IGNORED

RIP Mark Bell

jhonny

Fucking hell fire. This is wretched, very upsetting news (reading about it while half way through my first listen of Flying Lotus' new album made it seem doubly surreal)

I was an LFO fanatic before Aphex Twin had released his first record. It's hard to put into words the impact 'LFO' and 'Frequencies' had - they represented something of a Eureka moment - that you don't necessarily have to be from Detroit (or even London!!) to make 'this music'.. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that without those key releases, Warp would not have become the hub, the focal point for so much of the new music coming through, and probably wouldn't exist today - things would look very, very different now.

So sad for his family and friends.

I think the best way we can remember Mark is through his musical contributions - for those not in the know, Mark did do some stuff in the early 90's under an alias of Clark (not to be confused with the current Clark, also on WARP):

307_JivverDicker.gif

holy shit. sad to see him go.

RIP, jivv

There is a memorial thread over on xlt-- so if you ever had an account there, you can pay respects at the place where he seemed very much at home:

http://xltronic.com/mb/121317/mark-bell-lfo-rip

R.I.P. jivver-- ... R.I.P.

Wait - Mark Bell was Jivver????

Why is everyone so surprised ? I´m sad too but humans die all the time, maybe its more dramatic for the people who bought his music from the beginning but I dont get that "WHY is he dead attitude" ! I mean in generall not only Mark Bell.

Why is everyone so surprised ? I´m sad too but humans die all the time, maybe its more dramatic for the people who bought his music from the beginning but I dont get that "WHY is he dead attitude" ! I mean in generall not only Mark Bell.

I don't see anyone saying "why is he dead"...? Only people saying that it's sad. Partially because he has 2 young kids.

I'd say that is sad even about a complete stranger, nevermind an artist I had grown up listening to... I don't know.

I don't see anyone saying "why is he dead"...? Only people saying that it's sad. Partially because he has 2 young kids.

I'd say that is sad even about a complete stranger, nevermind an artist I had grown up listening to... I don't know.

I dont mean this thread in particular more facebook, twitter stuff like that, and yes its very sad especially with 2 young kids.

it just strucks me everytime people writes things litke that.

btw: dont want to start a discussion, just sayin.

Edited by Kavinsky

Listening to "Helen" from TEX4, which was one of the few ways I had for finding out about more of my beloved weird electronic music back in the mid-nineties (I didn't have an Internet connection back then, not even dial-up). Sweet memories. Sadness about Mark Bell. Thanks for the great tunes, man.

Guest jasondonervan

Like others I was hoping for some Aphex-esque return to form from LFO at some point, but this news has knocked me sideaways. Absolutely gutted.

Real live energy every time I saw him: Banging action at Warp20 in the wee small hours, doing a fine job with Bjork on tour, tearing the roof of at Sonar Iceland... some unforgettable nights powered by LFO. MB was a true pioneer of the hypnotic groove, and will be deeply missed.

RIP

A true pioneer. I was fortunate enough to see Bjork while he was touring with her in 2007. They played a lot of Homogenic, including "Pluto." That was one of the first truly experimental electronic tracks I heard when I started diving into such music. It was incredible to hear for the first time, having really never listened to anything like that. (In fact, I bought that album the same trip I bought my first Aphex Twin album back in 2004, and I listened to it that same week)

Mark Bell is one of those producers I've constantly revisited over the years - at some point or another I'd come across another one his aliases or lesser known releases. It's sad to think he isn't around anymore but he left an incredible discography and legacy. I suppose this is similar to when James Stinson passed away, or DJ Rashad earlier this year. Their time to go just seemed so soon, but nothing can be done about it.