IGNORED

Has Anyone Gotten a SYRO Limited Edition Preorder "Ticket" Yet?

Joyrex

So the people paying hundreds of dollars for this just got a plexiglass holder and an unplayable bonus track? Good jerb Warp.

edit: in response to this:

Hello everybody,

this is my first post on this forum which I have enjoyed quite much since a few weeks.

I entered the ballot for Syro and I was lucky enough to win in the second round. I received my copy (#98) of the box-set a few days ago.

I do not intend to re-sell my copy and I'm quite surprised by the large amount of copies that are currently being reselled on eBay and Discogs; I agree that the method used by Warp to spread this particular release is questionable, to say the least.

I don't think that the Syrobonkus print is playable, I decided to try it on my SL-1200 "by hand" without punching a hole in the center and without cutting the print from square to circle. It would be a bit long to explain how I did it, so I won't annoy you with details.

Anyway, the result is that the needle simply doesn't fit the grooves, it bounces and moves freely on the surface of the cardboard... To avoid significant damages, both to the "record" and to the stylus, I only tried to play the outer and inner grooves a couple of times.

The grooves in my opinion are in relief and the damn thing can't be played at all, at least not with a turntable.

Sorry if something I wrote sounds hazy, English is not my mother tongue.

By the way, I'm very curious to learn what "the new shit" is... I guess is a common feeling around here, isn't it? :wink:

Welcome to watmm!

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest patrykus

It's definitely not to be played on turntable. Especially since there are most likely no actuall grooves on it. Maybe the intention of designers was that it should not be played at all. Maybe. But still there is possibility the bonus unheard track of The Aphex Twin is really there and maybe it is even well pressed. We certainly won't find out until somebody will try it. And while I do agree that it's probably hard and expensive thing to do I'm pretty sure it's possible. It only takes getting a copy of syrobonkus and crowdfunding the right amount to pay the professionalist for the job. I would definitely back it up with few bucks even if there was a risk the result could be crap.

So what they did is press the bonus track on vinyl, and make a print out of the grooves?

No, they made a print from the master, which would have pressed the vinyl - which begs the question - why go through the effort of making a master for pressing vinyl, only to use it for a print?

i got s code. accepting offers

If you're not gonna buy it, you should GIVE it to someone who wants it, not sell a damn code for a profit.

So what they did is press the bonus track on vinyl, and make a print out of the grooves?

No, they made a print from the master, which would have pressed the vinyl - which begs the question - why go through the effort of making a master for pressing vinyl, only to use it for a print?

Why not? It seems the whole point is to tantalize people with something that presumably contains unheard Aphex but is designed to crumble if you as much as touch it.

my bet- nobody ever hears this

OR if anyone ever does, it will be years and years down the road, maybe decades

i really dont think those japanese laser turntables would work, for a big list of reasons (besides again the issue of finding someone who has one and sending it there). from the wiki: "It will not, however, read clear or colored vinyl records."

it just sounds way too picky. and especially if the grooves are inverted, its out of the question.

which means for a laser scan method it would require a custom job, done by some sciency types in a lab somewhere. like these guys, who recovered audio from the oldest known recordings of a voice which was done on paper as basically a drawing of the wave form. and chances are they won't care about this, and even if they did there are the same type of copyright issues that there were surrounding the CWLP which would mean that to make it widely available would again require a certain someone's permission.

my bet- nobody ever hears this

OR if anyone ever does, it will be years and years down the road, maybe decades

i really dont think those japanese laser turntables would work, for a big list of reasons (besides again the issue of finding someone who has one and sending it there). from the wiki: "It will not, however, read clear or colored vinyl records."

it just sounds way too picky. and especially if the grooves are inverted, its out of the question.

which means for a laser scan method it would require a custom job, done by some sciency types in a lab somewhere. like these guys, who recovered audio from the oldest known recordings of a voice which was done on paper as basically a drawing of the wave form. and chances are they won't care about this, and even if they did there are the same type of copyright issues that there were surrounding the CWLP which would mean that to make it widely available would again require a certain someone's permission.

Watch. Someone goes through all of that trouble to listen to that track and it turns out Richard just recorded sandpaper playing on his turntable.

Maybe a 'mysterious discogs seller' will eventually 'obtain' the master and we can crowdfund the purchase.

it is a plate that can be played by aliens in the future and it contains a terra field of unreleased tracks better then drukqs

haha yeah..

what if its a track that's the most beautiful mezmorizing track rdj has put out yet, and it literally transcends the listener into a different astral plane??

:emotawesomepm9::music:

... like a Rhubarb on steroids!

yea this limited edition is some serious bullshit. I've coughed up more than enough money for Aphex rarities but for now this package can fuck right off. definitely not impressed with the lottery system.

thanks for posting the link tho :happy:

Guys scan this in good quality, we have ideas and probably will write soft for this. Thx in advance

theres already software that does it.

Guys scan this in good quality, we have ideas and probably will write soft for this. Thx in advance

theres already software that does it.

ofc there is software for playing vinyl scans, for quite a time, but have you tried it on syrobonkus yourself?

what i meant is maybe it's not mirrored vinyl, but just looks like it. as dude earlier mentioned - needle doesnt even fit

Archived