IGNORED

best µ-Ziq release(es)

Guest mrgerbik

18 hours ago, StephenG said:

lol somewhat ironically Housewife is one of my wifey's fav songs by him. :facepalm:

Funny, same goes for my gf.... 

btw, why was there never a vinyl release for MEAST ? I think it might just be his best album... 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/20/2019 at 2:08 PM, DJ Latte said:

Funny, same goes for my gf.... 

btw, why was there never a vinyl release for MEAST ? I think it might just be his best album... 

exactly, why no meast vinyl.

• 7 months later...

Royal Astronomy. Seems to be one of the lesser loved albums in general of his, but I really like the melodic style on this one. Good to see there are some more fans in this topic ^^

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Like the OP I'm well behind on Mike's back catalogue. I dont even know the "classics" like Tango etc. 

I've recently fell in love again with XTEP and the bangface set that showcased it. Its the only vinyl I own. 

Can anyone list in order of xtep-alikes, his other output I should check... I want to go down the rabbit hole from xtep's chilled vibes outward.. 

Ta!

Edited by phudoshin

• 4 weeks later...

Lunatic Harness strangely enough was one of the first "IDM" albums I ever owned. It is a classic album, up there with RDJ album, Feed Me Weird Things, DnB for Papa, etc from that era. Brace Yourself EP is also nearly perfect. Summer Living is the best µ-Ziq track ever - Not only is it fuckin gorgeous and badass at the same time, but I think it also perfectly encapsulates everything he was doing at the time. Kubba, Vaken Bolt, Intellitag, Abmoit, some of his best material packed into a little EP like that. Very nicely curated, especially considering we know now that he was producing a massive volume of tracks back then.

Kid Spatula Full Sunken Breaks is also a very well-rounded album, I don't return to it much these days but in its day I LOVED it. Meast has some great tracks but I think FSB beats it in general "album-ness".

I have to admit I've barely peeked into all the archival stuff...

Edited by toaoaoad
  • Like 3

?                                                                                                               ?                    ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

Lunatic Harness strangely enough was one of the first "IDM" albums I ever owned. It is a classic album, up there with RDJ album, Feed Me Weird Things, DnB for Papa, etc from that era. Brace Yourself EP is also nearly perfect. Summer Living is the best µ-Ziq track ever - Not only is it fuckin gorgeous and badass at the same time, but I think it also perfectly encapsulates everything he was doing at the time. Kubba, Vaken Bolt, Intellitag, Abmoit, some of his best material packed into a little EP like that. Very nicely curated, especially considering we know now that he was producing a massive volume of tracks back then.

Lunatic Harness is such a well flowing album, I love it dearly. Every single track sounds amazingly produced and in my opinion it's DnB IDM at it's best.

• Like 3

On 3/17/2021 at 12:05 PM, Himelstein said:

In pine effect is one of the best electronic albums in existence. His other bests are tango, and the brace yourself remix one.

i pulled the album off the shelf after reading this but i couldnt get into it. some of mu-ziqs albums are just a tad too goofy for me.  lunatic harness is definitely one of my favorites though, tango n'vectif is classic and i really like a lot of the tracks off of someset ave.  the frost jockey stuff is also pretty dope imo

16 hours ago, prdctvsm said:

?                                                                                                               ?                    ?

The middle section of The Hydrozone is top µ-Ziq lushness. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

The middle section of The Hydrozone is top µ-Ziq lushness. 

Definitely agree.

I spent a lot of time in the late 90s tracking down everything I could find by him. I even bought the “future jazz” compilation with his one track where he went by Mike Paradinas. I still think his best work is µ-Ziq, followed by kid spatula, Jake, and Gary. 

I bought everything up to duntisbourne, but I’m a fan up to royal astronomy. Lunatic harness is awesome, but I like in pine effect because of how original it is. A lot of the early idm stuff didn’t really push beyond what orbital did for me, and in pine effect seemed totally like this “garage band” type album. Idk, there is definitely cheese on it, but some of those tracks.....damn. I will add that I didn’t think the first release of tango (just 1 disc) was as good as the double disc re release. And I suppose I didn’t hear any of that until after pine anyways. So maybe I would consider that one, had I heard it first. 

Edited by Himelstein

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2021 at 12:43 AM, toaoaoad said:

Lunatic Harness strangely enough was one of the first "IDM" albums I ever owned. It is a classic album, up there with RDJ album, Feed Me Weird Things, DnB for Papa, etc from that era. Brace Yourself EP is also nearly perfect. Summer Living is the best µ-Ziq track ever - Not only is it fuckin gorgeous and badass at the same time, but I think it also perfectly encapsulates everything he was doing at the time.

just wanted to say that I 10000% agree with you that Summer Living is an absolutely gorgeous, haunting, incredible track... and that IMO the late '90s Lunatic/Brace Yourself era of electronic music, "IDM" or whatever, was the fucking pinnacle of this genre.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

been playing my kid spatula records today- Full Sunken Breaks & Spatula Freak. both quite good. i have weird fantasies about playing these records on the radio. just would be nice to come across on the radio.

but i dont listen to the radio