IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

Despite that low DR score, it sounds far, far far better to my ears than say, ICBYD which has a higher DR score. I mean the mix/mastering, I'm not referring to preferring the songs.

Why might that be?

Likely because you're confusing dynamic range (the range of dynamics - i.e. loud sections vs quiet sections) with something else?

Isn't there an implication that low DR would be overly compressed? I'm probably misunderstanding, agreed.

Could be. But also compression isn't necessarily a bad thing nor is it the only thing that contributes to the overall sound of the mastering.

da fuk - a "dynamic range database"? Genuinely curious - is there any science behind their ratings, or is it just "this sounds poor to me" or "this sounds good to me"?

I guess for the music noob I am, can dynamic range be measured accurately to generate a score?

Yeah for sure, it probably does something like work out the RMS volume range or something.... Definitely something that can be explicitly calculated though

EDIT: Haha, Merbow's Venereology and Pulse Demon albums taking #1 & #2 Spot for least dynamic range with an average DR of 0.0 !

EDIT: And this the most dynamic - https://cathnor.bandcamp.com/album/egg-fry-2

this looks right up my egg street. Nice1

Someone on reddit did this really tight XMAS EVET10 Thanaton3 Mix Cover [KORG MS-20 Mini]

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qeJUkf2cKs8&feature=youtu.be

I remember he did some pretty sweet MS-20 ambient work a few years ago. Pretty nice cover and massive undertaking. I wonder how much of the original track was analog, it's obviously got some digital trickery in there.

Edited by clarktrent

Someone on reddit did this really tight XMAS EVET10 Thanaton3 Mix Cover [KORG MS-20 Mini]

I remember he did some pretty sweet MS-20 ambient work a few years ago. Pretty nice cover and massive undertaking. I wonder how much of the original track was analog, it's obviously got some digital trickery in there.

No, those are analogue breakbeats.

No, those are analogue breakbeats.

Played live on a customised mellotron.

Yeah that cover is pretty crazy. I would've been interested to hear it without the beats, or perhaps with some creative percussive melodic substitution instead.

Interesting note: listening to the original is great and never 'feels' like a 10 minute track to me. This one, though, felt like it dragged on. 

Also is no one going to point out the sweet curves on that figure. Just me? Okay.

He said on reddit it took a month's worth of time to transcribe and a month to program. It's an insane cover but damn, I wouldn't even spend that time on original tracks.

i never understood these covers. make your own music. All that energy for what?

I don't do these type of exercises but I'm sure you learn a lot about the music you're covering (and by extension, music in general) by doing'em.

i never understood these covers. make your own music. All that energy for what?

Well for one, I guarantee that this cover is going to get him a lot more attention and views than an original piece of music. So, exposure if that's what this person is looking for.

I'm with you though, personally I would find that exercise boring and would probably start working on my own thing shortly after starting it.

• 3 weeks later...