IGNORED

Aphex Twin: minipops 67 [120.2][source field mix

Joyrex

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lush, OK-ish, no big ideas, genuine RDJ, Windowlicker vibes in the end, love that final part. Will have to relisten. Scepticism still with me. Joyrex of course is right, he cannot give us the past back... but I hope for some new excitement like Ae was able to create,

To nerd over details - I like how some of the high frequency percussion (hihats, shakers) sound like they haven't been high pass filtered. Particularly the choppy hihat that sounds like it has a fair amount of sustain from a kick drum in it - it's easiest to hear it when it plays "solo" with the piano around 2:17.

I bought the 320cbr mp3 and around the 1:20 mark, somewhat in the whole track, a lot of dynamics compression seems to be going on. Hmmm.

Beats and bass sound a bit like "too much". Air is missing.

EDIT: I mean, yeah, the first starting beats are immediately suppressed after a few seconds...

Guest BasDirks

lulz ppl analysing the new shit all the time like "51.94% Tuss, 39.73% Aphex Twin, hope rest of the album will be x y z". Clever boys.

Joyrex of course is right, he cannot give us the past back...

Isn't that what the Caustic Window album was? We've now got a new-old 90s album and a new-new 00s/10s album. That's a pretty good year for Aphex fans! :D

I keep seeing people talk about this in terms of the past work, but there's something about the constantly unfolding structure and something in the drums playing against everything in this odd way that feels really different to me. Like there's a super functional awkwardness to the way everything happens that is just so wonderfully distinct, I'm liking it even more than I expected.

So now after a few listens I can say, I like the vocal part very much. The track structure is "easy", rhythm is simple, except that out-of-order drums at ~00:50, but thats not new...

I keep seeing people talk about this in terms of the past work, but there's something about the constantly unfolding structure and something in the drums playing against everything in this odd way that feels really different to me. Like there's a super functional awkwardness to the way everything happens that is just so wonderfully distinct, I'm liking it even more than I expected.

RDJ bonus is obvious here

Guest escmode

Joyrex of course is right, he cannot give us the past back... but I hope for some new excitement like Ae was able to create,

In a way, I think the opposite - for many this new release does just that, whether we're consciously aware of it or not, these aphex sounds and even just the buzz surrounding the release transport us 10, or 20+ years back in time. I think there will be plenty of excitement and innovation in new music we'll hear of his during the next couple of years... unless he takes offense at the Plaid comparisons and disappears into a bunker again;-)

i cant get into it. i paid the two bucks to listen to it in highest quality available, arranged pefect listening scenario (well, im just alone in a room, but you know) and i just cant get into it. iit sounds like rot13. or one of other afx-inspired acts. i mean it's not a problem per se that afx got one-upped by his successors/imitators, and im sure theres lots of gems on the release. but as far as first new song released as aphex twin since 2005 goes - i am being let down, big time.

it makes me said :(

i think im going to avoid any leaks. first reviews/track-by-tracks are not that flattering, and i think i'll just wait for the vinyl and even if its not up to standard at least ill have some fun. listening to vinyl is pretty fun.

It's kind of bland but I think that's true of most post-Windowlicker Aphex. The sound design/production is superb, lots of details and layers, can get lost in it. But it also seems to reheat a lot of Aphex-isms...the rubbery bouncing funk beat, vox, and melancholy synths. Not bad, very inviting and lush, but also kind of predictable. At least it doesn't sound as serious as much of the stuff on Drukqs.

Archived