IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

Papat4 slowed down is super good. I uploaded the 45 to 33⅓ rpm version made with Audacity for those of you who haven't heard it yet: [redacted]

I especially love the bassline and the pads.

1) Yes it is. You can really appreciate the drum programming when it's slowed down.

2) Here's a good tip for everyone who is using Audacity to save slowed-down versions of tracks: Download foobar2000 (http://www.foobar2000.org/), it's a free audioplayer that have been my staple since I abandoned Winamp god knows how many years ago.

Then, download this dsp component: http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_dsp_effect

and put it in the foobar2000/components folder.

One of the dsp effects that you can now use is called "Plaback rate shift". Simply set this to what percentage of playback speed you want. I tend to go for something pretty mild, such as -11% for Papat4.

(DSP effects found under preferences -> Playback -> DSP Manager).

Now you can change the playback rate of all your tracks on the fly and don't have to store edited versions of them.

Papat4 slowed down is super good. I uploaded the 45 to 33⅓ rpm version made with Audacity for those of you who haven't heard it yet: [redacted]

I especially love the bassline and the pads.

1) Yes it is. You can really appreciate the drum programming when it's slowed down.

2) Here's a good tip for everyone who is using Audacity to save slowed-down versions of tracks: Download foobar2000 (http://www.foobar2000.org/), it's a free audioplayer that have been my staple since I abandoned Winamp god knows how many years ago.

Then, download this dsp component: http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_dsp_effect

and put it in the foobar2000/components folder.

One of the dsp effects that you can now use is called "Plaback rate shift". Simply set this to what percentage of playback speed you want. I tend to go for something pretty mild, such as -11% for Papat4.

(DSP effects found under preferences -> Playback -> DSP Manager).

Now you can change the playback rate of all your tracks on the fly and don't have to store edited versions of them.

the creative suite player that you got when you bought one of their soundcards used to do that too, was wonderful to speed up all that funk and disco i was listening to that was too damn slow for my taste. I miss it.

still love this album, can't wait for the next proper full lenght

Yeah same here, goes to my top 3 Aphex releases along with Drukqs and ICBYD. It took me some time to understand how huge some of the tracks really are, especially XMAS_EVET10. Syro has sounded great from the beginning but I've grown to love it even more during these two years. Great album.

This sounds totally greedy after the amount of music RDJ has delivered within the past couple of years, but I've too toyed recently a lot with the idea of next proper Aphex LP. I love how there has been some natural logic with Syro->CCAI pt.2->Cheetah trio; the way how they kinda complete one another. ODS was somewhat an oddity between those but then again it was a AFX release and not an Aphex one. Dunno, maybe a LP built around the T tracks would be something interesting. But honestly, whether it was a sc remastered collection, MfM (tussified or not), SAW3 or SOSW 2 I'm in.

BTW when cheetah ep was released, I built a quick ''mini-syro'' (ok, more like a singles collection + b sides) playlist of some of the syro period tracks that I thought went nicely along with each other. I've been enjoying that a lot, maybe you guys can too:

Minipops 67

CIRKLON3

MARCHROMT30a Edit 2b 96

diskhat ALL prepared1mixed 13

Syro u473t8+e

T08+4

T13 Quadraverb

PAPAT4

still love this album, can't wait for the next proper full lenght

Yeah same here, goes to my top 3 Aphex releases along with Drukqs and ICBYD.
Totally agree. Not too long ago I was telling someone it was in my top 3 Aphex releases. I have drukqs and the RDJ album as my other two tho :D

• 2 months later...

Some random stuff (probably discussed before):

Chartreuse color is considered to have "mandela effect", which means that a lot of people remember it wrong (being pink/red), like number of US states or Berenstein Bears (or me thinking that Syro release date was 21 and not 19 of september). Mandela effect can be called one of the conspiracy theories about parallel universes and stuff like that. That it's not your memory's fault, but in reality at that time things were not what they are today, cause way too much people remember it being different. I like how even such small detail fits perfectly into the whole "Syro Lore" that accompanied the record, when in almost every interview Rich talked about said conspiracy theories, time travel, being mad professor and such (and chemtrails ofc), creating a specific background for the music. Maybe he also remembered chartreuse being a different color and things like this entertain him. He said something (or meant) that with a bit of magic and believing in such things life gets more fun. That way you keep your inner child and interest to things around you, protecting you from becoming "tired skeptic that sees only grey colors". Like, what is more important - knowing the mundane boring truth, or living in a beautiful and interesting lie? Or take ancient people that believed in gods and totems - gods had strong characteristics, like being brave, merciful and generous, for instance - so people would naturally try to have these too (i know some gods are cruel etc, but just for example). Like, if a "lie" makes you a better person or chances your life, is it really so bad? Take Christianity for example (hot topic I know) - we realise that this stories are fiction, and probably there is no God, but believing in Jesus and trying to act like he preached makes a world a better and safer place (I'm not talking about the church and politics behind it, but just the teaching itself). I think sometimes this things can be good, just don't get too fanatic about it and don't force people to accept your beliefs. 

Or maybe he was serious about chemtrails and all that stuff, who knows.

f9b5716947f2d298e2dfba9885cb6603.jpg

• 5 months later...

I really wish I could hear the unmastered tracks off syro. I feel like the mastering on this is a bit heavy from the dynamics side of things. They did a great job making it all gel together but I feel like everything feels a bit squashed and stuffed up and some of the parts could breath a bit more. (compare to say, rushup edge).

EDIT: transients are too squashed. Attack and release time on the mastering compressors were too fast. Maybe richard wanted it that way, but I still want to hear original mixdowns.

Edited by Bubba69

I really wish I could hear the unmastered tracks off syro. I feel like the mastering on this is a bit heavy from the dynamics side of things. They did a great job making it all gel together but I feel like everything feels a bit squashed and stuffed up and some of the parts could breath a bit more. (compare to say, rushup edge).

EDIT: transients are too squashed. Attack and release time on the mastering compressors were too fast. Maybe richard wanted it that way, but I still want to hear original mixdowns.

agree 

Heard the vinyl?

I actually haven't. But I remember reports that it had issues. I assumed it was worse.

to my unprofessional ears the vinyl sounds great. A lot of dynamic in it...

Syro's dynamic range (digital copy) is pretty poor. In fact, out of all the releases tested there, it's the lowest scoring.

wJWNpIsh.jpg

Edited by oscillik

Syro's dynamic range (digital copy) is pretty poor. In fact, out of all the releases tested there, it's the lowest scoring.

wJWNpIsh.jpg

da fuk - a "dynamic range database"? Genuinely curious - is there any science behind their ratings, or is it just "this sounds poor to me" or "this sounds good to me"?

I guess for the music noob I am, can dynamic range be measured accurately to generate a score?

wJWNpIsh.jpg

da fuk - a "dynamic range database"? Genuinely curious - is there any science behind their ratings, or is it just "this sounds poor to me" or "this sounds good to me"?

I guess for the music noob I am, can dynamic range be measured accurately to generate a score?

Yes there is. Click on the image, and then click on the album of your choice.

The dynamic range is calculated based on....the dynamic range of the music.

Yeah for sure, it probably does something like work out the RMS volume range or something.... Definitely something that can be explicitly calculated though

EDIT: Haha, Merbow's Venereology and Pulse Demon albums taking #1 & #2 Spot for least dynamic range with an average DR of 0.0 !

EDIT: And this the most dynamic - https://cathnor.bandcamp.com/album/egg-fry-2

Despite that low DR score, it sounds far, far far better to my ears than say, ICBYD which has a higher DR score. I mean the mix/mastering, I'm not referring to preferring the songs.

Why might that be?

Despite that low DR score, it sounds far, far far better to my ears than say, ICBYD which has a higher DR score. I mean the mix/mastering, I'm not referring to preferring the songs.

Why might that be?

Likely because you're confusing dynamic range (the range of dynamics - i.e. loud sections vs quiet sections) with something else?

Why might that be?

Likely because you're confusing dynamic range (the range of dynamics - i.e. loud sections vs quiet sections) with something else?

Isn't there an implication that low DR would be overly compressed? I'm probably misunderstanding, agreed.

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/11023

"This album is the definition of punishment, however without it would never work: this is spastic, violent, electronic noise with 50% square waves and 50% straight saturation."

haha spot on

but I like this album though

:happy: 

merzbowish noise albums will always have the lowest ratings