IGNORED

Clark - Clark (Nov. 3rd 2014)

lawrenke

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When did he move to Berlin? Maybe that's the issue. I feel like music like his is best conceived in a cold parking lot behind LIDL, with the wind cutting through your clothes, and the suburban sun dwindling.

He moved before Body Riddle, hence Herr Bar and Frau Wav opening tracktitles. He wrote something about his landlord on Myspace back in the day.

When did he move to Berlin? Maybe that's the issue. I feel like music like his is best conceived in a cold parking lot behind LIDL, with the wind cutting through your clothes, and the suburban sun dwindling.

lol

I do find this self titling a bit weird, probably because of the type of music we're talking about, because it's a good few albums into his career, and because 'Clark' is his second name. But the promo video, music and imagery was awesome.

I dont feel like that way but i get the picture !

Clark is losing his magic for me since Totems Flare.

I feel the same. But really, re: the signature sound, that is what he is LOSING. The synth verbs on totems flare are some of the most original things he has ever done, and if it were up to me, he would explore different melodic ideas while keeping that aesthetic. Totems Flare is the perfect template. Outside Plume opens by introducing the general sonority, texture, and tone of the album, a sample of the full spectrum of the album. It ends on that heart wrenching warm/cold autumn synth space. It's really a dire album. Talis? Infallible piece of work, maybe the emotional heart of the album. Absence? Do you know of a better album closer?

All that about him collecting samples for 3 years on a spirit journey through iceland for iradelphic, and then it's just a harpsichord jam, and the backing synth, instead of improvised like it should be, is a repeated sample? No no no.

Re: Unfurla, he is going to have to unfurl more than that for me to make up my mind about whether or not we will get a true return of Clark.

true. also his beatwork is getting less & less interesting - unfurla has some nice melodies/sounds, but why the fuck did he have to go with this totally boring clean as fuck four to the floor bass drum for almost the whole track length??? in the clark forum thread someone compared the track to nathan fake because of this, but other than him being a techno producer i can't see the similarities. at least nathan fake does seem to know his bass drums.

sorry for the rant, but i am a huge fan of all of clark's music up to & including totem's flare (suns of temper, ahhhh) - but his output after that makes me sad. in a bad way, mind you.

My comparison of him as sounding similar to Nathan fake wasn't based solely on the drums. Stylistically clark's recent output is similar, as well as texturally and they use similar sound palettes and techniques too.

Also they're friends so it stands to reason they rub off on each other (similar to Iradelphic being a result of too much clark-bibio interaction).

Anyways, I hear the similarities but those are my ears after all, if you don't hear it you don't hear it!

Lets hope the rest of the album is better than unfurla.

I think the album is going to be big, mean and gritty. he always paces his albums well and unfurla is pretty early in the tracklist. I'm thinking positive. it'll be infinitely better than iradelphic, no doubt.

From what I've heard during his Phosphor shows, it definitely will. I remember Unfurla being played there and it was actually almost weak compared to the rest. At the time It was like "that cool track he played amongst huge ones". I'm sure it will be the case in this album too.

It seems to go on far too long without doing very much (re Unfurla), compare that to this 10 years earlier where every 30 seconds the track seems to going in a completely different and exciting direction:

Proper complexity of programming - That's the [Chris] Clark I love. During that era I was convinced he'd take over from Aphex as being the Warp leader of explosive intricately made electronic music, but unfortunately it wasn't to be. I blame bibio :lol:

Archived