IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

Shit on a stick... got the website message.... but no email d/l yet.....

Processing has been completed Notice of purchase already message please confirm so we arrived as. Also,OTOTOY app (iOS version / free) in, you can enjoy immediate streaming track you purchased right now. Please check the list "song was recently acquired" and "library" to launch the app you have a iOS device.

Payment OK (success)

Thank you for your use

We are looking forward to using you again. OTOTOY top to

for me it's long... i ever wait it... hope soon, otherwise, i'll see this evening... crossed fingers

Guest jasondonervan

Come to think of it, one of the nice things about Syro is the use of acoustic percussive instruments that are pretty obscure in popular music. That's good lateral thinking.

Some great points there (esp. about the untapped potential in sampling), but to pick the above one out: when acoustic percussive instrumentation is used in pop music, it can fall into the trap of being a shoe-horned gimmick rather than a sincere motivation to benefit the piece of music it exists within. From what my ears have gathered, real instrument percussion on Syro has been utilised in a nuanced manner for the most part, with a genuine approach rather than the likes of 'hey, check out his Water Udu, front and centre in the mix'.

I'd always try to focus on what benefits the piece of music in question the most, and not worry so much about its historical context or whether it would be seen as fashionable or traditionally fitting in with it, but that's one of them, ah, philosophical questions, I guess.

What makes Syro impressive is that, in a world of copycats and of people who want artists to be their own copycats, Aphex Twin is always just himself and his music is always evolving and the same at the same time... Syro would not be an aphex twin record if it sounded like some other record by himself.

He just does what he feels when he feel it. And you can feel that. You may not like it, but you can defintely feel that.

Edited by pierlu

Agreed! As much as I like some of his releases more than others, it's great that each release (series and compilations aside) is unique. Variety is the spice of life. ^.^

What makes Syro impressive is that, in a world of copycats and of people who want artists to be their own copycats, Aphex Twin is always just himself and his music is always evolving and the same at the same time... Syro would not be an aphex twin record if it sounded like some other record by himself.

He just does what he feels when he feel it. And you can feel that. You may not like it, but you can defintely feel that.

This is of course correct. And it makes a bit of a mockery of the complaints you see here and elsewhere along the lines of "this record is a failure and people shouldn't like it because it does not contain <whatever> types of sounds and vibes that are on some old record or other".

I think the most important point of this type of music, and what marks the successful from the not, is that it should be a human expression, that transcends the circumstances in which it was created. The sound you hear is that of machines and devices, but the important part is the expression, and the personality. That has to come from somewhere honest for it to really mean something, and while I'd be well chuffed to have an album that sounds like Isoprophlex, or Crowsmengegus, or whatever, I know that the person who made those records 20 years ago is not the same person who made this new album, and to do something like that would ultimately be a little contrived, and false. I think Syro is an album made by someone who cares a great deal about integrity, and because of that I like it a great deal, and it totally deserves its place alongside the rest of his work. It shows that he is still on a journey - it's your choice to stay on board or to get off.

got my order today with a card too!

DlR2I46l.jpg

hope that card is usefula

Speaking of that card.. Finally got mine yesterday too. Any popular theories on what that card actually does? At first I thought it was going to be instructions on dowloading the digital copy.. but that is on another card. My boring theory is they pass these out if you pre-ordered at a local store (did they?).. but decided to include them in the packaging simply because they look cool and knew fans would want one even if they ordered online.

got my order today with a card too!

DlR2I46l.jpg

hope that card is usefula

Speaking of that card.. Finally got mine yesterday too. Any popular theories on what that card actually does? At first I thought it was going to be instructions on dowloading the digital copy.. but that is on another card. My boring theory is they pass these out if you pre-ordered at a local store (did they?).. but decided to include them in the packaging simply because they look cool and knew fans would want one even if they ordered online.

ya it's possible, that may be this way...

Joyrex mentioned 'other surprises' or whatever.... still haven't figured out the badger thing yet either...

I remain... titillated. Even if nothing on the immediate horizon. Seems pretty damn confirmed lots of cool things happening in Aphex-Land in the near future. In a small way I don't want something right away. My obsessiveness has made me neglect way too many aspects of my life this last week lol. Sad but true.

Joyrex mentioned 'other surprises' or whatever....

eznzea is on the way.

Actually, something even more exciting... stay tuned.

Oh man.. Right when I wanted to distance myself from this forum for a bit... obsession continues. Joyreeeex the GF wants to kill me.

Joyrex mentioned 'other surprises' or whatever....

eznzea is on the way.

Actually, something even more exciting... stay tuned.

This made me involuntarily say WHAAAAAT at work in a really loud and embarrassing whisper