IGNORED

Aphex Twin - Melodies from Mars

MassfreeKid

Anyone else think Fingerbib works way better on MfM than on the RDJ album?

I always thought RDJ was very sporadic (part of its appeal), but when I heard Fingerbib as part of MfM, it clicked.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a guess, I think he wrote Melodies From Mars before Luke Vibert started influencing him, or perhaps he was concurrently working on the different styles, but keeping them mentally separated. Vibert clearly influenced the Spotlight remix and Hangable Auto Bulb onwards, through to about Drukqs or so.

As a fun exercise, imagine how his music might have evolved without Vibert's influence. :)

it'll be released as a super limited edition for the ultimate fanboy, x4LP box containing nasa mineral sample from mars and a print of richard wanking with money around his prick, also a lathe cut of a 40 sec track on a toilet paper roll that can be only played with a wax cylynder phonograph, all for 700$ and a kidney

sounds fucking fantastic

As a guess, I think he wrote Melodies From Mars before Luke Vibert started influencing him, or perhaps he was concurrently working on the different styles, but keeping them mentally separated. Vibert clearly influenced the Spotlight remix and Hangable Auto Bulb onwards, through to about Drukqs or so.

As a fun exercise, imagine how his music might have evolved without Vibert's influence. :)

I think the influence went in both ways... I mean, when Vibert picked up his first few pieces of gear, Aphex had been making music for years. Mike Paradinas has been very honest about this. Aphex was the shit back then for these newcomers. They all looked up to him as some sort of advanced composer way ahead of them.

"I mean, Aphex was quite a big thing quite quickly once 'Analogue Bubblebath' came out – in our uni anyway. (...) I got his music home and my record player didn't work then, so I had to put it on tape in a friend's house, and I was listening to it thinking, "What the fuck?!" because it was amazing; the melodies, you know on 'Isopropophlex', the strings were coming in, the little samples and distorted computer game drum sounds... It was like a completely new English techno, completely inspired by his own influences."

Source: http://thequietus.com/articles/15098-mike-paradinas-u-ziq-heterotic-favourite-albums?page=12

Aphex literally came out of the blue. It's easy to imagine that Luke had the same experience with Aphex's music. He showed them all where to go. Quite a big influence on these guys, I think.

Guest Jbrace1970

i don't think its where he lives its just my favourite track,i live in the area and had to put a roof on a house there.When my boss gave me the address i was excited like a kid going on holiday,sad i know .

Fingerbib stands out on RDJ album, whereas it's just one of the track on MFM. It does belong there, but I love albums where every track is its own island, instead of all tracks being points in the same river.

I liked Musipal and the bj cole duo album has fun moments but I find it hard to take Luke Vibert seriously as a musician. Most of his tracks / beats seem to come from the same recipes / ideas. A skilled producer of disposable tracks.

to me mfm always sounded like some tracks he made on a laptop while awayfrom a studio, just fun things he sequenced out to go back and do proper later on, so i for one welcome a re-made version. would be sick, we already got the old one, as if you wouldnt want a new version. But would be happy to take a remaster and press. such a cool little album

I liked Musipal and the bj cole duo album has fun moments but I find it hard to take Luke Vibert seriously as a musician. Most of his tracks / beats seem to come from the same recipes / ideas. A skilled producer of disposable tracks.

You picked the right guy to criticise there, cause Vibert fans are way too easily distracted by

I'm quite familiar with their both music but never found that much resonance between their respective works, could you point out some specific releases that you feel influenced RDJ at that time?

I'm quite familiar with their both music but never found that much resonance between their respective works, could you point out some specific releases that you feel influenced RDJ at that time?

As far as the drill bits went:

I have no idea, the only Vibert I've had is Lover's Acid (where the name Analord appears to have come from) and YosepH. I'm just going by what James said in an interview:

It's mainly inspired by my mate, Luke Vibert, and the jungle tracks he's been doing. That's about the first thing that's inspired me that's modern for about five years, I think.

As far as I can tell, this is around the time he started infusing manic breakbeats into his music, trying to push the rhythms to absurd levels of intricacy and mania.

I have no idea, the only Vibert I've had is Lover's Acid (where the name Analord appears to have come from) and YosepH. I'm just going by what James said in an interview:

It's mainly inspired by my mate, Luke Vibert, and the jungle tracks he's been doing. That's about the first thing that's inspired me that's modern for about five years, I think.

As far as I can tell, this is around the time he started infusing manic breakbeats into his music, trying to push the rhythms to absurd levels of intricacy and mania.

In one of the recent interviews Aphex spoke about how he had hip-hop beats in his new album, and that Vibert was entirely to blame for that because Aphex doesn't listen to hip-hop and only percieves it through Luke Vibert's music. Must be said that the third track on Syro is scarily close to a Vibert track. I can't help thinking it almost has to be a collaboration. Funky as hell.

And yeah, according to older interviews with Aphex and Squarepusher, Luke inspired both a lot with his weird drum 'n' bass stuff as Plug.

Archived