IGNORED

Aphex Twin: minipops 67 [120.2][source field mix

Joyrex

Track sounds fuckin massive. Listened earlier on radio 6 but just downloaded from Bleep

Agreed that it's kinda like a future Windowlicker vibe, playful and catchy. Those Tuss-y, Overstep-y jabs at 1:45 are a highlight

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just sent it to my girlfriend.. her review:

"eerie, haunting, urban, delicate, like im traveling though the cosmos, chill but with an underlying tension, hinting at something deeper and darker"

She's new to the phex, so it's really cool to hear her somewhat unbiased perspective (:

Song is awesome, so much more awesome than the live track hinted at.

Am I the only one who thinks it sounds quite similar to Plaid? Being a massive Plaid fan, this is an plus imo.

Yep, there is some plaid feel to the main structure while all elements are obviously rdj. Metz too.

I tell you what I think is sad and disappointing is that plaids new album has 5 pages of chat while syro has way over 100 in just the build up.

Granted, 99% of that syro thread is man children wanking over the coolest artist to name drop in conversation. ;)

You have to factor in a few things here:

Firstly, the hype due to the fact that people are posting on a music board where the Admin is called 'Joyrex' - (no disrespect meant at all). People love Aphex here so much that a Kickstarter managed to get some rare material released and raised some good cash for charity. WATMM is practically a shrine to Aphex. It's like preaching to the choir.

Aphex also has some of the aura, mystique and myth that helps fuel sales in the same way it works for BOC.

Secondly, Plaid release new material pretty consistently (thank goodness). For die-hard fans, a new Aphex Twin album from Warp is like the messiah returning. It has been a long wait.

minipops 67 sounds excellent - hope the rest of the stuff is as good.

holy crap, couldn't manage the urge to listen lol. amazing how it's been 7 years since we first hear it. thank you Lord Aphex!!! definitely will cri listening to the metz track (4 years since first listen!)

percussion sounds absolutely lush. voices too! :aphexsign:

"eerie, haunting, urban, delicate, like im traveling though the cosmos, chill but with an underlying tension, hinting at something deeper and darker"

She's new to the phex, so it's really cool to hear her somewhat unbiased perspective (:

Um, do you happen to be your own girlfriend? Heh. You tend to describe things like that. :emotawesomepm9:

Guest GyreViper

I think the Plaid comparisons are fair. I mean that's what happens when you don't put out as much as say Plaid does. The melodics at 1:05 are very Plaid-ed. (Maybe we'll find out it's a collab heheh).

I will say the production is really fantastic, although I don't think the track stands on its own in its entirety.

But there are some amazing sounds in it and in headphones it's pretty physical. But it is by no means what I was expecting for the first single. Was kind of hoping for something a little more inflated. This is pretty drowsy.

I've barely given it a proper listen, though. So I'm just spouting off first impressions.

Um, do you happen to be your own girlfriend? Heh. You tend to describe things like that. :emotawesomepm9:

lolol touche.. ya my invisible gf! nah, more like i find myself drawn to women who are descriptive and poetic like myself... but yes our language styles are hauntingly similar

1st listen: aphex quality weirdness! But so weird, lol.

2nd listen: fucking aphex top quality weirdness, lol!!

3rd listen: holy fucking...

4th listen: mmmmmmm :music::music::music:

5th listen: YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAIOHoighdfsihoihsdfiosoyf

Great on so many levels… Now I just have to stop myself for overplaying it the next few weeks. Insane creativity and quality. Genius at work, ladies and gentleman.

I found it a tiny bit bass heavy but all I had to do was turn down my subs a notch

top notch production just eq'ed a bit heavy on da bass.

I'm not complaining though like I said it's an easy fix. Press button on each sub. fixt

Stephen, you need new monitors. They arent't AFX-approved. :)

Guys, just looking at a WAV and seeing that a limiter was used does not mean it was over-compressed. This is techno music we’re talking about here.

But yeah, pretty amazing track. Actually just kind of magical in the way that it is calm but complex, playful but eerie, beautiful but silly, etc. Amazingly Aphexy in that sense, as has been pointed out.

I found it a tiny bit bass heavy but all I had to do was turn down my subs a notch

top notch production just eq'ed a bit heavy on da bass.

I'm not complaining though like I said it's an easy fix. Press button on each sub. fixt

Stephen, you need new monitors. They arent't AFX-approved. :)

they're big ol' floorstanding vintage cerwin at15s

=(

Archived