IGNORED

Aphex Twin - Melodies from Mars

MassfreeKid

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

y319OH9.jpg

That's some outstanding artwork man. If the Melodies From Mars remake or remaster or whatever it is ever sees the light of day I'll probably go back to this thread and use this instead of the official cover, unless the official cover is somehow better. 

Guest bitroast

y319OH9.jpg

That is awesome work (as always) - my only issue is the misspelling (intentional), but I know what you were going for with it.

for some reason i'm also wishing the crater anus looking thing had a bit of a brown lump turtle neck half popping it's way out. but otherwise, great!! :^)

y319OH9.jpg

That is awesome work (as always) - my only issue is the misspelling (intentional), but I know what you were going for with it.

Pls make it the official WATMM background when MfM will be out Joypapa :flower:

y319OH9.jpg

But... the cover art's entirely different, I'm afraid :dadjoke:

y319OH9.jpg

But... the cover art's entirely different, I'm afraid :dadjoke:

:w00t:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wonder if Melodies From Mars would be as cool if it were re-created with more current aphex production, as richard mentioned he was planning to do at ond point if im not mistaken? There's something charming about its raw midi esque form, though I could imagine him totally killing it on a next level re-vamping.

I wonder if Melodies From Mars would be as cool if it were re-created with more current aphex production, as richard mentioned he was planning to do at ond point if im not mistaken? There's something charming about its raw midi esque form, though I could imagine him totally killing it on a next level re-vamping.

I think he said he's already done it, that he finished it sometime in the previous decade. I wonder what his reasoning behind doing it is?

It seems like, out of all of his albums, this one would be the one you wouldn't re-do since the quirk is in large part from when and how it was made. Also, if it comes out we will yet again have a new version of fingerbib. Then later a remastered version of RDJ album will come out, then we'll have a fourth, then the remastered MfM album... etc. etc.

I think he said he's already done it, that he finished it sometime in the previous decade. I wonder what his reasoning behind doing it is?

It seems like, out of all of his albums, this one would be the one you wouldn't re-do since the quirk is in large part from when and how it was made. Also, if it comes out we will yet again have a new version of fingerbib. Then later a remastered version of RDJ album will come out, then we'll have a fourth, then the remastered MfM album... etc. etc.

the more versions of Fingerbib the better...

lolol seriously

yeah agreed, theres definitely a mystique to mfms current form. if anything it would be awesome to see it properly released with unique official art and any outtakes and b-sides that exist etc etc... or maybe an mfm II

• 3 weeks later...

What makes it cool is being unreleased and therefore something that only the in-crowd knows about, so it'd lose that, which is fine.  Improving the timbres is a welcome change.  If you've ever written a demo using simple timbres, made the music as good as you possibly can, then patched and performed it into a full blown track, then you'll know what a difference it makes.  The demo version can seem great at the time, but once you have the finished version for a side-by-side comparison, you'll feel naïve for ever thinking the original demo was releasable.

What makes it cool is being unreleased and therefore something that only the in-crowd knows about, so it'd lose that, which is fine.  Improving the timbres is a welcome change.  If you've ever written a demo using simple timbres, made the music as good as you possibly can, then patched and performed it into a full blown track, then you'll know what a difference it makes.  The demo version can seem great at the time, but once you have the finished version for a side-by-side comparison, you'll feel naïve for ever thinking the original demo was releasable.

That is no more apparent than with Windowlicker's early versions and the final, released masterpiece.

AFAIK Fingerbib (or Logan Rock Witch) is NOT on the test pressing for MFM.

What ? So you' ve heard the new mfm ? Papa pls !

No silly - I'm talking about the original test pressing CAT 087 that has existed for yonks but hardly anybody's heard since there were less than 10 copies made.

If Richard was going to release MFM properly, it would probably be based on that. The MFM cassette that leaked ages ago was a compilation of those tracks, plus some others he was working on that eventually made it to the RDJ Album.

Archived