IGNORED

Syro: Format of purchase

Parsifal

SYRO Formats  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What Format(s) Are You Getting SYRO On?

• CD
    • Vinyl
    • Digital (iTunes, Bleep, etc.)
    • Japanese CD
    • Limited Edition (if I get a chance to buy it)
    • ALL THE FORMATS! ALL OF THEM! FUCK YEA!
    • I am not buying SYRO on any format

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is great! I got 7/10 on a quick first try.

The 24-bit flac of "minipops67 [120.2][source field mix]" is the same size as the 16-bit flac - meaning it's a "fake" 24-bit file, upconverted from 16-bit. I assume Bleep will fix this before the album release.

Maybe when FLAC compresses stuff that is so limited/compressed the resulting files will be the same size because the least significant bits of each sample in the 24-bit version will be unused so they will just be compressed to "nothing"? But I guess the waveforms should still span the entire 24-bit range, so maybe it's like you say and the 24-bit version is just padded with 8 empty least significant bits for each sample... This would actually be kind of funny :D

Man I'm so glad I'm not an audiophile.

I'm a abit amazed at how many people here are still buying CDs. I was sure it was a dead format by now.

to answer the question: vinyl + mp3 for me.

I was also surprised that there are still quite many who prefer CD. I thought that I was the last one of my dying breed. For me it’s simply compact format which takes little space and is easy to use and rip to digital. I don’t see any point in format wars and can understand that people prefer different formats and I’m fine with that. What I can’t understand is that when you want vinyl you have many people patting your back but if you even dare to mention out dated CD you are the lamest person on the planet. Each for their own right?

At some point I thought to get a vinyl player myself but realized I would have to pay so much money to get the releases what I would be worth owning. So for me it's CD for home listening and mp3’s for outdoors. I’m glad with my 320 kbps though so you can’t really say I’m an audiophile. I’m more interested of the tunes than paying too much attention to bit rates.

I have to wait my Syro until the 26th since I ordered my CD from a local store. First I thought to get it from Norman but it would take at least a week to get here anyway. Plus I didn’t want to take the risk of parcel getting delayed or lost especially since I have yet to receive my Cat023 digipak. Any Finns received theirs?

I'm a bit surprised by the amount of CD buyers too, but largely because almost every other music forum I read is full of analogue nuts, and I don't think I know a single person in real life who buys CDs. Nowt wrong with the format, although I definitely prefer vinyl (which is how I'll be enjoying Syro.) Speaking of...

byg6c.jpg

The 24-bit flac of "minipops67 [120.2][source field mix]" is the same size as the 16-bit flac - meaning it's a "fake" 24-bit file, upconverted from 16-bit. I assume Bleep will fix this before the album release.

Maybe when FLAC compresses stuff that is so limited/compressed the resulting files will be the same size because the least significant bits of each sample in the 24-bit version will be unused so they will just be compressed to "nothing"? But I guess the waveforms should still span the entire 24-bit range, so maybe it's like you say and the 24-bit version is just padded with 8 empty least significant bits for each sample... This would actually be kind of funny :D

Man I'm so glad I'm not an audiophile.

Euh...they didn't have a 24-bit FLAC option? There's only 24-bit wav file option? So if you dl the flac, you always get the 16 bit???????

If you make a flac out of the 24-bit wav it clocks in at about 28 MB, the same as the 16-bit flac. So as Parsifal said, this basically means the 24-bit file is the same as the 16-bit file, with eight zeros added to each sample. Bleep may have fixed it already, I do not know. Either way, it is indiscernable to the ear, so 16-bit is good enough for me.

Guest BunnyRabbit

Norman for vinyl (my shop of choice)

Bleep for CD (there might be a sticker or something - the logic of this is tenuous, I probably should have just got if from Norman)

24-bit wav from Bleep too. (I'm away till the Tuesday night and if the dl's comes out Friday - which is when the physical stuff will go in the mail - then I'm solid). First time I've done this and will A/B with the CD 16-bit wav files in due course to make my mind up. When I record at 96/24 I can tell the difference. Whether it makes much difference in this case I really dunno.

Japanese CD will come eventually from my man in Tokyo. Meanwhile he'll hook me up with the bonus track.

I'm sort of disgusted with the special edition. As someone who likes to get everything from RDJ (couldn't be arsed with smojphace though) I would pay more for a special, but it's just not worth it to me. I like having all the formats and the different things but £250 is way over what something like that is worth to me. Looks nice though.

24 bit lossless is a way for Warp to make money from audiophile claptrap.

Yeah, I still don't quite understand why it's necessary if the difference is literally impossible to hear, and it's not for additional processing afterwards.

Sold my CD collection years ago, building a healthy vinyl collection now. For me a high quality stylus paired with a good amp, speakers and high quality 180gm pressing is easily superior to any other format; my ears tell me so. Music sounds more alive from vinyl and the bass frequencies are far more real, cd and mp3 are fantastic reproductions also, but lack the extra something I can't quite explain.

Sold my CD collection years ago, building a healthy vinyl collection now. For me a high quality stylus paired with a good amp, speakers and high quality 180gm pressing is easily superior to any other format; my ears tell me so. Music sounds more alive from vinyl and the bass frequencies are far more real, cd and mp3 are fantastic reproductions also, but lack the extra something I can't quite explain.

I like reading turntable and stylus reviews. It reminds me of wine and cigar reviews. There's so much interpretation and personal storytelling.

Apparently I'm stupid. Pre-ordered the CD at a local shop, got AFX credit card, turns out it's not a download card. It's just a card. Souvenir I suppose. Ok, so of course I can rip the CD myself, but what ticks me off is that the "release date" is 9/23, whereas the Blerp release date is 9/22. so I'm punished for a day for pre-ordering?! Was assuming I'd be able to download on 9/22 even if I couldn't pick up the CD for a couple days. What is it that happens when you assume? I forget...

Archived