IGNORED

Autechre live in Toronto, 9 May 2001 redux

awepittance

Autechre live at Steam Whistle Brewing Company, Toronto, 9 May 2001.

This is another Autechre board tape that I post-produced into a concert recording- gave it a lot of crowd sounds, some room ambience, and remastered the actual music as well.

There are a handful of Ae board tapes from the 2001 tour out there, and this Toronto performance is one of my favorites, so I wanted to give it some special treatment and really fix it up.

Most importantly, there was a nasty bit of digital clipping immediately after the 6 minute mark which I fixed up manually, which required about a half a day of tedious pencilling out flattened waveforms in Soundtrack Pro, but it's worth it.

I've seen the venue listed for this show as being the Steam Whistle Brewing Company and also The Opera House. I don't know which is correct, or if both are correct, or if one is more accurate than the other.

Presonus Studio One for arranging, DSPing and mixing. All mastering done in Soundtrack Pro.

Brian Albers is the guy I've been mentioning regularly on this forum since AE said that they would never want to put out soundboard recordings. What Brian did here is turn a soundboard recording into a fairly convincing 'larger' sounding audience/SB mixture type of recording. It's all simulated of course, but I still think it's a neat concept.

He's also the guy that did great hybrid soundboard/room recordings of Wisp, Xanopticon, Terminal 11 and others https://recordlabelrecords.bandcamp.com/album/the-cremation-of-care

I really didn't listen a lot to these live recordings, except for Glasgow Art School (2005) and that Hemsby one from 2007, and I've completely rinsed them for years and years. This is the first one that comes close to those as far as an enjoyable AE live-recording goes. Really good! Thanks!

yeah the 2001 soundboard has always been one of my favorites but judging by the original recording it's quintessentially the type of soundboard Sean and Rob have complained about in the past (sounds very dry with little dynamic range). Whatever Brian did to it is a vast improvement.

cool have the orgional set but this remaster is sounding nice. This guy is a bit of genius on the remastering, Have you heard the NYC one he did? Its awesome and very different sounding from other 2001 sets, sounds like earlier material more ep7/lp5 stylee

cool have the orgional set but this remaster is sounding nice. This guy is a bit of genius on the remastering, Have you heard the NYC one he did? Its awesome and very different sounding from other 2001 sets, sounds like earlier material more ep7/lp5 stylee

Ok I have that New York one, but mine says it's from '98

?

this concept of Brian's got me thinking... is there any audience recording of Glasgow or the other location that had a soundboard from the same tour? The Glasgow recording is still one of the best soundboards ever but I can imagine it being even more interesting with the Brian Albers treatment done to it using a *real* room recording. Even a muddy low end sounding room recording could be used at least in part, you could cut most of the bass range out of it and sort of fake a room sound for the low end (similar to whatever Brian has done here). As long as the room recording isn't overdriven it would probably work

Guest bitroast

this remaster is incredible.

wish the crowd noise was removed. the audience sounds so fucking civil. the audience applause + banter at 16:00 sounds like autechre are playing at some cafe or something to some really polite audience that applause and then quiet down for the next song.

can anyone remaster this and get the fake audience out? replace it with a better fake audience or something?

this concept of Brian's got me thinking... is there any audience recording of Glasgow or the other location that had a soundboard from the same tour? The Glasgow recording is still one of the best soundboards ever but I can imagine it being even more interesting with the Brian Albers treatment done to it using a *real* room recording. Even a muddy low end sounding room recording could be used at least in part, you could cut most of the bass range out of it and sort of fake a room sound for the low end (similar to whatever Brian has done here). As long as the room recording isn't overdriven it would probably work

oo yes i agree with this.

Guest bitroast

can anyone remaster this and get the fake audience out? replace it with a better fake audience or something?

the sound of a volcano erupting or a hurricane would be more appropriate than what was used for this mix.

it's good having audience sounds to give a sense of the live shows vibe and recapture that experience but it seems to miss the point if the energy is wrong.

uh. getting overly neg here. the remasters are fucking incredible. the audience noises are just tripping me out a little though and keeping it one baby step away from being a perfect boot'.

Guest bitroast

If you had an audience recording (different source recording) of the same show i could definitely understand the process of adding audience noise.

Soundboard is def the bees knees but sometimes the live show is in harmony with the audience and having audience cheering along adds an important element to the show thats otherwise lost.

Which to me is same reason adding 'fake' audience is a little baffling..

I couldn't be more baffled by the idea of adding fake crowd noise myself either... Is it supposed to be some kind of clever satire on how AE prefer audience recordings?

Archived