IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

Guys.

Don't feed the trolls.

Moving on.

what is this? mind to share a larger image?

Yeah sorry, looks like it's engraved into the card.

2heae4z.jpg

I have never seen this before. Is it blank on the back side?

Glossy Charteuse. Looks screen printed.

2jtt9i.jpg

:o

Really?

I'm hoping the reason that my Bleep delivery is taking so long is because it's overloaded with swag and needs a forklift to deliver.

Edited by J3FF3R00

It's a pretty mental album, I dunno why you freaks are dissing or trying to protect it, in a few years it will be as loved as drukqs despite the early hate so take some time off lol.

Just a little vent: STILL HAVEN'T RECEIVED MY LP FROM BLEEP. Wasn't expecting to listen to this 173 times before I get the physical.. only 97 times.

got my copy here i denmark on the spot from bleep : monday.

got two copies now ; a shop sold them before release date and i could not control myself.

its a great record but NOT a masterpiece !

It's hilarious that in pretty much every review of Drukqs from 2001, people saw it as being "more of the same" (which it wasn't!) and hoping RDJ would "break new ground" (which he did!), and now it's being used as a reference point for the "freshness" that Syro failed to achieve.

It's hilarious that in pretty much every review of Drukqs from 2001, people saw it as being "more of the same" (which it wasn't!) and hoping RDJ would "break new ground" (which he did!), and now it's being used as a reference point for the "freshness" that Syro failed to achieve.

Next album will have them crazy mental beats and everyone will be complaining it's a retread of Drukqs and proclaim that Syro had that innovative thing you expect from a RDJ production.

@LemanRuss, I think I partly know why you don't like this album. :) You wanted to fall in love with the Aphex you fell in love with in the 90's but he doesn't exist anymore. He's moved on. It's always weird when you meet an ex 15-20 years after the fact. The person has changed, is not the same anymore at all and sometimes, you're like how did I ever fall in love with that person?! Your love story with Aphex is changing and evolving. It has come to a halt. Now, you can accept it or keep whining about it, but in any case, it won't bring your dear Aphex Twin back. I know it's hard. Take all the time you need to grieve. Your golden days of radiant love with Richard are over. I'm sorry, buddy.

Or, it could be, you know, he just doesn't like these particular tracks?

He reminds us of this fact every day. I wake up expecting it. It's a fun game.

I'm still having a pretty difficult time telling apart some of Syro from Monolith's work. Even the little riffs in Vigton 3 Stun and 4 bit 9d api+e+6 [12626] sound pretty similar to me. As do their names, for that matter.

I'm still having a pretty difficult time telling apart some of Syro from Monolith's work. Even the little riffs in Vigton 3 Stun and 4 bit 9d api+e+6 [12626] sound pretty similar to me. As do their names, for that matter.

I can't hear the resemblance. If I could, I might like Monolith's work! :sad:

Edited by StephenG

here's why fanboys are annoyed with the the shit talkers here: richard reads this. you're being rude, and maybe discouraging him from further releases. and why? its not the album you wanted? find an album you like. better yet, make the album you hoped for. noone is obligated to make the album you imagined. that's insane. you're wrong to defend your right to be rude here.

if he was reading this thread, don't you think it could be construed as partially insulting that Richard would 'maybe' stop releasing music because of a handful of random internet message board people who didn't like Syro? I guess that suggestion almost seems equally as rude to me.

In Syro the music brims with swagger and confidence with no desire to 'prove' anything to the aphex fan boy. Its fun, emotional and complex electronic music. He's going to be just fine and release music if he wishes regardless of what angry/disappointed fans (who are in the minority) think

Edited by John Ehrlichman

The utterly devastating release, which would have made Drukqs look like the in-game music of Ape Escape, just didn't happen. In fact, that is what Syro reminds me of a fair bit; the ingame music of a slightly Indie turn of the century PS1 game.

Video games could only hope to have as good of music as this album in them. It is only a sign of the lack of development of your ears that you think it sounds like video game music.

Who do you think you are talking to mate?

Some guy who thinks Syro sounds like video game music. You might be right if you were to choose the game that Aphex Twin's music was actually used in. But really who the are you?

I know, right? Hard to listen to things subjectively these days.

I can't hear the resemblance. If I could, I might like Monolith's work! :sad:

How can you love the acid-y goodness of syro and analords and not like monolith? Monolith just writes amazingly crunchy and funky riffs.

People were asking about freshness. What is fresh sounding? The amazing opening two tracks of this album! (I hadn't heard the live versions.)

What doesn't sound fresh at all? (As in, sounds a bit boring, for various reasons)... Most of the rest of the tracks, what with their retro-fetishism and kitschy melodies and sounds. Everyone is going down this sound route and I've heard those old drum machines and acid squiggles too many times, and done better. All the tracks except the first three pale in comparison to The Tuss, which shares some characteristics but seems far deeper.

Guest Roksen Creek

People were asking about freshness. What is fresh sounding? The amazing opening two tracks of this album! (I hadn't heard the live versions.)

What doesn't sound fresh at all? (As in, sounds a bit boring, for various reasons)... Most of the rest of the tracks, what with their retro-fetishism and kitschy melodies and sounds. Everyone is going down this sound route and I've heard those old drum machines and acid squiggles too many times, and done better. All the tracks except the first three pale in comparison to The Tuss, which shares some characteristics but seems far deeper.

I'm sure I remember in the Exai thread you were talking about Exai not being as deep as the likes of Confield and Draft, and I disagreed with you? I'm going to say the same here, I definitely think that tracks like the CIRCLONTs, Syro and Earth Portal are lot deeper (as in more layered, more going on, more subtelty, more complex) than anything by The Tuss.

Maybe I'm easier to please with new releases. I always seem to think these guys keep improving :)

I haven't listened to the album for 3 days, and it's only my 3rd listen, but I'm totally re-discovering the tracks (and I'm only at the Metz track, never noticed it was SO deep). Hope i'll have the same feeling for all the tracks :music:

I'm sure I remember in the Exai thread you were talking about Exai not being as deep as the likes of Confield and Draft, and I disagreed with you? I'm going to say the same here, I definitely think that tracks like the CIRCLONTs, Syro and Earth Portal are lot deeper (as in more layered, more going on, more subtelty, more complex) than anything by The Tuss.

Maybe I'm easier to please with new releases. I always seem to think these guys keep improving :)

I think that was 'Oversteps' - unless I'm remembering wrong! But I admit I was very wrong on that count.

I guess my tastes just don't gel so well with those old vintage drum machine sounds and blatantly synthy-synth lines. I should just enjoy what I can enjoy about the album and move on. I do hope this bent towards nostalgia and analog noodling lessens soon, but even if it doesn't I understand artists are free to do wha they want, and there's still plenty of amazing music to enjoy. :)

At this point, I wake up in the morning with a moment from this album in my head

yeah this is happening to me, and during the day I find some passages just appear and then I realise I'm humming them, the vocal peice in minipops especially but others too

I'm having a few days rest though, always careful of the overkill factor.....

I'm finally listening to other things again. I binged so much on this album these last few days. I look forward to coming back to it in a couple weeks or so with a somewhat fresh pair of ears. weeee.

edit: ok I might sneak in earth portal here and there when I need a jungle fix (I need those often)

Edited by Vaaler9

I had a glass of Johnnie Walker Red on my desk. After pumping XMAS directly to the base of the glass via non-Sennheiser earbuds the whisky transmogrified into Lagavulin 12 at around 6 minutes or so. A small purple cocktail umbrella rotated slowly in the glass with a chartreuse olive speared on each spoke. I bit one open and the word 'LUSH' appeared in the flesh. Tasted a bit tinny though so binned it. So yeah I guess it works on the molecular level or whatever