IGNORED

Syro reviews

scumtron

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My reactions reading the The Quietus review:

There are no jaw-dropping WTF!? moments. That's not to say that Syro isn't any good (it's very, very good), but it is missing any startling innovations that make you think, “Holy fuck! Did that just happen?”

Oh man, that's exactly what I didn't want to hear

nothing on Syro comes close. Then again, nothing on Drukqs came close

Hahaha yeah you can go fuck yourself

Guest Papillon

Yeah I hope that reviewer is wrong. I think Aphex Twin did say something about this album being more accessible, I hope that doesn't mean boring. Yikes. I'm really curious about the hiphop track with swearing girls...

nothing on Syro comes close. Then again, nothing on Drukqs came close

Hahaha yeah you can go fuck yourself

For real. I've always hated these sorts of remarks about "Drukqs", which was a fucking masterpiece of an album. As a matter of fact, I welcome revisionary reviews to that album: if those reviewers want to admit that they were wrong in their criticism of "Drukqs", please do so. It seemed like some sort of clique-y thing for music journos to dismiss it back in 2001, but there's no denying that there are jaw-dropping moments on that album. For fuck's sake.

NME Review. I haven't read it yet - posting it here seemed more important.

http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/aphex-twins-syro-first-impressions-60-minutes-of-banging-tune-packed-braindance

Never thought I'd catch myself saying this, but that NME review isn't that half bad

I agree.

Guest progben

I doubt that there will be any huge surprises or innovations in Syro - but the detail of his writing/production eclipses any need to pioneer a new wave of electronic music or whatever. The 'startling innovation' of Syro is, perhaps, the fact it exists at all. That makes me happy enough. If the music is stellar (which it will be), then case closed.

I see this album as a 'Hi, I'm back. Here's what you wanted (Manchester, Metz etc)', it'll be a listenable, fun, enjoyable record which will draw in new fans and make the old ones very happy indeed. A truly innovating album at this point would probably be the wrong move anyway - better to give people what they want before he delves into the 5+ other albums he has on the backburner which will no doubt be branching out into less accessible territory.

Did anyone complain about Daft Punk's RAM for not reinventing the wheel? Nope. There's no need to reinvent the wheel if you can reinvent yourself, and that's why Daft Punk succeeded and that's why Syro will also succeed.

Guest progben

Actually everyone complained about RAM

They did?

Source Rating Allmusic 11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_half.svg.png[84]The A.V. Club B+[85]Chicago Tribune 11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png[86]Entertainment Weekly A[87]The Guardian 11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png[88]NME 10/10[89]Pitchfork 8.8/10[90]Rolling Stone 11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png[42]Slant Magazine 11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_half.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png[91]Spin 8/10[92]

I guess a lot of fans complained, but I'm talking about an overall reception to the thing.

Anyway, +1 to hanz tisch: more dancing is needed.

They did?

Source Rating Allmusic 11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_half.svg.png[84]The A.V. Club B+[85]Chicago Tribune 11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png[86]Entertainment Weekly A[87]The Guardian 11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png[88]NME 10/10[89]Pitchfork 8.8/10[90]Rolling Stone 11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png[42]Slant Magazine 11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_half.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png[91]Spin 8/10[92]

I guess a lot of fans complained, but I'm talking about an overall reception to the thing.

sorry i didnt mean the official reviews but i would say over 60 percent of the real fans were dissapointed (not because it was bad) but it was more mainstream and the raw catchy sound was missing.

They did?

sorry i didnt mean the official reviews but i would say over 60 percent of the real fans were dissapointed (not because it was bad) but it was more mainstream and the raw catchy sound was missing.

I think they were really mainstream since Discovery

interesting. These reviews sound like this release is pretty much like the tuss releases from before. The artwork also adds to this. Remember? The Tuss CD artwork was basically just a small picture with text. Now on Syro we have a small picture and more text. This unused artwork looks exactly the opposite. Lots of stuff going on. No clean text on white surface. Instead we have a buttplug, a dead badger and the stencil cutout. This is a much more Richard D James alike artwork. Weird jokes all over the place. I wonder if the picture is artwork used in the 2nd release and shows the weird richard we know from Richard D James Album in the music (where are the weird self made robot instruments?) given there will be another one as promised in the 4chan post.

Paqt0i9.jpg

Guest capitan mission

you know, opinions are like assholes....
I will make me own impression, after all, not all of my favorites albums/movies/books where high on critics. even here in watmm not everybody like the same aphex stuff, Druqks is one of my favs albums ever, and some other releases I don't even like.
there's a thing about innovation, richard thinks that a lot of electronic music puts innovation above musicality, that's his opinion. He is know as a great innovator but don't wait for something absolutely new in each new album.
i will be happy if syro is a well made album in regards of technick, an iconoclastic pop album

It's really very good. i don't disagree with a lot of what the reviews say tbh. Love the fact it gets more bonkers as it goes on. It's exactly what I wanted. If you're a fan, you can't really be disappointed with this release

They did?

I think they were really mainstream since Discovery

I can't think of another album with as much forced and overwrought acclaim as RAM - the PR machine behind it was massive.

NME Review. I haven't read it yet - posting it here seemed more important.

http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/aphex-twins-syro-first-impressions-60-minutes-of-banging-tune-packed-braindance

Never thought I'd catch myself saying this, but that NME review isn't that half bad

I agree.

This is really descriptive and informative, reminds me of the Quietus track by track review of Tomorrow's Harvest last year.

Archived