IGNORED

Syro period interviews

Boris de Vries

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hah, we don't have to because attemptiachus has had enough. It's like playing with synths, there's a myriad ways to say the same thing. In fact this thread and every other are built on that foundation, part of the human condition, so lighten up an go with 'em. ?????

This is the interview thread though, so... Then again we're now just apparently just echoing sensei sama. And noone would be moaning if it were just pointless positive affirmations in the key of yay, about things and stuff.

Lol having fun on a couch in a room in a rented apartment in rockhamton, who'd have thought, there's puns on names and evreething.

Yep, dropping a bomb like that seems to have a tinge of marketing about it.

I don't really care about the 9/11 or illuminati stuff, but I'd be upset if he was one of those moon landing fakers or Electric Universe quacks. It's hard to put down in words how vexing they are to someone with scientific training

PS I'll still listen to his music lol

Yep, dropping a bomb like that seems to have a tinge of marketing about it.

I don't really care about the 9/11 or illuminati stuff, but I'd be upset if he was one of those moon landing fakers or Electric Universe quacks. It's hard to put down in words how vexing they are to someone with scientific training

PS I'll still listen to his music lol

'scientific training' eh, check out architects and engineers for 9/11 truth. There weren't just two towers felled that day, ppl shorted airline stock in the preceding days, in the short months before the lease holder on the site upped his insurance, tower 7 contained wall Street investigative material, passport of hijacker being found straight away, pentagon attack contains no wings or plane and was section that contained information on missing trillions of defense budget announced shortly before 9/11 by rumsfeld, on the same day as the attack an exercise wad scheduled which left many first response attack craft in alaska, and on and on. Science relies on a burden of proof, you have many smoking guns, and a proven unreliable source in the government and media. Get with it, smug and clueless is not an option. We welcome the scientifically minded, there are already 100s of thousands of us, and tens of millions more out there awake to this crap. I know it's scary to find that you don't live in fantasy happy fatherland but a selfish disaster movie, but that's OK, just means you've matured as an human.

@;-] :: [-;)/o*

Heh, although, I have posted electric model of the universe stuff. Not convinced by that but I don't like the red shift orthodoxy, check the guys that recorded a nebula next to a galaxy with entirely separate red shift, nails that theoretic only a little. I'm more of a solid stater. With a giant cup of we don't really know wtf.

Guest Chesney

To quote a BoC song "Nothing is real". No one knows any solid information about any of the typical conspiracy theories apart from the orchestrators. And they just let the truth, if it's at all out there to get lumped in with all the wild crackpot theories in order devalidate it and bring it down to silly theory level.

Whenever I think of conspiracy theorists, I think of people who think they are highly intelligent, smoke too much weed and have tattoos, peircings and flesh tunnels, think they are wide eyed, alive and open to the truth while everyone is asleep at the wheel but in reality they are just lazy people who are addicted to various money making industries with too much time on their hands to think.

Normal people have opinions and probably don't care enough to voice them because nothing can be done so they get on with life.

Whether that's a good thing or not, I don't know, but, it's reality.

The more I think about it, the more obvious it becomes that Steinvord was a joint Mossad-Warp false flag operation designed to give the appearance that anyone besides Mr. James was capable of carrying out the September 2014 disco assaults. And if you think the Caustic Window auction was anything other than a money laundering operation to fund illegal black sites in the Scottish countryside, you better think again. Honestly, we're supposed to believe that anyone would pay $37k for a bunch of 20-year-old waste bin tracks?

fnord

Is there anything that's been said that suggests SOSW was written between '86 - '89?

Yes, Warp's press release for the album.

As far as everything else goes, it's just different people's interpretations of things. I know I don't disclaim my ramblings enough with "as far as I can tell", but yeah, I'm just this one woman in her own little world. You should take what I say with a pinch of salt. :) Plus, you know, we're all people and sometimes busy or tired when rambling to each other.

Through listening to their albums, I'm pretty sure quite a lot of electronic dance artists such as Aphex Twin and Orbital (who have both made much music that I love dearly) only learnt music theory after they started releasing good tracks, hence their first few albums are very good yet contain notes played on different instruments at the same time that clash with one another. This isn't the end of the world, and I think it's what most musicians go through these days, because people have worked out (like Daphne Oram did way back) that having a good broad overview of which parts work together and how to build up a track is more important to learn first of all than making everything sound slavishly in tune.

These days, making music isn't just about the music itself anymore, it's about the recording, including the sound design. It's fine to learn that first.

RDJ totally didn't know how to write a melody before hangable auto bulb...hahaha what a bunch of shit!!!

Fair enough, let me try to articulate myself a bit better: I believe that to begin with, he didn't know how to consciously write a melody because he seems to have not taught himself much music theory right away. He still knew how to intuitively write a melody, which he often did to great effect, but occasionally he'd write something jarring that I don't believe was intended to be. Which is perfectly fine, as no one's born knowing everything, and making (often fantastic) tracks every day while reading up on the craft is a fine way of learning. I'm pretty sure he learnt how to stick to a key fairly early on ([Parallel Stripes] is in B major, for instance), but his first tracks to actually alternate different sections rather than simply play a single section throughout are in Melodies From Mars and Hangable Auto Bulb, plus Donkey Rhubarb's Pancake Lizard (which switches from one section to another half way through, but doesn't alternate -- an interesting choice, which hardly anyone does, because most people take the verse/chorus structure for granted, so I'd say it's better that he taught himself these things and tried out different options).

Anyway, I really don't mean to imply he has less than great talent. On the contrary, to see him slowly building up his craft is testament to how far he's come and how much effort he spends on honing his skills, which is something we can all learn from...

If you don't like taking things apart and seeing how they work, that's fine. No one's forcing you to read my ramblings. :)

Guest Wander

Zoe knows her shit. I play a little guitar, but for years I was just too lazy to look up any theory. What I found later after looking up a few things is that, oh yeah, this and that thing I came up with goes in this scale or whatever. I believe that coming up with stuff intuitively can definitely be interesting too, but ultimately a knowledge of theory will probably make it easier to come up with stuff or even know how to break conventions if you wish.

"There was only a couple of years where people didn't know what they were doing, and you got all these samples that are just totally not related in pitch. I really hunt down those records. They've got this ridiculous mishmash of things that totally don't go with each other at all. Obviously, after they've done it for a couple of years they learn how to make chords and stuff, and it's not so interesting now."

I think a point to make is that Aphex doesn't care about what's a "normal" and "correct" chord or melody according to theory. To go by the book is not his way. So some of what we think was not intentional in the beginning of his career, maybe was. He has also said that he loves NOT knowing what he is doing, when he makes music, instead of following the usual logic of music making and its parameters.

Guest Wander

Yeah, I definitely find that part of what he's said in interviews very interesting. Also how he talked about how we have been brainwashed in the Western world to think about music a certain way when really, music could be just anything. But I think as a product of this brainwashing, without knowing theory, it is easy to slip into conventions accidentally. I can't erase the impact of all the stuff I heard growing up that tends to follow certain rules. If you are smart about it, you can use your knowledge of the "rules" to make new interesting things.

I believe that to begin with, he didn't know how to consciously write a melody because he seems to have not taught himself much music theory right away. He still knew how to intuitively write a melody, which he often did to great effect, but occasionally he'd write something jarring that I don't believe was intended to be.

I've always thought this too, but it's the sort of thing I avoid mentioning around here as I know it would be viewed as heresy, heheh.... Same thing with Cylob's music. it's part of what makes both artists interesting in some ways, but also leads to some occasional awkwardness. *ducks*

But if Aphex had a bigger theory background I don't think his later output would be half as interesting.

lol

triachus is some kind of wizard.

I have to be honest here, I didn't make it. DerWaschbar did. But I was allowed to post it with his permission.

Lets all hug and kiss DerWaschbar, such a shy 'coon he is

Archived