IGNORED

Syro reviews

scumtron

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest cult fiction

the electromechanical tracks? Does he mean stuff that's not on syro for a future release?

I reckon he's been doing electromechanical stuff off and on ever since Druqks, has obviously broken out his midi piano for Tuss and post-Tuss stuff seems unlikely it'd be limit it to that

so after actually hearing Syro what's the verdict on Steinvord now, more likely RDJ is involved or less likely?

the descriptions keep reminding me of various points of the Steinvord 12" "layered" "ravey" "bangers" "classic jungle" etc

As likely as ever, but I'd say that Syro dates the Steinvord tracks a few more years back because of the production style. Syro sound so fucking updated, so my guess now is that Steinvord was made around 1997-2002.

Edit: Ie, Syro doesn't sound much like Steinvord at all, except maybe the Vibertwhatever track that reminds of Phorumwanky with its four to the floor house vibe and the bendy riff.

Actually everyone complained about RAM

yeah because it was shite.

I think the fun you have with it is directly inverse to the amount of thinking you do. As far as a soundtrack to sitting in a sunny garden drinking pimms goes, it's

quite good.

so after actually hearing Syro what's the verdict on Steinvord now, more likely RDJ is involved or less likely?

the descriptions keep reminding me of various points of the Steinvord 12" "layered" "ravey" "bangers" "classic jungle" etc

If Steinvord is RDJ, then he was being uncharacteristically substandard for that release imo. It doesn't have the same sound design as his other stuff.. or Tom's, for that matter.

But the production on the Steinvord tunes sounds much better than Hello Everything and Ufabulum imo. If these 2 were released by a nobody, I would be impressed, but I would believe it wasn't necessarly Tom. Not saying they are great albums, but they aren't no GP or Ultravisitor.

Still saying Steinvord sounds different in composition and mixing technique, not better or worse, just different, like it's someone else. Still A grade tunes. Wish we could get the remaining tunes released properly. Grant promised a Steinvord release on that interview a couple years ago. If anyone is able to contact with him let us know. It's just few people can come up with listeneable music of that nature. It's a shame they were all on Rephlex and (apparently) they stopped releasing anymore.

Best review so far for me. Highlights the evolution vs. revolution debate going on around the record, and argues firmly that evolution is what it shoots for (and succeeds in).

Review from The Wire

http://i.imgur.com/ORCD5BU.jpg

I've just read about 3 reviews in a row about 3 different artists that talks alot about '80's music'. I've come to the conclusion that,

1. Most talking about it in reviews weren't there,

2. Don't even know what 80's sounds are,

3. Aphex Twin = 80's music? What?

Da new Arfox Twonz- veteran Ricahrd Donahue Jameson of DJ and best techno band since Real McCoy- has a new release after 13 years driving a tank in UK (which is by China, btw). Da new soundz iz like, 80's Soundy Lauper and Markel Jarksin, but it's pretty experimental and crazy. Definitely really cool music! Much like other grates of house techno like Squarepushman and Venetian Blinds (who's real name is actually Aryn Funkman! Isn't that cool?), mister Arfox definitely exemplifies- per se- the 80's experimental underground scene like others like Jimmy Hendrix (reggae master), who the Twonz colloroted with in "Expert Nob Twiddling vol. II". So if you're a fan of Craft Work (if you don't know this Russian techno band from the 80's, you gotta listen to "Tour Of France!"), then I highly recomend Syro, released on the venerable and- per se- record label of Warped Records (it's called that because their good @experimental acid, techno house, and dubstep like Skrillex). 9/10 for Syro! It would be a 10, but I like the really weird stuff like with tape scratches (which is an alanog medium), so it wasn't weird enough techno for my exlextic and avant guard taste. I'm studying now for my first semester exams for ITT Technical Institution (which is a ivy league university like MIT (a.k.a Stanford), and Syro is good for listening to for studying. I guess- per se- I'm just really happy and exasperatedly happy that my most favorite techno house band of all time finally released a new record album. I loved him for AT LEAST 3 years, so I know what I'm talking about! 9/10 for Syro. I highly recomned it!

review by Chony Andison, all right is reserve (and reserving) 2014

Archived