IGNORED

Machinedrum - Vapor City Archives

fumi

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shit, I was kinda hoping this would be a freebie comp of all those "neighborhood" tracks given away through his mailing list (never signed up so never really kept track of them)... oh well new choonz are never a bad thing (unless they're bad). Then again Vapor City was (is) pretty good and there *is* such a thing as too much of a good thing so IDKTBQH

I feel like I've already heard the new track "Only 1 Way 2 Know"

I've heard all the major elements (singing style included) in other tracks of his.

I know these are probably just outtakes, but I am looking forward to hearing a different direction.

Room(s) was 3 years ago, and a lot of the excitement of the album for me was that it sounded unlike anything else at the time. Caning the same style for 3 years? that's stalling as an artist.

Shit, I was kinda hoping this would be a freebie comp of all those "neighborhood" tracks given away through his mailing list (never signed up so never really kept track of them)... oh well new choonz are never a bad thing (unless they're bad). Then again Vapor City was (is) pretty good and there *is* such a thing as too much of a good thing so IDKTBQH

I signed up for the mailing list since the beginning, and I have it all organized if you want it. It was free anyway, right?

Haha sorry mike-- certainly not trying to diss mu and I bought both poemss and weird drift and enjoyed both a lot, so there!! I'm sure I don't know all the facts was just sad a few of my favorite artists couldn't be on my fav label as I think it alters and improves the music

Haha sorry mike-- certainly not trying to diss mu and I bought both poemss and weird drift and enjoyed both a lot, so there!! I'm sure I don't know all the facts was just sad a few of my favorite artists couldn't be on my fav label as I think it alters and improves the music

especially when Mike P. is getting last say on which tracks make it on a release and it what order(also art?), thus impacting in a huge way the release is received.

I don't think the machinedrum release would have been that much different, although some of the tracks i wanted to include are on this archives thing. Ninja have done a really good job imo. Especially with the artwork and concept. I really wanted to release Cro Magnox and had a very different and shorter album proposed.

"Only 1 Way 2 Know" appeared in a mix of unreleased tracks that was on soundcloud for part of 2012 and it has shown up in at least two other mixes (one in September 2011 and one a few months ago). So you could possibly have already heard the track, though that wouldn't affect any of the other points you made.

I signed up for the mailing list since the beginning, and I have it all organized if you want it. It was free anyway, right?

Thanks man, appreciated, actually think I downloaded a couple of them only to recognize several cuts from the jets mix, and realizing I liked them better in context jettisoned the single tracks (Trav if that is you y'all should do another jets radio mix, that was all killer). Will be interested to see what this new batch brings...

I know these are probably just outtakes, but I am looking forward to hearing a different direction.

Room(s) was 3 years ago, and a lot of the excitement of the album for me was that it sounded unlike anything else at the time. Caning the same style for 3 years? that's stalling as an artist.

Good points, it's funny cuz I thought his stuff was way under-appreciated up to rooms, then he found himself in the right place at the right time and blew up... so as an artist what then? I bet there's a lot of external (and possibly internal) expectations to continue to bring the nu-jungle-meets-acoustic-footwerk jams, and it's no easy thing moving your sound in different direction(s) - many an artist has shit the bed trying to do this very thing. So I think it's kinda a no-win for him, just hoping whatever it is that it's up there in quality with rooms and vape city

Ninja have done a really good job imo. Especially with the artwork and concept.

agreed. good on them, good for Trav, and I hope y'all are still friendly about it.

(Trav if that is you y'all should do another jets radio mix, that was 100% PURE FUCKKK).

double agreed.

Guest cult fiction

ganus, on 19 Sept 2014 - 4:05 PM, said:

I've heard all the major elements (singing style included) in other tracks of his.

Not a fan of the whole "artists must change genres every (x) years" thing a lot of folks talk about, seems like they're more interested in artists chasing gimmicks than doing a depth first traversal of an interesting new sound they helped invent

Guest bitroast

I don't think the machinedrum release would have been that much different, although some of the tracks i wanted to include are on this archives thing. Ninja have done a really good job imo. Especially with the artwork and concept. I really wanted to release Cro Magnox and had a very different and shorter album proposed.

ooo out of curiosity, can you shed any light on the proposed shorter cro magnox album?

i remember the soundcloud teaser starting with probey. not sure if that was the same track as probeys poker or shorter piece. if probeys poker was on the album .. and the album was shorter.. overall it could have been much different! :)

• 1 month later...

Not a fan of the whole "artists must change genres every (x) years" thing a lot of folks talk about, seems like they're more interested in artists chasing gimmicks than doing a depth first traversal of an interesting new sound they helped invent

Triple agreed.

Archived