IGNORED

Andy Stott - Faith In Strangers

Perezvon

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

it's pretty different to anything else I've heard Andy do in his last LPs. I especially like the muted, melancholic sound of that bass guitar, it's the last thing I expected to hear in the music of a guy who crafts monolithic, submerged, dirty basslines.

I'm just 3 tracks in and trying to reserve judgement but this is fucking amazing so far. everything I wanted to hear and more. it's definitely more emotionally intensive than his past work, an evolution that I appreciate.

On Oath is so hauntingly pretty.

That title track is the first time I properly hear Andy Stott's music. Really warm wintery lushness. Have to check out more...

if you want to delve deeper into the catalogue, I'd suggest trying We Stay Together. his first LP and this latest LP are on either side of the spectrum and sound different to the Passed Me By-We Stay Together-Luxury Problems continuum. WST represents the best of that continuum and what he's best known for, I think. I know it's definitely my favourite (not including this latest because it's too soon to tell).

I agree we stay together is his best, but this new one is absolutely gorgeous. his most accessible release by a mile. he reminds me of Clark in the way that he is constantly pushing and developing his sound in many directions while retaining what makes him unique at the same time.

^ goddammit I was typing something to this exact effect right before I idiotically ok'd a firefox update. Yeah WST is my fave too but this owns as well, hats off to you Mr. Stott :catsalute: Might be time for a Stott 'n Stout with this one...

Guest bitroast

That title track is the first time I properly hear Andy Stott's music. Really warm wintery lushness. Have to check out more...

if you want to delve deeper into the catalogue, I'd suggest trying We Stay Together. his first LP and this latest LP are on either side of the spectrum and sound different to the Passed Me By-We Stay Together-Luxury Problems continuum. WST represents the best of that continuum and what he's best known for, I think. I know it's definitely my favourite (not including this latest because it's too soon to tell).

we stay together may be better than passed me by but the two kind of go hand in hand.

they're both good and have similar vibes. plus they're both short and can go hand in hand pretty easily.

there's the 2xCD version or something which has bonus tracks.. and tbh the bonus tracks aren't super worth seeking out. they're not bad to be honest, but I still prefer the shorter more straight to the point listen of the original EP tracklists (what a dumb fanboy)

we stay together may be better than passed me by but the two kind of go hand in hand.

they're both good and have similar vibes. plus they're both short and can go hand in hand pretty easily.

there's the 2xCD version or something which has bonus tracks.. and tbh the bonus tracks aren't super worth seeking out. they're not bad to be honest, but I still prefer the shorter more straight to the point listen of the original EP tracklists (what a dumb fanboy)

definitely, all those 3 albums go hand in hand. I didn't know there was bonuses.

definitely, all those 3 albums go hand in hand.

I'd say Passed Me By and We Stay Together work as a set, but Luxury Problems was definitely in its own territory, in both style and ambition.

and Faith in Strangers carves out new ground of its own

Lux was definitely starting to move in a new direction (like that totally unexpected breakbeat track), I'll agree with that. but it sounded to me like it was still related to the previous two.

isn't there going to be an early digital release? :cattears: I've just been listening to On Oath on repeat from the NPR stream.

was wondering where the shit you guys have been hearing this already.. gonna wait for the release date. I also just realised this comes out in 5 days not next month!!!!!!

Archived