IGNORED

Syro: Format of purchase

Parsifal

SYRO Formats  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What Format(s) Are You Getting SYRO On?

• CD
    • Vinyl
    • Digital (iTunes, Bleep, etc.)
    • Japanese CD
    • Limited Edition (if I get a chance to buy it)
    • ALL THE FORMATS! ALL OF THEM! FUCK YEA!
    • I am not buying SYRO on any format

These last years I've mostly been buying music as downloads, but with Syro I want the CD, just because there are already so many RDJ CDs on my shelf so I want to keep the collection going. But seeing that I am more hyped for this "fan-service-the-album"-album than any album in recent memory I feel a totally irrational desire to buy the 24-bit WAVs as well, although I know I would never be able to tell the difference. Hell, I could buy the MP3 version and not tell the difference, I'm sure.

Does anyone else feel the same way? How many of you believe that you can actually tell the difference between the 16- and 24-bit release? (btw, what's the frequency? still 44.1khz?)

Well, having written this down I now feel that I can be satisfied with buying just the CD, so I guess this was cathartic... Also ripping, compressing, tagging, replay-gain-scanning and archiving the CD is half the fun, if you're the kind of nerd I am...

P.S. Screw the japanese release, I'll just download that bonus track and put it in it's own folder, those kinds of bonus tracks just screw up the end of albums anyway. I mean, what whould it be, a second piano outro?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I can't tell the difference (even if I could, my stereo is mediocre at best).

I preordered the CD because I want a sort of souvenir for this release, and vinyl is overpriced [imho, ymmv, tcby].

edit: honestly, if I could get a pdf of liner notes and art w/ flac purchases, I'd never buy physical again aside from the occasional "event" release.

I liked back in the day when FLACs and 24bitzors were available in bundles. I did 24-bit WAV + CD for some of the AE stuff and it was quite enjoyable.

I’m trying to curtail spending tho so I’m thinking for Syro I’m just gonna head down to the local store and buy it on release day. New releases tend to be on sale ’round here.

Funnily enough we were discussing this at the listening event tonight. I can't tell the difference between 320kbps and FLAC. 192 is usually good enough, but I do download 320 where possible. The format i chose was the Japanese CD, so I could have the bonus track. When received the CD will be used once, to burn to my drive and then never be looked at again. CDs and physical media in general are really clutter to me. I do enjoy the odd physical release though, such as Colundi Levels 4 and 6 and Trachermatte's recent tape

I never listen to physical format anymore. I have a small collection of vinyl, a medium collection of CDs and a LOT of mp3s. My smartphone is my device for music (besides my PC of coarse), but for some strange reason HTC didn't bother to include a CD drive with the phone, so HQ MP3s it is. There was a time when I just had to have the physical copy, but that time has passed. They just collect dust now. I didn't even bother with the Caustic Window sleeve, as cool as it was.

I hate CDs, but I know I won't be able to resist buying the Japanese version when I'm in Tokyo in two weeks. I pre-ordered the vinyl and don't really care about not having a WAV version. Not sure why Bleep go for 24bit rather than higher frequency..?

I know I can't tell the difference (even if I could, my stereo is mediocre at best).

I preordered the CD because I want a sort of souvenir for this release, and vinyl is overpriced [imho, ymmv, tcby].

edit: honestly, if I could get a pdf of liner notes and art w/ flac purchases, I'd never buy physical again aside from the occasional "event" release.

Wait you don't get the digital versions? Outrageous.

Wait you don't get the digital versions? Outrageous.

I don't know about other stores, but I've never gotten anything but the music files with my past Bleep downloads. It doesn't seem right, does it?

The only time I've ordered something digital and it has come with more than just the audio files was when I bought the latest Textures album; it came with a PDF containing liner notes/artwork. It was nice but I haven't looked at it since I bought the album. Track by track artwork is better imo!

Guest progben

I'm going for vinyl because it's a more immersive experience for me. But I'm buying the CD too for the car, and that way I get the cool cost breakdowns of both formats.

Usually I buy electronic/ambient on vinyl and then the occasional cd, and the rest is digital.

CD, I like to change the format on my player, I'm currently running the apple lossless because I can hold more tracks that way (as opposed to wav)... Also I can alter the format whenever I want with a hard copy.

And I have a fairly decent hifi, imo nothing beats listening to albums "properly" through that :)

I've paid for it three times. Stupid? Prolly. Only decided to buy physical after hearing minipops and reading the various reviews online. I wasn't planning to buy physical, but this one's gonna be good. So I need the physical object as well.

Probably never going to unwrap it, but whatever.

Went with the itunes/wav24bit combo earlier on, btw. Out of convenience. itunes will download itself to my computer whenever available. And is always available in the cloud. And bleep will be crashing for a week, i presume. But the wav24bit is highest possible quality... i just need those extra bits

I bought the compact disc through Amazon. Doing so affords me the rights to a copy their terrible quality mp3s of the album. Therefore, I will either soon be acquiring some external disc drive for my computer (which I've needed for a while...) or just illegally downloading some decent quality mp3s or WAVs so I can have the album on my computer/iPod.

Basically, I'll be keeping the CD in my car for months most likely, so I need some non-car way of listening to it when I can. But this album is going to sound great in my car, I can already tell after the production on minipops67. Can't wait to hear it.

japan cd and vinyl

Same here! I ordered that CD a while back but given how ridiculush the first track sounds I'm going to want this on vinyl too eventually. I agree about bonus tracks sometimes not fitting the flow of an album but I know I'd regret not having it so yeah.

The vinyl is just out of a kind of fetishism I guess. CD/16-bit 44.1 kHz WAV is still the reference format for me, vinyl has its own quirks and qualities but from a fidelity standpoint there's no contest.

24-bit probably has its place for technical reasons and studio applications or whatever but for pure listening, is there any scientific evidence that a human subject can discriminate between CD and 24-bit audio?

Preordered the cd from bleep before I realised the japan issue had a bonus track. Went to preorder from japan but shipping cost nearly as much as the cd + if it gets caught in customs it would amount to something like $80, too much for a bonustrack I thought but it still bugs me...

Vinyl and CD through Bleep + Japanese CD. Because you know, it's Aphex. I'm everything but an audiophile so I really wouldn't know what to do with 24-bit. Heck, I still listen to my 128 kpbs Aphex Twin tracks I downloaded from Kazaa / Audiogalaxy early '00. I even prefer some of them to the high quality versions.

Archived