Devon Folklore Tapes (Vinyl Reissues) Kickstarter

These are a must if you're into the whole hauntalogical scene. Niche music for people who like Ghostly, Belbury, 70s nostalgia, folklore stuff like early Bibio, Pye Audio & early Boards and just generally weird and unusual field recordings.

They are running a kick starter - and it's the only way you'll ever get to hear most of this stuff. All the previously releases sold out quickly in tiny limited runs and digital downloads have never been part of the deal with DFT.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2125198143/folklore-tapes-vinyl-reissue-series

Regards

Yes, that's true. I was just talking to someone privately on here who also says cash is tight. It's a problem for people because all these things aren't over-priced in and of themselves - it's more that there is just so many things vying for your money these days - all this stuff just adds up really quickly.

I'm a single working guy in a fairly professional career with a salary that's pretty good for what I do. However, like everyone, I have to balance carefully - rent, food, utility bills, mobile phone - that's all got to be factored in before I start thinking about the monthly bombardment of new books, limited vinyls, etc.

In some ways, Kickstarter things are the worst because they prey on your fear that if you don't get in quick enough, you're somehow missing out on something.

yeah,it's tough but i don't mind supporting labels like this. i was only able to pay enough for that bag. i cannot even afford to get all their releases because that theo brown box set was $105. i cannot even imagine how much it would've cost had i shipped it. their cassettes also cost more than blu-ray films

luckily they met their goal and still have 24 days to go. hope they squeeze out another grand or three for more inventory

• 2 weeks later...

Been listening to this the last few days and really enjoying it, money is so tight this month but resisting the vinyl may be impossible.

I love folklore tapes. I think there is a another factor with releases like these: Royal Mail. The shipping costs are crazy for overseas stuff. I'm glad to see this is getting supported, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Really getting into this and the Ghost Box stuff, if anyone could recommend similar that would be marvelous.

• 1 month later...

yes, that looks beautiful, but to be honest, i only liked part of that album (the hannah henley side). i'd be curious if this record has expanded the songs to include more music because 'songs for hannah henley' came out on vinyl as a standalone

yes, that looks beautiful, but to be honest, i only liked part of that album (the hannah henley side). i'd be curious if this record has expanded the songs to include more music because 'songs for hannah henley' came out on vinyl as a standalone

Yes, I only liked half of it, in truth. The Devon Folklore Tapes series as a whole is a bit patchy in terms of music - at least for me.

Nothing that Devon Folklore Tapes produces approaches the quality of Jon Brooks, Pye Audio and other artists in the genre. DFT are great at the whole 'Artifact, Packaging thing' but only No 5 'Ornithology' has any real substance.

I'm talking personally with my opinion. Others may love all of it.

true- although i find dft and ghostbox's approach to music completely different. dft seem have a more organic element in their music, whereas ghostbox is more electronic. also, dft's library influences seem more folk and anti-music based whilst ghostbox's is a very definately early 70s english sound particularly from television.

you're right that they are patchy as a whole: for example, the first side of 'graves' and 'superstitions' has no music at all. it's interesting how much you like the 'ornithology' tape, i'd be curious if you ever got the birdomenlore tape that came out really early during this labels inception. i thought that was one of the best releases they made and curiously, the only one they didn't sell and seem to have completely removed any traces of.

true- although i find dft and ghostbox's approach to music completely different. dft seem have a more organic element in their music, whereas ghostbox is more electronic. also, dft's library influences seem more folk and anti-music based whilst ghostbox's is a very definately early 70s english sound particularly from television.

you're right that they are patchy as a whole: for example, the first side of 'graves' and 'superstitions' has no music at all. it's interesting how much you like the 'ornithology' tape, i'd be curious if you ever got the birdomenlore tape that came out really early during this labels inception. i thought that was one of the best releases they made and curiously, the only one they didn't sell and seem to have completely removed any traces of.

Yes, the styles are quite different so it's unfair to make comparisons. I've never heard the tape you mention.

I only like Ornithology because it had the most strange and unsettling music in the series - mostly the Children of Alice piece.

i think one of the reasons the folklore tapes catalogue varies in quality is because essentially, the albums are compilations. the 'ornithology' tape is mostly made up by the same people (julian, roj and james) so it has a more of a consistent sound. i think the 'rituals and practices' tape is one of the strongest save for the opening of side 2, but i think the sound design on the second side compliments the music on the side perfectly.

One thing that DFT excel at is weaving in arcane references. The Ornithology pieces are disturbing and unsettling in a way that I like about the hauntology genre. When they included The White Bird of the Oxenhams, it just adds to the strange thrill of it.

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Devonshire_Characters_and_Strange_Events/The_Bird_of_the_Oxenhams

Sold Out

Bleep?

sorry guess i should have clarified, the GOOD shops are sold out, Norman & Boomkat are dry, but yeah blerp still has em for fucking $42

I'm just being stupid, buy it from their site maybe they still have some?

Sold Out

Bleep?

sorry guess i should have clarified, the GOOD shops are sold out, Norman & Boomkat are dry, but yeah blerp still has em for fucking $42

You can still order straight from DFT.