New podcast: ONLY GIRLS OF 17 CAN HEAR UP TO 16.000 HERTZ A short history of the audio cassette

Following with Felix Kubin’s line of research on the creative underground tape scene, in this brief podcast we revisit the origins of the format with former Philips employee Wim Langenhoff.

Link: http://rwm.macba.cat/en/extra/wim-langenhoff/capsula

As a former employee at Dutch electronics conglomerate Philips, Wim Langenhoff was involved in the development of the audio cassette. He was also a member of The New Electric Chamber Music Ensemble, an Eindhoven-based artists’ collective that became notorious in the region for their anarchic performances in the late sixties.

The different sections of this interview are separated by two musical excerpts from the 2008 compilation 'The Spirit of Eindhoven'. The ensemble’s adventurous arsenal of instruments included kitchen utensils, workmen’s tools, radio and TV sets, motorbikes, EEG equipment, gramophones, discarded super-8 movies and various lighting effects. Philips had no problems with its employee’s double life: the company even financed some of Langenhoff’s performances. When the group eventually disbanded, he set up the Instituut voor Betaalbare Waanzin (Institute for Affordable Madness), which he still runs today.

Enjoy!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By auxien
      just happened across this YT channel that's basically just a trove of tape rips (mostly it seems at least) of DJ sets. clicked on a few and listening to this FSOL one right now: 
      and starting this Carl Cox mix right now it sounds wild:
      [edit: that bassline that comes in at 22:11 is so goddamned dirty. so many awesome synth lines all throughout this thing tho fuckin hell]
      anyway i imagine a lot of this is available elsewhere but i'm guessing there's definitely some in here that isn't. maybe dig and share some gems. seemed maybe worth its own topic for sharing ones from this channel and similar era rarities stuff in the same vein...archive.org probably has some up there as well.
    • By Cassilda and Carcosa
      I've been stalking this forum for a while but finally ponied up and paid for an account.

This is my first album release! (a wider distribution will occur on Sept 3rd by Ingrown Records) I wanted to share here first though.

Its cool to trash it, beat it up tell me what sucks (as long as you tell me why!) 🙂 I trusts your critiques!

There were no Software DAWs effects or VSTs used in the making of this album its all just sequencers controlling hardware synths and effects boxes mixed on a small analog console and then record to tape. Enjoy!

• By saltmarket
      Saltmarket, July 2020

• By acroplane
      Anodyne - Decay (Acroplane Recordings)
      Irish artist Anodyne returns to Acroplane following releases with Skam and Analogical Force with Decay - a darkrave colossus that is likely his most explosive release since his 2010 LP, Corrosion.

This is the first of a series of releases on Acroplane that will be released on physical formats as well as the usual digital files. For this release 150 copies will be available on audio cassette.

A small number of t-shirts are available for purchase too.
      Available to pre-order now via the Acroplane Bandcamp and also Bleep
      Released Friday 3rd July on www.acroplane.org
      Released everywhere else on Monday 13th July
      https://soundcloud.com/acroplane/anodyne-decay-lp-clips