IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

This unreleased Aphex track is also amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQcXo_Syt5A

Why can't I have videos direct into my posts??

you are using the wrong link my friend. Go to the youtub page, and then below the video note that there is a tab labelled 'share', inside that is the link that the msgboard will recognize. looks like http :// youtu .be /zQcXo_Syt5A (without the spaces (hey look, it's a couple more aphex twin albums hidden in the link, zQcXi and syt5A ,.. heh.)

i'm doing similar (going back into the whole AFX discography) and not having done that in quite a while I'm surprised by how much Richard D James album holds up, shit's a masterpiece. Especially some of less overtly classical oriented & tracks like Inkey, Peek 824545201 & Corn mouth. Like seriously nobody has done stuff that sounds like that, its just such an interesting abstract poppiness that appeals to me

edit: something I noticed that I didn't before is that almost all of APhex's early 'drill' stuff like Hangable Autobulb sounds like all the rolls and stutters were done with actual midi notes and not post processing. And it's strange how most of the people doing stutters as sort of a 3rd generation aphex influence do it all with audio effects or sample looping (which is how im guessing Vsnares does his in a tracker)

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Guest capitan mission

This unreleased Aphex track is also amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQcXo_Syt5A

you are using the wrong link my friend. Go to the youtub page, and then below the video note that there is a tab labelled 'share', inside that is the link that the msgboard will recognize. looks like http :// youtu .be /zQcXo_Syt5A (without the spaces (hey look, it's a couple more aphex twin albums hidden in the link, zQcXi and syt5A ,.. heh.)

thats not an aphex twin track, is Eedl - spectrum (dubstoned remix)

Edited by capitan mission

I'm just continually amazed by how effortless it seems for RDJ to make his stuff sound weird but also melodically catchy while not veering into pretentions Tom Jenkinson jazz/prog mastery

unreleased song called "crappy" is amazing too even if it is just a repeating loop. I haven't heard many including Aphex himself try to do another song in that style, kind of reminds me of a better version of what KiNK was doing a few years ago . Sort of Roel Funcken-esque as well

edit: also just discovered an aphex soundboard live set I'd forgotten about for years that has newer/cleaner and arguably better semi redone versions of Didgeridoo and Heliosphan on it. I believe its the same set 'Crappy' comes from , I've also seen the same song labeled as 'The Aphex jam'
the set is titled 'Aphex_Twin-Inkeys_(Live_1997)-SBD-1997-EOS'

Edited by John Ehrlichman

i'm doing similar (going back into the whole AFX discography) and not having done that in quite a while I'm surprised by how much Richard D James album holds up, shit's a masterpiece. Especially some of less overtly classical oriented & tracks like Inkey, Peek 824545201 & Corn mouth. Like seriously nobody has done stuff that sounds like that, its just such an interesting abstract poppiness that appeals to me

Agreed! I listened through this the other day and it's seriously good, the mixing is superb to this day. If you get a new pair of speakers then this is the album to test them on!

When i heard people on here knocking it the other day i was bemused. As in what the furk is rong with them boys. You give them all that work so that they'll meet them standard when it comes to greduation, and still they fail. So mizrabrolL that even sweet jesus ain't got time for their god daddy's.

edit: something I noticed that I didn't before is that almost all of APhex's early 'drill' stuff like Hangable Autobulb sounds like all the rolls and stutters were done with actual midi notes and not post processing. And it's strange how most of the people doing stutters as sort of a 3rd generation aphex influence do it all with audio effects or sample looping (which is how im guessing Vsnares does his in a tracker)

In a tracker it's easy to do it either way, but the mistake a lot of people make is to not use multiple channels, therefore the sample cuts itself off when retriggered, rather than cascading across a few channels..

Anyway, I thought RDJ would have used a tracker for those early drill releases. It's very easy to get that kind of sound in a tracker. Especially the grittiness/dryness of HAB (and some of the crude time-stretching used).. and time-wise it fits in with the release of FastTracker 2 in 1994.

It's not aphex, it's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-K8aPVS3y8

That frees up another track on the album to be something new :)

Yeeah nice! thanks for that :)

I'm just continually amazed by how effortless it seems for RDJ to make his stuff sound weird but also melodically catchy while not veering into pretentions Tom Jenkinson jazz/prog mastery

unreleased song called "crappy" is amazing too even if it is just a repeating loop. I haven't heard many including Aphex himself try to do another song in that style, kind of reminds me of a better version of what KiNK was doing a few years ago . Sort of Roel Funcken-esque as well

edit: also just discovered an aphex soundboard live set I'd forgotten about for years that has newer/cleaner and arguably better semi redone versions of Didgeridoo and Heliosphan on it. I believe its the same set 'Crappy' comes from , I've also seen the same song labeled as 'The Aphex jam'

Where does this exist? Torrent? I don't see it on the downloads here...

Where does this exist? Torrent? I don't see it on the downloads here...

Is that the Big Day Out 1997 set? I can't remember if that was a soundboard or not, but it included the new version of Heliosphan

Regarding drills;

It's very easy to get that kind of sound in a tracker. Especially the grittiness/dryness of HAB (and some of the crude time-stretching used).. and time-wise it fits in with the release of FastTracker 2 in 1994.

Who knows, through midi (hardware sequencers) or software, could have also been made with CDP, plenty of processes that repeat the buffer in flexible ways. Matter of inputting a few values in commandline and out poops a wicked snareroll :) .

i also was listening to some of my favorite tunes, so i spent almost the whole night doing this, and felt asleep with this stuck in my head

this is exactly the kind of melodies i expect, not the same rhythm pattern but i really want this complex arpegiated melodies

i agree with some rasta cool dude, Freddies and cute puppy that RDJ will go more melancholic and romantic, we all tend to go that way with age.

It's very easy to get that kind of sound in a tracker. Especially the grittiness/dryness of HAB (and some of the crude time-stretching used).. and time-wise it fits in with the release of FastTracker 2 in 1994.

Pretty sure he used Cubase & maybe something like Cool Edit for the HAB stuff. Also i wouldn't say the time-stretching is crude, a few of those tracks have some of the best time-stretching sounds i've ever heard.

To get the drums sounding key you just need to make the midi track 1 voice so that they cut each other off. Pretty sure Cubase could do this back in da day. Combine this with changes in velocity and ur gold

I don't think Aphex did use trackers (at least not extensively). It's Bogdan who's the tracker master in Rephlex

Edited by Chris Toffer

On a side note, I've also been revisiting older Aphex. His sound design/clarity of sounds is mind blowing. Every single track of his the sounds are unique and interesting. I reckon that's where people fall short these days.

The Joyrex 11 track is gold. Funny how I hadn't heard it until yesterday... still discovering new aphex

Edited by Chris Toffer

i also was listening to some of my favorite tunes, so i spent almost the whole night doing this, and felt asleep with this stuck in my head

mumbly is the new Polynomial-C. please educate yourself.

you serious ?

other wise my education is fine enough thank you

mumbly is the new Polynomial-C. please educate yourself.

you serious ?

other wise my education is fine enough thank you

i was taking the piss. i listened to Polynomial-C when Felix Baumgartner jumped from the edge of space. mumbly gives me a better natural high at the moment though.