IGNORED

Losing the 'one' in tracks and knowing it

I only realised the other day that some cool hip hop tunes have 3 bar loops--probably really just cause sometimes nice samplable bits are 3 bars n then they loop em and then Q-tip pretended it was intentional. Anything like that just makes me feel the vibe more rather than listen carefully to what is going on. On the other handed being able to grunt or woop just before every one can be fun too.

• 2 weeks later...

It's funny how there's always a bass guitar player in all those late 80s/early 90s pop videos, yet no bass guitar to be heard for miles.

Edited by psn

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This is something I think is done predominantly amongst the featured (specially mike p) artists as might have been mentioned. A particularly good example of this imo is Brivert & Muonds.. Is like two completely different tracks depending on if the "one" goes with the bass (at start) or with the drums (when they kick in).. Makes it a joy to shift between the two rythms although it's quite tricky to force it!

Had to post this when I saw this thread resurrected.  It's the beautiful closing track on Dilla's donuts - loved it since I first heard it, but just recently came to appreciate how subtly brilliant the parts of it are woven together.  On first bump it's ostensibly 4/4 boom bap, except its a 6-beat loop that's spliced at the "&" of 6 (and not the 1).

:dadjoke:

this track is particularly easy to lose the 'one' in imo...

I didn't enjoy this at all so I didn't analyze it or even finish it but it seemed like maybe it's polyrhythmic?  That was my first impression of the meter at least. That doesn't mean you /can't/ lose the one technically, but it does (imo) make that feeling of losing the one sort of moot, at least in some cases. Actually I think that track might be polymetric not polyrhythmic. Whatever. Anyway, the track sucks ;)

Had to post this when I saw this thread resurrected.  It's the beautiful closing track on Dilla's donuts - loved it since I first heard it, but just recently came to appreciate how subtly brilliant the parts of it are woven together.  On first bump it's ostensibly 4/4 boom bap, except its a 6-beat loop that's spliced at the "&" of 6 (and not the 1).

Yeah that early hit on the & is pretty common in older R&B and soul and such. He's got a good loop of it, and his truncation of it to the 6-beat length works surprisingly well. All I've heard from him, he's got a very good ear at finding those odd little aspects of songs and exploiting them for some interesting feelings and groove. 

Here's my contribution for today, I thought for sure I'd seen it mentioned in this thread but maybe it'd been elsewhere on WATMM or just online I guess. Good general explainer for off-kilter shit like this thread is all about as well: 

I love it when this happens... kind of.  Well, I find it interesting anyway.  I'm often aware where the one is supposed to be, but regardless of that my brain interpret's the groove in whichever way it was misinterpreted originally.  Happens all the time with Radiohead and certain Analord tracks.  I remember there was one track off King of Limbs that I must have heard a dozen times before I actually heard it properly.  I knew I was imagining the one a different spot than they intended, and it made for a very unusual and unique song experience, since no one would actually write a song in the way I was hearing it.  Just way too counterintuitive.  But without fail that's where my brain would start hearing the groove.

Aha it was this one.  I think I was hearing the first hi-hat as starting on the one?  Which put the snare at a really awkward spot, but there are so many other cues in the song also reenforcing the weird groove that my mind wouldn't be able to shake it.  I can only hear the normal version now.  Kind of wish I could go back to the fucked up way again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMBZ_dOtLQo&list=PLUgE7trc2SX8D3OHoVtpP3LS3Ub4TFvW7&index=4

I didn't enjoy this at all so I didn't analyze it or even finish it but it seemed like maybe it's polyrhythmic?  That was my first impression of the meter at least. That doesn't mean you /can't/ lose the one technically, but it does (imo) make that feeling of losing the one sort of moot, at least in some cases. Actually I think that track might be polymetric not polyrhythmic. Whatever. Anyway, the track sucks ;)

Funny, I don't remember specifically asking for your analysis or opinion on the track aux... especially if you didn't listen to the whole thing.

It's certainly not my favorite track ever by any means, but it's not a bad track imo, it's just VERY minimal. what's interesting about it is how easy it is to lose the one despite it being so minimal, especially later in the track when the other rhythms on top of the main one come into play.

Edited by ghOsty

^^ That track is in 7/8. I follow the drum sample that sounds like a footstep (it can be heard at the very beginning of the piece), it repeats every 2+2+3.

It took me ages to follow the pulse of Photek's The Seven Samurai

Edited by IOS

^^ That track is in 7/8. I follow the drum sample that sounds like a footstep (it can be heard at the very beginning of the piece), it repeats every 2+2+3.

It took me ages to follow the pulse of Photek's The Seven Samurai

That sounds right, but some of the other percussion seemed to maybe be repeating but not within the same loop: maybe just added randomly, but like I said on my first listen I was guessing maybe it's also polymetric. Dunno really. That Photek track definitely makes me lose the one, not bad stuff though.

Funny, I don't remember specifically asking for your analysis or opinion on the track aux... especially if you didn't listen to the whole thing.

It's certainly not my favorite track ever by any means, but it's not a bad track imo, it's just VERY minimal. what's interesting about it is how easy it is to lose the one despite it being so minimal, especially later in the track when the other rhythms on top of the main one come into play.

I was trying to listen to the rhythm and figure out why you were losing the one because it just seemed like an odd-timed/randomized beat to me, not a thing that made me 'lose the one.' They're generally two very different things, and that's why I even mentioned it at all, because I'm not sure it really fits the bill of things in this thread. I was thinking maybe it was just me misinterpreting the track? Not going to listen to it again for reasons I've already stated. ;)

And ghosty, I don't remember asking for your permission to discuss electronic music on this here electronic music forum created for discussing electronic music to which you posted some electronic music. I discussed it. I got two thirds of the way through it, for the record, and it was dragging like a motherfucker. Literally nothing could've happened in the last minute or two that would've redeemed what'd already happened to my poor ears. Even now, I can still hear the lifeless electronic toms and percussion reverberating weakly in my memory, shredding any visions of joy or happiness I ever had in my past, now just dark splotches of uninspired kicks crashing against the backs of my eyes, the sadness of the breakdown halfway through the track just perpetually trying to give some emotion to the abyssal chasm of time marred and laid to meaninglessness by that empty combination of sound...

Edited by auxien

Even now, I can still hear the lifeless electronic toms and percussion reverberating weakly in my memory, shredding any visions of joy or happiness I ever had in my past, now just dark splotches of uninspired kicks crashing against the backs of my eyes, the sadness of the breakdown halfway through the track just perpetually trying to give some emotion to the abyssal chasm of time marred and laid to meaninglessness by that empty combination of sound...

Heheheh... well played.

It does have a consistent 7/8 groove the whole way through though, so losing the one is valid.  I thought it was a pretty cool track.  

Even now, I can still hear the lifeless electronic toms and percussion reverberating weakly in my memory, shredding any visions of joy or happiness I ever had in my past, now just dark splotches of uninspired kicks crashing against the backs of my eyes, the sadness of the breakdown halfway through the track just perpetually trying to give some emotion to the abyssal chasm of time marred and laid to meaninglessness by that empty combination of sound...

yeah okay aux...

look ,discussion is fine, I'm not arguing that, nor am i aiming to pick a fight with you... but maybe the next time you don't like a particular post, either ignore it or keep it analytical rather than outright bashing it with "track sucks"

the loose 7/8 is exactly why I find it possible to lose the one on, hence why i posted it... it's no one's job to cater to your particular tastes ;)

Edited by ghOsty