IGNORED

Is this (SYRO) the first Aphex Twin album launch since you've become a fan ?

mcbpete

Is this the first Aphex Twin album launch since you've become a fan ?  

222 members have voted

1. 1. Is this the first Aphex Twin album launch since you've become a fan ?

• Yep
    • Nope

Nope, discovered Aphex through my brother after he ripped his 12"s of On and Classics on a CD-r for me around '99. Around then Windowlicker got massive airplay on Dutch tv, so I was completely brainwashed by that. I even had a stopwatch near the TV at all times so I could see how long the video actually lasted.

I vividly remember Drukqs being released: I was 12, first year of high school in the Netherlands and that Rubber Johnny commercial started playing, which was really intense. The day after I asked if anyone saw it and some of my classmates did... they hated it or (a girl) thought it was really scary.The first day of release my brother was in a well known record shop in Amsterdam (Boudisque, now gone) and he told me how the personnel yelled through the shop that the new Aphex had just arrived. He bought the vinyl box (which he later gave to me!)

He ripped the Drukqs for me on CD (50% of the tracks were ripped too slow, which I really liked) and not much later I saw the CD in a shop, hid it underneath a rack of crappy boyband cd's, ran home to ask for money from my parents and bought it and was amazed at how fast the tracks actually were...

With Syro I'm feeling like I'm 12 again though

I have bought and owned several afx t shirts tho, the new green/red shirts are SO SHIT, last like 2 washes, utter garbage. Warp did some blissful ones back in the day that lasted for ever and ever.

Yeah my Warp one from 2006 still is better then that red logo one I bought in 2011 at an Aphex show. The first one I had I printed myself with the .jpg from that Hyperreal website, looks horrible :)

I finally ordered a new one through Bleep with Syro, hope that one's ok!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i remember when drukqs just came out,

i was in the recordstore and i had a dungeon family cd and drukqs to listen to

the guy at the counter told me "that's a fucking good album, man" i gave it a quick spin and didn't like it at all, way 2 weird

got the dungeon family one, lol big mistake

luckely i got it a few years later, probably the best album i ever bought!!

Nope. CTD was my first. I had just started college and this Romanian guy gave me a CRr of this crazy stuff that had just come out. I played it over and over, fascinated. Then after several days set out to get as much of his material as I could, which was surprisingly easy at the time. Found lots of his back catalog in actual stores.

Yes, I got into him about 6 years ago after being told to listen to him by many people, assumed (like many others) that he was just a noisy version of The Prodigy based on Come To Daddy.. When I finally listened to Come To Daddy EP after picking it up at HMV in 2008 I was blown away, I thought Flim might have been my favorite song ever. Then I watched/listened to Windowlicker and was blown away again, became a huge Cunningham fan too. Aphex Twin is to Chris Cunningham what John Williams is to Spielberg, imo

Listened to everything soon after, then when I finally 'got' Drukqs it completely changed the way I looked at music.

So for the past 6 years i've been quite frustrated in terms of electronic music, Plaid, BOC, Kraftwerk etc etc helped cure the itch but it's still not Aphex, I predicted a 2013/2014 release. Just hours before the "new shit is imminent" thread was posted, I planned to stop looking up Aphex news as i'd given up all hope, and to just check every few months.. So this new release is still sinking in, the whole situation couldn't be any better really considering the legendary tracks that'll be on Syro.

I'm just as excited to see how Syro will effect the entire electronic genre, Analord had a big impact I think, and I can see Plaid, Autechre, Squarepusher, BOC and all of the others being inspired by it, or whole new generation of IDM artists coming into the fold.. I can see EDM in general becoming much more intelligent in 3 years or so.. Fingers crossed this will impress me as much as Drukqs did.

Guest Abstract Daddy

I became a fan a year or so after Drukqs, I bought Drukqs, Come To Daddy and a Bill Hicks t-shirt from my local record shop and got instant cool kid status from the patrons.

Unless being shit scared of his videos as a kid counts as fandom? Then I'd say 1999.

Guest bitroast

answer = Yep.

first album = 26 mixes for cash (lol)

was listening to a lot of radiohead, beck etc in 2003. from radiohead heard about aphex twin, autechre. was vaguely interested but didn't know where to start. also checking out other things, etc. then my step brother got a free copy of 26 Mixes For Cash, as part of his monthly hull of free stuff from a magazine (get a bunch of CDs every month, review 1, keep rest). he burnt me a copy cos I was like "OOH I wanna hear this aphex twin")

after 26 mixes for cash, purchased drukqs because it was the cheapest CD at the shop and it was a 2CD (although the minimal packaging, 2CD, low price. I was pretty sure it was going to be a crap album. I was absolutely blown away. once vordhosbn kicked in I was almost crying / laughing with joy. like being reacquainted with some long lost relative you've been searching for all your life or something ^^ )

saw Come to Daddy on MTV2 late night, 1997, and (understandably) became obsessed with it. Sounded kinda like Firestarter, or something by Chemical Bros..but a whole lot weirder. That'd pretty much been my musical experience by that point, i was around 11 years old i think. Windowlicker a few years later made me look up as much as i could Napster on afx. Everything changed from there pretty much..

Well on the hype by then for my first purchase, which was Drukqs. I'd been in record shops looking at ICBYD and RDJ LP and just kept staring at the covers, totally intrigued by them. Joined Joyrex.com around this time and after hearing Cock-ver 10/54 Cymru beats sampler streamed in shatty .ram format from the Warp site, i bought the CD at HMV the day it came out.

Syro is making me feel like a kid again. Honestly haven't felt this excited about a record since then.

no, but I'd be willing to make this (dickish) bet that 90% of the reviews we'll be seeing from the 'big 5' and more are written by people who are ultra noob aphex fans.

Phillip Sherburne might actually be writing the one for pfork, I actually like and respect him. He did the interview that's been teased recently as well. Mark Richardson wrote the BoC one and he is one of the few (hell maybe the only) pfork writer still around from the late 90s.

But yeah, otherwise I'm a bit worried. Tiny Mix Tapes might be too try-hard academic and smaller outlets will probably have the better reviews.

As in Aphex rather than the other aliases.

Ditto. I starting listening to Aphex Twin in 2004, earnestly from 2005 onward.

I love this thread.

Yes. During the sumer of 2007 I found Aphex Twin. Someone wanted to be cheered up in a forum, so someone posted the video for either Come To Daddy or Windowlicker. I think it was CTD. I remember the first time I watched Windowlicker I was thinking Aphex Twin was some sort of metal/hip-hop weirdness. :duckhunt:

Then I got all into it. Early tracks were 4, Alberto Balsalm, ya know, the regular bunch. My birthday was coming up, & I went to my local used records/movies/games shop Disc Replay. I think at this point I had already found WATMM. All they had was S.A.W. II. I wasn't sure about picking it up, it was double price. My mom convinced me to do it.

I still remember that evening. I listened to it while relaxing in my back yard, walking around, going to the local convenience store, drinking a Snapple. That might've been the only time I've really listened to the whole album.

I got into it all after that. I craved the rush I would get when I'd go to a record store & find an RDJ release. I miss that feeling.. Most of my purchases were from Amazon though.

I got into Aphex around Come To Daddy in 1997, and I remember WindowLicker coming out. I had the T-shirt and got the VHS (lol) tape :)

I'm old.

Just realized that one of my earlier posts was incorrect--I meant to be replying "Yes" to something donervan said. But my first post was my official answer to the poll: "no".

Yes. Had the Polynomial C track from a comp and the Remixes for Cash cds, but no other Aphex until a couple of years ago even though I stared listening to electronic music in 1996. Some reason I thought it would be too weird and just never tried it. I've made up for lost time quickly though!

Archived