IGNORED

Syro reviews

scumtron

NME Review. I haven't read it yet - posting it here seemed more important.

http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/aphex-twins-syro-first-impressions-60-minutes-of-banging-tune-packed-braindance

Thank you for that. I enjoyed it. Looking forward to my listen. 59 minutes to go! :)

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These reviews are fucking toxic, stay away from them. What kind of a reviewer even writes "WTF!? moments"? or talks about skrillex as a mastermind producer?

lol'd so hard at " NOBODY, no, not even you Skrillex – does it better. "

NME Review. I haven't read it yet - posting it here seemed more important.

http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/aphex-twins-syro-first-impressions-60-minutes-of-banging-tune-packed-braindance

Never thought I'd catch myself saying this, but that NME review isn't that half bad

yeah, quite lush

Guest cyphersum

Fuckin brilliant album! It covers a lot of ground. There are some challenging (and I mean challenging in a positive way) moments in both sound design and composition in the unknown tracks. I'm dying to hear it in headphones now.

More Oor stuff! Here's a review of the album (in Dutch, won't translate the full thing except for the conclusion: 'it's not a masterpiece, no new territory explored, nothing you wouldn't expect, but nobody does it better than him and man, are we glad that he's back'. I was hoping it would be like this so I'm glad :)

Don't agree at all with the reviews claiming there's no new ground covered on Syro. It's much funkier and dancier than any of his previous albums and much of it (the third track especially) is unlike anything else he's done before. Of course it still sounds like Aphex, but there's a definite progression from previous albums.

The album is dancier than expected, which is a good thing. Although, the tracks are all very layered, as I'm sure you could expect. At times, I found myself thinking "here's a banging beat with some super funky bass over what could be an amazing, stand-alone ambient tune".

Lots of "Awesome Aphex Twin Moments" for sure.

Don't agree at all with the reviews claiming there's no new ground covered on Syro. It's much funkier and dancier than any of his previous albums and much of it (the third track especially) is unlike anything else he's done before. Of course it still sounds like Aphex, but there's a definite progression from previous albums.

With 'no new ground covered' it's more like it isn't really revolutionary like so many of Aphex albums were at the time. Like Autechre said of OPN: "music just got handed a new set of parameters", that was what Aphex did. I'm not sure if he can still do it, he probably could, but I don't expect that of him anymore. I'm just glad he's back :)

Funkier / dancier isn't exactly revolutionary, but it's great of course!

Really looking forward to that third track, sounds like a really unexpected direction.

If I remember correctly, that's the Minehead track.

With 'no new ground covered' it's more like it isn't really revolutionary like so many of Aphex albums were at the time. Like Autechre said of OPN: "music just got handed a new set of parameters", that was what Aphex did. I'm not sure if he can still do it, he probably could, but I don't expect that of him anymore. I'm just glad he's back :)

Yeah. Is there place to still be innovating without calling it just being 'experimental'?

Yeah. Is there place to still be innovating without calling it just being 'experimental'?

IMO there is still music being produced that is pushing the boundaries of 'dancable' electronic music, like OPN, Actress, Hype Williams? and I guess Autechre as well (they're not trying to but seem to do it anyway), etc.

Of course Aphex could have more stuff released on Syro or maybe even later releases that can change the music scene, after all, every time he released something dozens of copycats pop up, but I'm perfectly ok with him releasing just really good tunes in his 'comfort zone', so to speak :)

Guest Papillon

Good to see there's a couple of watmm'ers giving reviews of the hearing sessions that already have taken place.

*plays minipops on repeat*

I posted a review, new thread about the Toronto listening party.

You might not like if though.

Good to see there's a couple of watmm'ers giving reviews of the hearing sessions that already have taken place.

*plays minipops on repeat*

I posted a review, new thread about the Toronto listening party.

You might not like if though.

Good luck with your stones! :D

It reads like you got tired towards the end of the album. It'll grow on ya. Just like the stones. ;)

so after actually hearing Syro what's the verdict on Steinvord now, more likely RDJ is involved or less likely?

the descriptions keep reminding me of various points of the Steinvord 12" "layered" "ravey" "bangers" "classic jungle" etc

so after actually hearing Syro what's the verdict on Steinvord now, more likely RDJ is involved or less likely?

the descriptions keep reminding me of various points of the Steinvord 12" "layered" "ravey" "bangers" "classic jungle" etc

If Steinvord is RDJ, then he was being uncharacteristically substandard for that release imo. It doesn't have the same sound design as his other stuff.. or Tom's, for that matter.

i think only 2 people can fuck shit up like on steinvord and that would be pusher or phlex

a great chance we'll know pretty soon, i hope it's him and that he will release a whole sonic obliteration album like that

we are ready evil one, massage our nipples

Guest capitan mission

I think he is Steinvord, he tried to throw us off by throwing in questionable decisions in the songs, just like with The Tuss. I definitely think it's outtakes from Drukqs turn into something else.

But the tuss is sooo rdj, i will be really impressed if the tuss wasnt richard. In the other hand, yeah, i think that he is steinvord also, but in some moments i considered the possibility of some guy copying a lot of drukqs style. a lot of talent in those guy hands..... if he is squarepusher and not rdj, these anonymous records are better than most official squarepusher stuff (to me steinvord sounds like drukqs plus a little squarepusher)

I think he is Steinvord, he tried to throw us off by throwing in questionable decisions in the songs, just like with The Tuss. I definitely think it's outtakes from Drukqs turn into something else.

But the tuss is sooo rdj, i will be really impressed if the tuss wasnt richard. In the other hand, yeah, i think that he is steinvord also, but in some moments i considered the possibility of some guy copying a lot of drukqs style. a lot of talent in those guy hands..... if he is squarepusher and not rdj, these anonymous records are better than most official squarepusher stuff (to me steinvord sounds like drukqs plus a little squarepusher)

APHEX TALKS ABOUT... THE TUSS
Talking about anonity: you never officially confirmed you are behind the two EP's from 2007, from The Tuss(credited to Karen Tregaskin). Now that I've heard Syro, I can almost certainly say you are The Tuss. Some tracks are obviously The Tuss extensions.
"The Tuss wasn't completely anonymous, there were enough cloues to recognize me in it. But you are right, my new work is an extension on The Tuss. It went on from those ones.
The electromechanical tracks of course not, but I have already put some of those on Drukqs."

Archived