IGNORED

The end of Rephlex Records?

Herr Jan

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not dead, just transformed

i can hear rephlex everywhere

Thing I miss most is the risk and the eclectic / unusual selection from one source, they were masters at it and they are solely responsible for getting me into so much styles of music at an early age as it was easy to process coming from just one label. Most Rephlex artists found a way around other labels and/or platforms and are filling that gap perfectly, but there is a big part of Rephlex that is maybe missing a bit from similar labels: Mood Bells, Voafose, Hecker, Freakwincey, Slipper, The Gentle People, Pierre Bastien, etc.

Combine that with the fact that they regularly brought in great new and upcoming artists (a lot of them being picked up later by other / large labels) and the reissues / licensing they did just because they thought the music should be heard instead of what's demanded / trending (the BBC Radiophonic Workshop set, Dwayne Omarr, T.C.M., Robert Normandeau, etc.), that amount of risk is something to be praised and respected. Don't think I trusted any label / brand / whatever more musically than the Rephlex crew, that should say enough.

at least i can finally complete my collection without the worry of anything being added to it.

True :) will take me years though as I'm only at about 140 physical copies and the second hand prices are being driven up more and more (especially the AFX ones of course, still regret saying no to the complete Analord set with binder for €200 incl. P+P...)

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived