IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

• 9 months later...
On 1/20/2021 at 4:48 PM, marf said:

I wonder if Aphex scratched his head why Minipops didn't explode more like Windowlicker. 

there was no video for it and Richard was already too controversial and "off the reservations" with his political opinions. Hollywood, the record industry and Madison avenue will never boost his exposure ever again. Modern culture is tightly controlled and vetted, at best going forward Aphex Twin will be a minor figure of 90's nostalgia as long as he keeps his mouth shut.

• Burger 2

• 1 month later...

revisiting this... quite honestly i only really dig poduk 29, papat4, s95tx16wasr10 and aisatsana... these ones i fucking love but the rest? meeeehhhhhhh...

On 1/20/2021 at 9:48 PM, marf said:

I wonder if Aphex scratched his head why Minipops didn't explode more like Windowlicker. 

if he did he's dumb... minipops is nothing compared to windowlicker... imho, afaik, asap, tldr...

• Like 2

On 3/2/2021 at 11:01 AM, Tim_J said:

revisiting this... quite honestly i only really dig poduk 29, papat4, s95tx16wasr10 and aisatsana... these ones i fucking love but the rest? meeeehhhhhhh...

if he did he's dumb... minipops is nothing compared to windowlicker... imho, afaik, asap, tldr...

bbq.

• Thanks 1

SYRIOUSLY one of my Favorite albums by RDJ:)

:aphexsign::aphexsign::aphexsign:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know, some of the songs are super different 45rpm +~3 on the pitch slider..

fun and funky and engaging. very happy even. feels more like the chartreuse used for the branding..

for me it's like 2 different ideas.. 33rpm +~6, 45 +~3

• 2 months later...

I just listened to it twice after attempting multiple times to revisit it with failure but I'm so glad I actually went through it this time because oh my god I forgot how good this album really is I love basically every track on it

I think the moment that sticks out the most to me is the second half of syro u473t8+e. I like the first half quite a bit but when it goes quieter and the melody changes my entire body gets chills. Might be one of my favorite Aphex Twin moments ever actually I don't know exactly.

Edited by X4creek
  • Burger 1

On 5/25/2021 at 7:12 PM, X4creek said:

I just listened to it twice after attempting multiple times to revisit it with failure but I'm so glad I actually went through it this time because oh my god I forgot how good this album really is I love basically every track on it

I think the moment that sticks out the most to me is the second half of syro u473t8+e. I like the first half quite a bit but when it goes quieter and the melody changes my entire body gets chills. Might be one of my favorite Aphex Twin moments ever actually I don't know exactly.

Yes there's enough great melodies on that track to make an album-- it's like he had another amazing album ready to go and decided to weave it all into this one track

• 4 months later...

Every time I go back to this album I’m always surprised how much I love it don’t know why I’m surprised maybe it’s because I’m still hearing new things from it - really turning into one of my favourites 

• Like 3

Spun this the other day. Only Mr James, AE, and BOC are the artists in my whole life that year after year force me to keep returning to albums I originally dismissed (Syro, Confield, Headphase being the prize candidates) I have such faith in their art that I presume it must be the listeners fault that they can’t interpret whatever musical pictures they are trying to paint. No doubt Confield has shifted into the top spot (as in my favourite), Campfire Headphase second, and Syro languishing in third. Though there are flourishes of sound in most tracks I like, I can’t connect with Syro. Weird to think tunes like Phonatacid is on an obscure vinyl only release and wouldn’t be put on his first major release in years. But then I guess that’s all part of the Aphexian charm. 

I wonder what will come next? And when?

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/22/2021 at 2:06 AM, jchgf said:
On 1/20/2021 at 10:48 PM, marf said:

there was no video for it and Richard was already too controversial and "off the reservations" with his political opinions. Hollywood, the record industry and Madison avenue will never boost his exposure ever again. Modern culture is tightly controlled and vetted, at best going forward Aphex Twin will be a minor figure of 90's nostalgia as long as he keeps his mouth shut.

and also windowlicker is 10 billion times more interesting and better than anything post and including syro.

edit: for now

Edited by MIXL2
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/9/2021 at 1:39 AM, MIXL2 said:

and also windowlicker is 10 billion times more interesting and better than anything post and including syro.

edit: for now

I'll never understand this weird fascination with windowlicker that puts it above more interesting tracks like minipops for so many people. Seems to me like windowlicker is just more pop and accessible and has a wild music video and thats why it gets more popularity. It doesnt come close to stuff like circlont 6A in terms of emotion and how the track evolves. Maybe I've just taken the bait though with this post, but I do know that lots of fans rank it as one of their favourites.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, vkxwz said:

I'll never understand this weird fascination with windowlicker that puts it above more interesting tracks like minipops for so many people. Seems to me like windowlicker is just more pop and accessible and has a wild music video and thats why it gets more popularity. It doesnt come close to stuff like circlont 6A in terms of emotion and how the track evolves. Maybe I've just taken the bait though with this post, but I do know that lots of fans rank it as one of their favourites.

I should clarify, when I say windowlicker is 10 billion times more interesting I mean specifically this track

which it is

edit: honorable mention also

Edited by MIXL2
  • Like 1
  • Big Brain 1

8 hours ago, vkxwz said:

im a huge fan of Pop music but ngl I never exactly got the hype for the title track too

that Formula track rips however

• Like 1

17 hours ago, vkxwz said:

Totally agree!! Even compared with Formula, tracks like circlont6a appear to me as more deeply emotional and complex (composition, mix, groove...) 

• Like 1

I think the Windowlicker title track is extremely special. It manages to be universally likeable electro-influenced dance/pop music while still maintaining the peak of aphex's signature "how the fuck did he do that" sound and still to this day has me in awe all the pieces coming together perfectly.

minipops has some catchy bits but the mastering squashes the dynamics too much, kinda too lofi and analog sounding to be massively popular, and the song structure sort of fizzles out and sounds unfinished. It's a cool track but it was not going to stand out like windowlicker ever did.

• Like 2