MassfreeKid

1. Syro

2. Melodies from Mars

3. Electro-mechanical stuff.

4. Boxset 85-95.

5. New album post-Syro.

Two out of three ain't bad...

Tease!

So do you mean two out of the first 3 ain't bad, or that 3 of these rich has mentioned allready so... Oh I don't know, I'm confused and tired!

Just spill the beans man!

Please :)

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Syro

2. Melodies from Mars

4. Boxset 85-95.

5. New album post-Syro.

What does two out of three mean on a list of five?

From the list of five two are given. Syro, obviously. And MfM, I'm guessing.

From the other 3, my guess is the boxset is not in the current pipeline. He released syro to close a chapter, and he couldn't be arsed to go through his entire vaults of old music for a boxset (tried but stopped after 3 hours questioning himself whyyyyyy...). Plus he confirmed he wanted to release newer stuff.

edit: my 2 cts.

plus, i don't believe he stores his music in "periods". he talks about various stacks of types of music, but i don't believe the period is relevant in any way. at least not to him. but that's just speculations obv

...he couldn't be arsed to go through his entire vaults of old music for a boxset (tried but stopped after 3 hours questioning himself whyyyyyy...)...

plus, i don't believe he stores his music in "periods". he talks about various stacks of types of music, but i don't believe the period is relevant in any way. at least not to him. but that's just speculations obv

I get that his time can be better spent making new music, but going through his archives looking for the best tracks is what other people are for! For example, if you compare the B12 archives with Electro-Soma, you can tell that the person at Warp who picked those tracks did so very well. If anything, being someone other than the original composer helps with objectivity somewhat. He should find someone he trusts (probably at Warp), send them everything, and ask them to release only what they deem to be good.

I'm not sure if or how he categorises his music, but it sounded like he had some DATs labelled Polygon Window, so it sounds like at least at some point he was naming projects, although it seems a bit ambiguous what's an album name and what's an alias (or a track name, for that matter). They seem somewhat malleable.

Good points. Although I don't think that he'd allow someone else going through his stuff. Wasnt the story that he used to give friends tapes (read: compilations of pre-selected tunes) from which those friends compiled albums? I'd be surprised if he'd give someone carte blanche to go through his entire personal library of tracks in order to compile a from the archives album. Maybe if he's run over by a car, or something.

Take a look here, might be of interest to you... https://archive.org/details/RichardD.JamesRares

(I trust archive.org links are okay to post)

The bad news: the Peel Session is missing track 4 (Pancake Lizard in a different key), and the bootleg tape seems to have encoding issues for tracks 1 and 6. The bootleg tape appears to be the same version floating around elsewhere.

The good news: wow, that is a clean and I believe (certainly in the case of the first track) stereo recording of the otherwise unreleased first and third Peel Session '95 tracks. Good find, thanks!

1. Syro

2. Melodies from Mars

4. Boxset 85-95.

5. New album post-Syro.

From the other 3, my guess is the boxset is not in the current pipeline. He released syro to close a chapter, and he couldn't be arsed to go through his entire vaults of old music for a boxset (tried but stopped after 3 hours questioning himself whyyyyyy...). Plus he confirmed he wanted to release newer stuff.

I think he still wants to do it... at least that was the impression I got by what he told me. I think getting someone to help (or a community...?) sift through it all and decide on what's worthwhile is a good idea.

1. Syro

2. Melodies from Mars

4. Boxset 85-95.

5. New album post-Syro.

I think he still wants to do it... at least that was the impression I got by what he told me. I think getting someone to help (or a community...?) sift through it all and decide on what's worthwhile is a good idea.

I don't know if you're being cheeky or not but what if he/we/someone created a service where we could listen to tracks and categorize them. A bunch of different ideas follow with the same end. It could be like Pandora and the listener could add tags while listening. Or maybe they add strings and create a network of sounds they think interrelate. Additionally it could just be tons and tons of songs or song of the day and everyone could put together their own mixtapes (playlists) on the site. The analytics could be applied and graphs and shit and polls. I wonder if that takes the fun out of it for everyone.

The way I see it has a lot of content and he just likes making it, I can empathize. If he's releasing music to make us (fans, community) happy then maybe we can help by by acting as a human computer of sorts. Additionally, he could charge for the service which would be streaming only and then anyone who wanted HQ versions to keep would have to buy the album as well. I wonder if that's too much to ask but I certainly would pay twice if I could also have a giant vat of random tunes to sink into while I draw..

Anyone else have ideas? Joyrex is this the sort of game we get to play? How far out from the traditional process is acceptable? (I'm of course saying this all with the deep assumption that Richard will continue to slowly sift through tunes when he gets around to it and that's that but whatever)

Good points. Although I don't think that he'd allow someone else going through his stuff. Wasnt the story that he used to give friends tapes (read: compilations of pre-selected tunes) from which those friends compiled albums? I'd be surprised if he'd give someone carte blanche to go through his entire personal library of tracks in order to compile a from the archives album. Maybe if he's run over by a car, or something.

p. sure the story was..

he would drive around london w/ his mates and play them tracks. they helped him decide what tracks to put on saw 85-92.

I think what Richard needs, before us, is a label backing up the idea of a boxset. Then, it's between him and the label. You know what? I think one of the best to bring this idea to fruition would be Mike Paradinas. He is so great at selecting tracks and making albums out of them. Plus he comes from the same scene and has a great label to release it. Doesn't have to be a boxset, it could be a double album or something.

I don't know, I would find it weird that random online people or a whole community like watmm get to decide what I will hear on the next Aphex Twin. But that's just me and there must be others like purplegoat who like the idea.

1. Syro

2. Melodies from Mars

4. Boxset 85-95.

5. New album post-Syro.

what would be cool was if you meant making melodies from mars out of electro-mechanical stuff. or making 2 out of 3...

but I'm not into speculating here....

So... we could start another Kickstarter to 'charm' our way into Richies library and compile a boxset. Or more box sets. One for each type of music ( afx, polygon window, saw, aphex twin, ...).

????

i'd buy and love MFM as it is already, but i've heard it so much

my thrust of new material needs to be quenched

I think you meant thirst, LOL!

ahah indeed

sorry, you know the frenchs do their best

So... we could start another Kickstarter to 'charm' our way into Richies library and compile a boxset. Or more box sets. One for each type of music ( afx, polygon window, saw, aphex twin, ...).

????

I wish that there would have been more Polygon Window. SOSW + (quoth) are ace! Untitled is one of my all-time favorite tracks. In addition I’ve always secretly wished for a RDJ boxset (no matter what it contains since I’m a sucker for such things LOL) so Polygon Window Boxset would be a win-win for me. CW LP had some nice Polygon Window vibes which I didn’t really expect. I expected it to be more in the vein of Compilation so I was positively surprised.

Bottom line is whatever there is coming I’m going to get it anyway and I'm not even feeling sorry for being such a blind fanboy.

u've got peel session in lossless? :emotawesomepm9:

Joyrex has direct access to Richard. He must have a lot of stuff he is not allowed to share. :)

yeah i know but i've got only 3 tracks in lossless from Peel Session... but the rest are in mp3... that why i'm surprized...

Take a look here, might be of interest to you... https://archive.org/details/RichardD.JamesRares

(I trust archive.org links are okay to post)

yeah, thanks! ;-) i've downloaded them from there thinking i would have the complete peel session... but no... ;-)

1. Syro

2. Melodies from Mars

4. Boxset 85-95.

5. New album post-Syro.

I don't know if you're being cheeky or not but what if he/we/someone created a service where we could listen to tracks and categorize them. A bunch of different ideas follow with the same end. It could be like Pandora and the listener could add tags while listening. Or maybe they add strings and create a network of sounds they think interrelate. Additionally it could just be tons and tons of songs or song of the day and everyone could put together their own mixtapes (playlists) on the site. The analytics could be applied and graphs and shit and polls. I wonder if that takes the fun out of it for everyone.

The way I see it has a lot of content and he just likes making it, I can empathize. If he's releasing music to make us (fans, community) happy then maybe we can help by by acting as a human computer of sorts. Additionally, he could charge for the service which would be streaming only and then anyone who wanted HQ versions to keep would have to buy the album as well. I wonder if that's too much to ask but I certainly would pay twice if I could also have a giant vat of random tunes to sink into while I draw..

Anyone else have ideas? Joyrex is this the sort of game we get to play? How far out from the traditional process is acceptable? (I'm of course saying this all with the deep assumption that Richard will continue to slowly sift through tunes when he gets around to it and that's that but whatever)

Well, realistically my suggestion really wouldn't work, because it's all unreleased material - as soon as it could be heard, the interest in a boxset would wane due to the inevitable piracy of the very tracks meant to end up on the boxset.

What Richard needs is someone trustworthy with a good ear/understanding of his music to go through his archives, and do a few rounds of selections, get back to Richard, have Richard select the ones he feels meet his standards, etc. - I don't know if anyone at WARP currently has the history with his music capable of doing such a thing, and I think Richard has very high standards when it comes to his music, so I doubt he'd feel comfortable having anyone but himself doing that.

He might be intrigued at a communal aspect to selecting his best stuff - a "Community Selected Works" if you will - but to avoid piracy, only snippets would be possible - is that enough to judge a track on as a potential release candidate?

Joyrex has direct access to Richard. He must have a lot of stuff he is not allowed to share. :)

No, I really don't. Really!

With everything you do to promote his art, I'd think you deserve a couple of unreleased tracks now and then hehe. Too bad he is not that generous.

What Richard needs is someone trustworthy with a good ear/understanding of his music to go through his archives, and do a few rounds of selections, get back to Richard, have Richard select the ones he feels meet his standards, etc.

Mike Paradinas, anyone? It's already his job at Planet Mu and he's collaborated with Richard before. Why not?

Archived