IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

RDJ has refined his drum machine skills. Syro is like more embellished version of analord, like little 1/16th note decorations everywhere. One of the cool thing about acid music is the ability for the TB303 to serve as both melody and percussion. It's pretty obvious in the syro theme in both CIRCLONT6A and syro u473t8+e. In analord and Tuss, the acid bass was more percussive. In Syro, the acid bass had more melody, and moved more between melody and percussion.

The cool realization is that melody and percussion don't have to be separate things, like how most artists think of them. You can move back and forth with a single instrument, overdrive on TB303. I've not heard anyone else who does it like that like RDJ does, but I haven't listened to many artists. RDJ really gets the grooviness in dance music.

Just like how I think of skills in key modulation is one of the highest skills to achieve in the realm of melody and polyphony. The skill in changing between percussion and melody sound to match the beats of the track is one of the highest skills to achieve in the realm of dance music, and is of more importance in braindance. This is what RDJ so good. His newer tracks are much more embellished than his early 90s music.

None of you who like it have gone into any detail about what you like about the tracks.

Because we're all faking it and don't want to admit that our taste isn't as impeccable as yours. We're just plebeians that can't appreciate the subtle nuances in everything that you can, which is why we don't spend as much time trying to preach it. Aphex fans are in tears at the harsh truths of your words and women from miles around are swooning at your ability to just confidently tell it like it is, brah.

There you go. Commence masturbation. Your dream has come true.

I can't stop listening to it, it sticks to your head. However I'm still unconvinced. For real...I can't say I like it. There are alot of things that bother me while listening, and yesterday I fell asleep while listening to it. Sure I was in bed, at 3am, but It shouldn't have happened anyway. It's aphex for fuck sake.

I can't stop listening to it, it sticks to your head. However I'm still unconvinced. For real...I can't say I like it. There are alot of things that bother me while listening, and yesterday I fell asleep while listening to it. Sure I was in bed, at 3am, but It shouldn't have happened anyway. It's aphex for fuck sake.

na und?

Maybe this is narcissistic, but it seems like he just released everything WATMM was asking for him to release. Seems like an extremely proper thank you in my opinion.

Well.... my cats finally weighed in on Syro.

The little one, she doesn't like it.... so we put the little salty bitch down today....

w1hWAf3.jpg?19ysAeuz.jpg?1

My male likes it though. IDM cat.

LgCeDoA.jpg?2

jk we will keep the female even though she's a little cunty.

Edited by StephenG

None of you who like it have gone into any detail about what you like about the tracks.

Because we're all faking it and don't want to admit that our taste isn't as impeccable as yours. We're just plebeians that can't appreciate the subtle nuances in everything that you can, which is why we don't spend as much time trying to preach it. Aphex fans are in tears at the harsh truths of your words and women from miles around are swooning at your ability to just confidently tell it like it is, brah.

There you go. Commence masturbation. Your dream has come true.

Not to feed a troll or anything, but this whole forum is literally exploding with detail about what watmmers like about the tracks just about every second of the day lately. It's pretty much impossible to avoid, as a matter of fact.

There are whole threads devoted to tracks. I posted the "awesome syro moments" thread and it's nothing but details about what watmmers like about the tracks.

Honestly, that quote is just nonsense.

Good find, but I signed up to order MARCHROMT30A and it wouldn't let me add the track to my cart because of my location.

"Territory Restricted. The track you have selected for purchase is not available for your country."

I tried it with my new TOR browser too. Still didn't work. Thanks tho!

Edited by J3FF3R00

Good find, but I signed up to order MARCHROMT30A and it wouldn't let me add the track to my cart because of my location.

"Territory Restricted. The track you have selected for purchase is not available for your country."

I tried it with my new TOR browser too. Still didn't work. Thanks tho!

This was very helpful for me when I ordered some Japanese releases:

Edit: I see now you're trying to purchase a digital copy. Can't help ya.

http://cdn.halcyonrealms.com/japan/how-to-order-from-amazon-japan-a-detailed-buying-guide/

Edited by Retrig

Anyway, on XMAS_EVET10, that warm, vaguely MFM/RDJA melody that comes in between the 4-5 minute mark almost made me get a nostalgic lump in my throat; hi Richard, it's very good to have you back, even if you never really left.

yeah this part really got to me too, it was almost like an apparition of the 18 years younger RDJ grinning & winking at the listener for a brief moment before fading into a vapor. Really emotionally satisfying little nod to 90s aphex. Probably the most stand out classic Aphex moment of the whole album.

(4:11 -4:20 specific point)

Edited by John Ehrlichman

I'm noticing now on the more readable google doc gear list, none of the tracks between 6-9 list any 'various plugins' which im guessing means that these were mostly done outside of a computer. Part of the barness/raw sound of those tracks are really growing on me. At first they sounded like more busy/complex analord but too dry. It takes balls to make a track with that little effects but still create such an emotionally resonant trajectory.

edit: total speculation: tracks 6-9 & 12 were made much more recently and maybe even initially worked out in a very short span of time, they all feel very linked in some way.

tl;dr: typical fanboy fapoff

CD arrived yesterday evening. Took a nice day road trip through winding hills and farmland and listened to Syro in the whip. The CD sounded so great I kept pushing my amps until Produk 29 blew one of my speakers. The bass in that track is so beautiful. The hits are real tight and sweep low. For sure there's some 25-30khz sweeping kicks that were wobbling my windshield. I fucking love that song. Track starts off on some vibert funk tip and ends like a dancey psychedelic boc track.

Going to have to replace my speaker and not push syro to hard. Also there's some very abrupt high frequency drum samples in 4bit( I love love love those crystal synth melodies that come in).

The track 180db has some brain slappingly loud drums and almost so many layers of synths I get lost trying to hear them all. But actually 180db, which I only wish my system could reach, would probably stop your heart at a certain khz. To be honest that's championship competition car decibels right there. Car audio junkies at that level don't even sit in their vehicle or play more than a second of audio to get that high of a reading. Could it be possible Aphex has a system that pushes 180db?

I want to make a loop of Anastasia that has a 20 sec slow verbed fade out to silence before it loops, and let it last a few hours. I think I could sleep to that.

My favorite track as a whole is the title track, Syro. Aphex fusion is unexpected and hits home. I want an official Rich & Tom project album made up of ideas of syro & ufabulum.

My favorite moment of Syro is the last half of the xmas track. The first half is great, but when that groove hits, I get the same sense of awe I feel when listening to grooves like Alberto Balsalm.

My favorite section of that album is the Circlon twins with the timestretch interlude. Makes me want to dance and have an aphexian wigout. The repeating female vocal in the second half echos in my brain often now. Sounds like "sotchski"? So beautiful as it repeats. That vibe feels good, and the rolling beats and emotional synths force me to get down.

Beautiful album. Seems to fit well in it's place in time amongst other Aphex releases since I first discovered the RDJ album in 96. It all flows so well. There's a level of maturity, patience, and care with the entire hour that will be a treasure to cherish for the rest of my days. Thanks.

I just did a quick side by side comparison of the syro vinyl and the 24bit wav on my sennheiser hd25 headphones (XMAS_EVET10 for this test).

The vinyl mastering feels much easier on the ears, noticably less compression compared to the WAV file.

haven't even listened to my vinyl copy yet. here goes

edit: sounds fantastic, im not sure if there is actually less compression or that its just less noticeable than on the digital or CD but yeah It does sound nicer.

Guest bitroast

haven't even listened to my vinyl copy yet. here goes

edit: sounds fantastic, im not sure if there is actually less compression or that its just less noticeable than on the digital or CD but yeah It does sound nicer.

well.. its mastered differently (cd track is mastered by Beau Thomas, 2-12 mastered by Mandy Parnell. vinyl mastered 1-12 by Beau Thomas).

so format arguments aside, you technically are listening to something totally different to the CD :)