you to enjoy it? What's wrong with just enjoying something for what it is and not placing some huge expectations on what you want it to be? It seems like it's your ridiculous expectations that are stopping you from enjoying what is a pretty good album.

Chill out.

Edited by azatoth

LemanRuss, apologies if you have already done so, but i'd be interested to read a track by track review of Syro in your own words.

I'm no fanboy of Aphex per say, but I am a fanboy of braindance and this album.

How can you not see the Aphex magic in minipops, produk 29 and syro?

That's true.

I would have just loved something new from the off... A double album would have been fun. :-D One side 'Syro', the other side new things.

Don't worry eznzea will be on it's way within a year. We are entering a period of Aphexual awakening.

And yeah, it definitely is way too tame. Well put.

you are probably experience something bad in your life atm. maybe a girl dumped you, you got out of apartment, or a boss shouting at you every day. you need a place to throw out all the negativity, and you found this forum, it's understandable. if it helps to make your pain go away, you can continue with this angry posts, but i recommend meditation and lsd.

and about syro - basically your point is "it's not the X album or Y track", i want them instead! great - go and listen to them, if you prefer that tracks, maybe syro is just not your thing. i hope it will grow on you however, album is magnificent

OK, here are some questions for you, regarding Syro, which for me, and I am sure you, form part of the charm and excellence of Aphex Twin.

On Syro...

-Where are those tingy, verby sharp hats he is famous for which flick you inside your mind?

-Where is the musicality on the level of the piano parts of Drukqs?

-Why is there a cheesy looped birds-chirping-in-the-garden sample behind the piano on aisatsana?

-Where is the on-the-edge-of-control, red hot full of electricity production with a devil may care attitude to convention and stereo? Syro is the opposite of this.

-Where is the arrogance of putting a giant hum behind the beats like at the start of Acrid Avid Jam Shred, or even more so, Ventolin?

-Where are the huge otherworldly synth lead motifs, and why have they been replaced with that acidy noodling thing he does now?

-Where is the track long development of ideas and emotions?

-Where is the loneliness, and the sadness displayed in ICBYD?

-Where are the absolute next-dimensional chemical bangers like Come On You Slags, Start As You Mean To Go On, and Wax The Nip?

-Where is the 'I have no idea how he made this' feeling?

-Where is the feeling of being bourne along on a vast and rapid sea of hallucinogenic electonics through the dark British countryside?

-Where are the heart wrenching strings of 4?

-Where is the fucking sheer velocity and car door panel vibrating resonance of Girl/Boy Song?

-Where is the mind warping bleakness

-Where is the hyper detailed poise and balance of Vordhosbn?

etc.

Fucking nowhere in Syro, that is for sure.

I said the same shit after metallica's black album. a real pisser that was. I feel ya man, I like a lot of what you mentioned too. But really, that era's been long gone for a long time. Expecting him to pick up right where drukqs left off wasn't going to happen. But, on my home system, I feel many of the points you listed are there in a more "polished way". If you transcribe a lot of Syro to stringed instrumentation, It'd be some of the funkiest shit around. I kind of consider Syro as a fusion record at times. Some wicked electronic jam. James Brown, God rest his soul, would be doing a double take & mutter "Da-fuh...a whiteboy..."

I've been wondering the same things about ole' Tom Jenkinson, longing for the old days. But again, the ship has sailed & just enjoy what I can for whatever direction he goes with a new release. Go through the 5 stages of grief & maybe you'll get to where I am with Syro. Refer to signature below.

Guest transmisiones ferox

I guess I will get new aphex sooner than bleep will ship my order, fuckin blerp, the last time I order from em

Edited by arvy Ictal

Guest BunnyRabbit

LemanRuss, apologies if you have already done so, but i'd be interested to read a track by track review of Syro in your own words.

lol
Lol.

Someone auto tune this.

OK, here are some questions for you, regarding Syro, which for me, and I am sure you, form part of the charm and excellence of Aphex Twin.

On Syro...

-Where are those tingy, verby sharp hats he is famous for which flick you inside your mind?

-Why is there a cheesy looped birds-chirping-in-the-garden sample behind the piano on aisatsana?

-Where is the on-the-edge-of-control, red hot full of electricity production with a devil may care attitude to convention and stereo? Syro is the opposite of this.

-Where is the arrogance of putting a giant hum behind the beats like at the start of Acrid Avid Jam Shred, or even more so, Ventolin?

-Where are the huge otherworldly synth lead motifs, and why have they been replaced with that acidy noodling thing he does now?

-Where are the absolute next-dimensional chemical bangers like Come On You Slags, Start As You Mean To Go On, and Wax The Nip?

-Where is the feeling of being bourne along on a vast and rapid sea of hallucinogenic electonics through the dark British countryside?

-Where is the fucking sheer velocity and car door panel vibrating resonance of Girl/Boy Song?

etc.

To cockily ape the comment of someone on at me for this, just up there in the posts...

If YOU can't hear the stuff missing from Syro, then you not only have shit in your ears, but you are devoid of any real emotion, and are running purely on the dullest of fanboy juice.

I shouldn't judge though; I guess a lot of you think music is just a 'who is the best at DSP' competition, which Syro is probably not too bad at.

Anything you look for can be found in his previous work, so prolly you are looking in the wrong place for those things.

As far as the bird samples on the piano track (chich is actually the only thing you are mentioning about syro), well I think it's somewhat out of place too (mostly because it makes me think about possibly maybe by bjork), but it's his choice and it's not a big deal really.

We know a ton of voices were sampled on Syro but we don't know which ones are which. I'm pretty sure all of minipops is Richard but idk for sure. I really wanna know which ones are Lornaderek. I would guess that one of the voices in the 'fucking whore, disgusting' section is Rich's girlfriend but aprt from that I have no idea.

Edit: Imma get a list going.

minipops 67 [120.2][source field mix] - Richard

XMAS_EVET10 [120][thanaton3 mix] - Richard, Dad?

produk 29 [101] -

4 bit 9d api+e+6 [126.26] -

180db_ [130] - No vocals

CIRCLONT6A [141.98][syrobonkus mix] - Richard, Girlfriend

fz pseudotimestretch+e+3 [138.85] -

CIRCLONT14 [152.97][shrymoming mix] -

syro u473t8+e [141.98][piezoluminescence mix] -

PAPAT4 [155][pineal mix] -

s950tx16wasr10 [163.97][earth portal mix] -

aisatsana [102] - Birds :-)

I will edit this over time.

Edited by The Wumbo Man

On Syro...

etc.

To cockily ape the comment of someone on at me for this, just up there in the posts...

If YOU can't hear the stuff missing from Syro, then you not only have shit in your ears, but you are devoid of any real emotion, and are running purely on the dullest of fanboy juice.

I shouldn't judge though; I guess a lot of you think music is just a 'who is the best at DSP' competition, which Syro is probably not too bad at.

thanks god, AFX did not xeroxed his oldest records on syro ( & what is exactly a REAL emotion ??)

LOL, I may well start thinking this one is amazing when the next one comes out. But to be honest, that's only happened in a blatant way once, with 'Oversteps'. ;) But it did happen in an admittedly terrible way. In fact, Known (1), which I whinged about muchly, has grown to be one of my favourites. :-D

But 'Exai' blew me away first thing, and continues to reveal itself.

I think I just want something fresh sounding now. When people ask 'what's wrong with simple good music? Why does music have to pioneer something new?' I think they're responding to something I am not saying. It's not an elitist thing: I just love fresh sounds! :)

guys i think this leman person is right. we all have shit in our ears and think music is a dsp contest. leman is clearly not a troll, and is stating a correct fact.

Bwah ah ah ah ah!!! i'm agree with u... i won't waste my fingers for this poor guy... But thanks MisterE for laughing! ;-)

The fucking sheer velocity and car door panel vibrating resonance (well put sir) of Girl/Boy Song is....in Girl/Boy Song actually. & you should not expect artists to re do what they achieved previously, that's basically the difference between a craftsman & an artist. its like asking "Where are the fucking trees ?" in the latest Mondrian paintings.

Guest Roksen Creek

AMAZING