IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

Wait, can we not ignore members anymore? Or do I have to upgrade to do that?

Also, Syro is still awesome. On about the tenth listen since it leaked and still finding tons of new things and getting different impressions of a lot of the tracks. Such a solid release, but I still can't help but feel Aisatsana is out of place on this record; great song, but to me it just doesn't work with the album, even tacked on to the end.

Edited by auxien

LemanRuss, apologies if you have already done so, but i'd be interested to read a track by track review of Syro in your own words.

lol

cotton swabs will just push the shit into your brain then you'll become shitbrained and change your name to just a symbol and it'll be impossible to find your tracks on soulseek.

lol

here's why fanboys are annoyed with the the shit talkers here: richard reads this. you're being rude, and maybe discouraging him from further releases. and why? its not the album you wanted? find an album you like. better yet, make the album you hoped for. noone is obligated to make the album you imagined. that's insane. you're wrong to defend your right to be rude here.

Edited by very honest

Guest Roksen Creek

If Richard is reading this thread then I worry for his sanity I really do.

Richard, stop reading, go away and make music that YOU want to.

I think lemanruss makes some good points and supports his opinion. Everyone is getting super defensive here. He's not an idiot because he doesn't like it. Everyone stop with the god damned name calling. You are all being so childish right now. What is the point of discussion if all you hear is your own thoughts? I love this album but I completely understand why people would be let down. C'mon babies lets all love each other. We're a rare breed of weirdos, no need for the weirdo on weirdo violence.

He's an idiot for saying shit like this.

"If YOU can't hear the stuff missing from Syro, then you not only have shit in your ears, but you are devoid of any real emotion, and are running purely on the dullest of fanboy juice. "

So check yourself before calling people childish. Seems like a fair thing to get defensive about, being told you have shit in your ears.

That was in direct response to someone who made the insult first, and you know it. You insulting me for insulting someone is amusing.

Anyway, back to it; for a forum devoted to Aphex, there is surprisingly little detailed review or opinion by people who like Syro. I will refrain from telling you all why I think that is, and will just sit here waiting for people to start explaining in emotive detail what they love about it.

I look for the same thing you do in the music, I find pure emotional sincerity in tracks the most important thing, I don't worry too much about slick production or impressive techniques. But I think it's in there in Syro, . It's more easy going than previous releases, the emotional aspects are more tempered but certainly there, some places strong other places more muted. It's an album you can dance and bob too. Do you want dance music that has you flopped across the floor with crippling melancholy? Not all tracks have to scrape ones heart out. The guy has released loads of solitary mood music that one can go back to and enjoy, this is just something a little different and fun.

@LemanRuss, I think I partly know why you don't like this album. :) You wanted to fall in love with the Aphex you fell in love with in the 90's but he doesn't exist anymore. He's moved on. It's always weird when you meet an ex 15-20 years after the fact. The person has changed, is not the same anymore at all and sometimes, you're like how did I ever fall in love with that person?! Your love story with Aphex is changing and evolving. It has come to a halt. Now, you can accept it or keep whining about it, but in any case, it won't bring your dear Aphex Twin back. I know it's hard. Take all the time you need to grieve. Your golden days of radiant love with Richard are over. I'm sorry, buddy.

here's why fanboys are annoyed with the the shit talkers here: richard reads this. you're being rude, and maybe discouraging him from further releases. and why? its not the album you wanted? find an album you like. better yet, make the album you hoped for. noone is obligated to make the album you imagined. that's insane. you're wrong to defend your right to be rude here.

in all fairness if richard is still reading this thread he should probably quit at life like many of us already have

lol - i think Richard doesn't care of it 'cause he has other things to do than read us... & don't dream about him for whatever! :spiteful:

@LemanRuss, I think I partly know why you don't like this album. :) You wanted to fall in love with the Aphex you fell in love with in the 90's but he doesn't exist anymore. He's moved on. It's always weird when you meet an ex 15-20 years after the fact. The person has changed, is not the same anymore at all and sometimes, you're like how did I ever fall in love with that person?! Your love story with Aphex is changing and evolving. It has come to a halt. Now, you can accept it or keep whining about it, but in any case, it won't bring your dear Aphex Twin back. I know it's hard. Take all the time you need to grieve. Your golden days of radiant love with Richard are over. I'm sorry, buddy.

Or, it could be, you know, he just doesn't like these particular tracks?

The thing negative people never seem to understand is that empty negative comments and empty positive comments aren't the same thing. We don't "need" both. Emotional equilibrium is not the goal. Last I checked, being happy was more fun than being angry. Why can't we have more exacting standards for negativity than for positivity?

Part of the stereotype of Aphex fans is true: yeah, we're getting older, maybe a little soft around the edges. Know what that also means? We're well into our second decade of reading tired internet flames against "fanboys" and being accused of substandard living accommodations and spartan posting attire. If your go-to insult is a word that means someone who really really enjoys something, maybe you're the problem.

So, yep, if you're going to come into a place where you know most people really enjoy and revere someone's work, put on your big Girl/Boy clothes and communicate your criticism with the proper respect for everyone else and understanding of where you are. Because guess what, most people like liking things more than they like disilking things, and they shouldn't have to apologize or take abuse for that.

I have been a little undecided on how I felt about aisatsana as the last track. It felt a little tacked on and out of place given that the tracks leading up to it are quite intense. Last night I listened through the album in bed on cans and aisatsana made more sense to me. It made me feel as though the 4 tracks leading into it were like a heavy night out and then when the birdsong begins on aisatsana it was like waking up the next morning to a clear, beautiful day and taking the morning nice and slow with a coffee. It really was quite nice.

Guest Roksen Creek

in all fairness if richard is still reading this thread he should probably quit at life like many of us already have

lol - i think Richard doesn't care of it 'cause he has other things to do than read us... & don't dream about him for whatever! :spiteful:

Hi Richard

Or, it could be, you know, he just doesn't like these particular tracks?

Right, could be hehe and that's fine. I'm just trying to address Leman's issues in a polite manner.

Can I ask as a complete and utter idiot with regards to EDM, IDM and whatever unhelpful and non-descriptive labels people come up with for electronic music in general, what is considered 'fresh' at the moment and why? as some reviewers seem to be calling this 'good but not exactly fresh'. i don't really have the 13 years of context.

(it's not that I really care, syro sounds fresh to my ancient ears, I'm just curious)

Any bit of music can be 'fresh' to someone if they've never heard anything like it before.

Imagine if you had only listened to noise music since birth, and one day turned on an Eminem track. You'd think it was the most innovative and mind blowing thing in the world.

Hi Richard

how do you know i'm Richard?

Any bit of music can be 'fresh' to someone if they've never heard anything like it before.

Imagine if you had only listened to noise music since birth, and one day turned on an Eminem track. You'd think it was the most innovative and mind blowing thing in the world.

Yeah, I definitely get that, makes sense :)

I just mean in the sense of it being fresh as compared to other electronic music.. as in what trends or production techniques are being used by other EDM/IDM/ICBM/WMD-type people that for whatever contrived reason sound 'fresher'. i know Richard goes for analogue more ofthen than not. I realize the whole question is relatively stupid as 'freshness' is a subjective thing and kindof meaningless as far as damn good music is involved, but i'm just wondering from what context the average music reviewer is operating from when they call Syro 'not as fresh'.

freshness = drops, vocals about the apocalypse, and banjos

edit: and fake asses

aphex is so far behind the times it's not even funny

Edited by baph

what is this? mind to share a larger image?

Yeah sorry, looks like it's engraved into the card.

2heae4z.jpg

I have never seen this before. Is it blank on the back side?

Glossy Charteuse. Looks screen printed.

2jtt9i.jpg

Edited by Chesney

Anyone willing to do the math:

APHEX TWIN SYRO

minipops 67 (source field mix) ................ 120.2

XMAS_EVET10 (thanaton3 mix) .................... 120

produk 29....................................... 101

4 bit 9d api+e+6............................... 126.26

180db_.......................................... 130

CIRCLONT6A (syrobonkus mix) ................... 141.98

fz pseudotimestretch+e+3....................... 138.85

CIRCLONT14 (shrymoming mix) ................... 152.97

syro u473t8+e (piezoluminescence mix) ......... 141.98

PAPAT4 (pineal mix) ............................ 155

s950tx16wasr10 (earth portal mix) ............. 163.97

aisatsana....................................... 102

Venue and equipment costs for

London listening event......................... £0.00163

Travel costs for journalist from

Belgium to London.............................. £0.00099

Digital editorial advertising in UK............ £0.01222

Online advertising in Belgium.................. £0.00166

One Stop racking and promotions in US.......... £0.00498

US Christmas promotions and marketing.......... £0.10208

Regional UK PR campaign including expenses..... £0.00306

UK press day expenses for Leah................. £0.00031

Production cost for

retail logo sticker for Japan.................. £0.00024

Travel from Italy to London for one journalist... £0.00166

Refreshments for LA listening party............ £0.00073

Online advertising in Sweden................... £0.00099

Creative contingency........................... £0.03708

Digital video network advertising in UK........ £0.01426

Production cost for

retail logo magnet for Japan................... £0.00177

Promo CDs for US radio promotion............... £0.00184

Shop displays at indie and

chain stores in Australia...................... £0.00338

Radio advertising in France.................... £0.01325

Promo CDs for US press promotion............... £0.00018

Postage costs for UK radio promotion mailout... £0.00061

Leah's taxi from Warp office to radio station.. £0.00006

500mm x 500mm square floor sticker............. £0.00425

Retail marketing and shop displays in France... £0.00663

Outdoor postering in Italy..................... £0.00066

Steven's travel to UK sales team presentation.. £0.00002

Hotel rooms for international label managers... £0.00311

Promotion team in France....................... £0.00994

Finished copies for promotional use............ £0.00147

Online advertising in Australia................ £0.00338

Postering in cafés in Sydney,

Melbourne and Brisbane......................... £0.00176

Production cost for retail

small logo badge for Japan..................... £0.00188

Outdoor postering in Berlin, Cologne,

Hamburg and other cities....................... £0.0265

File tracking pre leak and

monitored take-downs of illegal download links.£0.00041

A2 retail poster for Japan..................... £0.00035

12x12" US retail flats ........................ £0.00122

Production cost for promo kit for Japan........ £0.00118

Refreshments for Montreal listening party...... £0.00036

Printing of posters for

outdoor display in Australia................... £0.00555

Postage costs for

retail promo mailout in Germany................ £0.00033

UK Christmas promotions and marketing.......... £0.03463

Online advertising in Norway................... £0.00099

pre-orders at independent retail......... £0.00365

Promotion and marketing in Spain......... £0.00331

Venue hire and refreshments for

Sydney listening party..................... £0.0018

Postage costs for

radio promo mailout in Germany........... £0.00099

Outdoor postering in Australia........... £0.00789

Retail marketing and racking in Australia £0.00203

Chain store racking and promotion in Canada £0.01215

Room hire for Warp planning meeting

with Richard............................. £0.00122

Emails, placements and promotions

with web stores in US.................... £0.01519

Venue hire and refreshments for

Tokyo listening party.................... £0.00236

Promotion team in Germany................ £0.00331

Hotel in Seattle for album playback meeting £0.00049

Independent In-store racking

and promotions in US..................... £0.00577

Postage costs for

press promotion mailout in Japan......... £0.00075

A3 retail posters........................ £0.00145

European travel and expenses for Nicolas £0.00489

Venue hire for Montreal listening party.. £0.00122

Holiday and end of year retail marketing

and racking in Germany................... £0.00331

Venue hire for NYC listening party....... £0.00729

Production cost for

retail clear folder for Japan............ £0.00283

Watermark CDs for Sync promo mailout..... £0.00029

Refreshments for NYC listening party..... £0.00073

Online advertising in Germany............ £0.00828

Postage costs for US radio promotion mailout £0.00304

Hotel in San Francisco for

album playback meeting................... £0.00083

Printing of posters for retail displays

and café poster run in Australia......... £0.00142

Backline for LA listening party.......... £0.00243

Finished copy CDs for Sync promotion..... £0.00073

Billboards in Japan...................... £0.02355

Josh's flights to playback meetings with DSPs

(NYC / SF / Seattle / NYC) ................ £0.0019

Online advertising in Finland............ £0.00099

Mechanical royalty in US................. £0.38435

Print advertising in Groove, Spex

and other publications................... £0.03313

Print advertising in Netherlands......... £0.00398

Print advertisement in Italy............. £0.00464

Promo copies for UK radio promotion...... £0.00081

Outdoor and Metro postering in France.... £0.02451

Warp staff listening digital promos...... £0.00008

Shop decoration and racking in Italy..... £0.00166

Cinema advertising in France............. £0.00497

Website bandwidth costs ................. £0.00204

Window posters in Dublin, Ireland........ £0.00232

Shop displays for

independent retail in Belgium............ £0.00083

Online advertising in Italy.............. £0.00166

Digital video network advertising in US.. £0.02868

Croissants for DAZED & CONFUSED listening £0.00002

Discounts and rebates for retail racking

and promotions in US..................... £0.00389

Design by TOR'........................... £0.01834

Online advertising in Denmark............ £0.00099

Production cost for

retail large logo badge for Japan........ £0.00165

Promotion and marketing team in Norway... £0.00166

Lunch for Leah and UK journalist........... £0.0001

Promotion team travel to Berlin.......... £0.00133

Design of adverts and promotional material £0.00611

Street stenciling and projections in LA / NYC £0.01215

Promotional CDs for Japan................ £0.00045

James's flight to Berlin for press pass.. £0.00081

Kei's expenses for meeting with pressing plant £0.00005

UK radio promotion campaign.............. £0.00611

Summer retail campaigns in Australia...... £0.0018

Online advertising in Spain.............. £0.00133

Cost of email communications to Aphex Twin

and Warp mailing lists .................. £0.00081

James's hotel for press pass ............ £0.00041

Digitisation from tape archive copy of

The Making of Windowlicker................ £0.0009

Printed US press releases ................ £0.0001

Retail marketing and racking in Germany.. £0.00994

Postage costs for US VIP/Artist mailout.. £0.00049

Leah's travel costs to UK radio station.. £0.00002

Racking and promotion at chain retail,

one stops and indies in Japan............ £0.03768

London Underground, billboards and posters

around the UK including production....... £0.10594

Print advertising in France.............. £0.02484

Production cost for retail poster for Japan £0.00042

Coffee for Leah and BBC radio producer... £0.00002

Postering in Copenhagen and Aarhus....... £0.00166

Refreshments for Warp album playback..... £0.00022

Print advertising in RIF RAF and

other publications....................... £0.00696

Online advertising in Australia.......... £0.00225

Dinner and refreshments for planning meeting £0.00196

Online advertising in France............. £0.00497

Print advertising including The Fader,

Vice and others.......................... £0.09357

Car hire in San Francisco for

album playback meeting................... £0.00068

Car hire in Seattle for album playback meeting £0.00019

Promotion and marketing team in Denmark.. £0.00166

Journalist travel expenses

from Germany to London................... £0.00199

Venue hire for Toronto listening party... £0.00122

Pay per click digital advertising in UK.. £0.01019

Retail marketing and racking in Denmark.. £0.00099

Other online advertising................. £0.01426

Postage costs for UK radio promotion mailout £0.00041

Outdoor postering in Brussels, Antwerp & Gent £0.01988

Taxis for planning meeting day in London. £0.00057

James's expenses for press pass ......... £0.00041

Online advertising in Netherlands........ £0.00166

Promotional packs with UK web stores..... £0.00489

Purchase of Caustic Window download codes

for Warp staff and contacts.............. £0.00124

Printed press release for Japan.......... £0.00006

Food and drinks for

Warp planning meeting with Richard....... £0.00051

London venue hire for

planning meeting with international team. £0.00143

Social media digital advertising in US.... £0.0316

Holiday and end of year retail marketing

and racking in Belgium................... £0.00331

Retail marketing and racking in Belgium.. £0.00282

Shop displays for

independent retail in Netherlands........ £0.00166

Flights and trains to London for Alison,

Boris, Ingmar, Jens, Sabine, Teo and Viron £0.00447

Print and online advertising in Japan..... £0.0471

CD-Rs for UK radio promotion............. £0.00035

Printed plastic bags for shops........... £0.02756

B1 retail poster for Japan............... £0.00106

Watermarked CD promos.................... £0.00118

11x17 US retail posters.................. £0.00122

Refreshments for Toronto listening party. £0.00036

Postage costs for UK press mailout........ £0.0006

UK radio promotion campaign............. £0.006113

UK radio promotion campaign............. £0.006113

Print advertising in Canada.............. £0.00243

Postage costs for US press promotion mailout £0.00012

Bandwidth cost for

promotional download link of the album... £0.00306

US radio promotion campaign.............. £0.00486

Travel costs for journalist

from Netherlands to London............... £0.00166

Postage costs for

US promoter/tastemaker mailout........... £0.00049

Shota, Masa and Kiriko's expenses for

meetings and lunches with writers........ £0.00024

Food expenses for press trip in Australia £0.00014

Racking and promotion with chain retail in UK £0.00407

Billboards and posters in NYC / LA /

San Francisco, Chicago and other cities.. £0.04861

Beer and snacks for Q Magazine meeting... £0.00004

Venue hire for LA listening party........ £0.00486

Listening events for

media and retail in Berlin and Cologne... £0.00331

Room hire for Warp album playback

at screening rooms....................... £0.00134

Promotions with UK indie music stores.... £0.00611

Digital editorial advertising in US...... £0.01628

Album digital servicing to

radio via MPN in Germany................. £0.00073

Backline hire for NYC listening party.... £0.00194

Social media digital advertising in UK.... £0.0163

Refreshments and lunch for

promo team album listening in Paris ..... £0.00043

Retail marketing and racking in Sweden... £0.00099

Site builds for darkweb, clearweb and mobile £0.00611

Print advertising in UK.................. £0.05857

Retail laminates for retail in Australia. £0.00122

Digital mastering including studio time,

running parts and upload................. £0.02286

External promotion team for Japan........ £0.00471

Logo stickers............................. £0.0052

Racking and promotions with Independent

Coalition networks (CIMS / AIMS / MMN) in US £0.02838

Production of short Aphex Twin logo films £0.01215

AO retail posters......................... £0.0035

Production cost for

retail shopping bag for Japan............ £0.00212

A2 retail posters........................ £0.00224

Christine's lunch/coffee expenses

for meetings with US writers............. £0.00036

Royalty to Richard from album downloads (50%) £1.43538

Pay per click digital advertising in US.. £0.02066

Journalist travel expenses

from France to London.................... £0.00133

Retail marketing and racking in Netherlands £0.00099

Written and produced by Richard D. James

Published by BMG / Chrysalis Mastered by Mandy Parnell

except Minipops 67 by Beau Thomas MITDRm

MITDRm Logo

Aphex is a registered trademark of

Aphex Systems Limited

and is used by permission 02014 Warp Records Limited @ 2014 Warp Records Limited Warp Records PO Box 25378 London NW5 1GL UK

Warp.net / Records

WARP Logo

Aphex Twin Logo

WARPCDD247