IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

IIRC the old Warp logo was used on drukqs. Not sure if they already had the new one by that time?

Anyway I hope the fucking badger-pizza-box cover art is the real cover art. Or perhaps back cover? I think it's hilarious.

Also, I think whatever barcode software you used was wrong:

Aye, scanning it on my phone just picks up the bars as being 123456789012 as per the numbers underneath

the "shrink wrap" on the picture appeared to be built into the graphics itself, it doesnt look like actual shrink wrap... does it?

just double checked and it really doesn't look like physical shrink wrap to me... =S

edit: am I gay?

Edited by StephenG

Guest setanor

the "shrink wrap" on the picture appeared to be built into the graphics itself, it doesnt look like actual shrink wrap... does it?

just double checked and it really doesn't look like physical shrink wrap to me... =S

yes yes you're right

it's actual distorted text I think as you see at the rightmost

No, you can tell the shrink wrap is on top of the image below...

What's really odd is what looks like a Habanero chili pepper in what looks like a pizza box! WTF! :emotawesomepm9:

foldface2.jpg

Except in this case it appears the folded picture is printed, and a photo was taken of presumably Richard holding up the printed picture to his real face.

you can see the halftone printing dots in the printed material - the camera's resolution is picking those up, whereas the background it out of focus.

But that's precisely what I meant to illustrate. You see the rasters from the printing clearly in the bottom part, and not so clearly in the top part, due to the low depth of field in the scanner.

Also, notice in the foldface image that there are compression "squares" of the same size in both parts, and in the top part the squares slope at a different angle from the bottom part. Which again suggests that the entire image is one sheet of paper that has been folded.

Further - here is a combination of the foldface and the foldface-w images. I scaled them to the same size and aligned them, before setting the top layer to "difference". This highlights the more significant noise seen in the sharper -w version.

QDNDzVq.jpg

Again, the biggest mystery - these are both professionally-printed (from an offset printing press) images - that's quite a bit of expense to go through just for a promotional image if they were not part of the actual packaging or related promotional imagery.

I noticed yesterday the lower 'fold' in the image looks like it's had digital noise added to it while the top bit hasn't. Could be some hidden info in there

If you fold a photo and then scan it (without pressing it hard against the glass plate), one part of the photo will be flush with the scanner and therefore sharper. And the other part will be a little distance away from the glass plate due to the folding, and therefore dimmer. I think that's what we're seeing here.

Quick verification of theory:

foldface2.jpg

Except in this case it appears the folded picture is printed, and a photo was taken of presumably Richard holding up the printed picture to his real face.

you can see the halftone printing dots in the printed material - the camera's resolution is picking those up, whereas the background it out of focus.

It's also cropped. Behold:

Ajl6ooJ.jpg

foldface2.jpg

But that's precisely what I meant to illustrate. You see the rasters from the printing clearly in the bottom part, and not so clearly in the top part, due to the low depth of field in the scanner.

Also, notice in the foldface image that there are compression "squares" of the same size in both parts, and in the top part the squares slope at a different angle from the bottom part. Which again suggests that the entire image is one sheet of paper that has been folded.

Further - here is a combination of the foldface and the foldface-w images. I scaled them to the same size and aligned them, before setting the top layer to "difference". This highlights the more significant noise seen in the sharper -w version.

QDNDzVq.jpg

Hmm. Not entirely convinced, but you make a strong argument!

Grinning ginge-face cover WOULD be a great, more humanistic, follow-up to the previous Aphex grin photos. You know, kinda being a grown up now. Like the Ultravisitor cover was Tom J. looking srs in his patented Ultravisitor shirt.

More importantly, how is that dude's neck so long??

Again, the biggest mystery - these are both professionally-printed (from an offset printing press) images - that's quite a bit of expense to go through just for a promotional image if they were not part of the actual packaging or related promotional imagery.

Could be extras/castoffs from the press. There's usually overs with big jobs like this. Maybe someone at Warp was having fun with it for the promotional page.

Here I have highlighted the horizontal lines that stem from the compression artifacts. They are not parallel. The squares seem to be of the same size, though.

unparallell_foldface.jpg

Here I have highlighted the horizontal lines that stem from the compression artifacts. They are not parallel. The squares seem to be of the same size, though.

unparallell_foldface.jpg

cause he's holdin up the inside of the lp?