IGNORED

Graffiti Artist Banksy Arrested In London, Identity Revealed

Muflontillah

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

also there are many bad things about graffiti in general. for example its emphasis on personal skill or how it's either lone wolves or the worst kind of tribal mentality. fuck that shit.

it's like twitter blogger masturbation but on the streets

hoax or not, doesn't matter any more

first of all, banksy is not a common graffiti artist so who cares what other graffiti artists say about him

second, the ire is quiet stupid imo tbh. lots of ppl hate him cause of the directness of his work and when you ask those ppl how would they address the political shit in the best possible way by paint on a wall all they can show is how unintelligent and uncreative they are. the first sign of their stupidity is the view that there's nothing really wrong with the world and even it is there's nothing we have to say or do about it, let alone a painter or another (visual or non-visual) artist.

third, imo, in his work he mostly deals with:
1. complex subjects but he manages to
2. present them in an easily understandable manner, pretty creatively and mostly originally,
3. the topics are universal and vital
4. and even though they're addressed to the world's current political situation they are also mostly timeless

>>> now, can someone tell me, what really defines work of genius if not these things? what then?

every form of art has its own ways of expression (and topics it can address) so the upper said about banksy is not directly linkable to other great works in other forms of art, but sometimes it's possible, imo, like with picasso's guernica, beethoven's 5th symphony and kubrics' full metal jacket. i'm not saying that he's on par with those great geniuses but i smell similarities.
also, not all great works of art has to deal with politics (vast majority of them don't) (btw, so few of things aren't linked to politics in a general sense anyway) but imo, fruitfulness, universality, originality, expressiveness and timelessness are definitely properties of genius and i can see all of those in his work

imo, world needs more ppl like him, tbh

also there are many bad things about graffiti in general. for example its emphasis on personal skill or how it's either lone wolves or the worst kind of tribal mentality. fuck that shit.

LOL what the fuck does that even mean. What about any other painter that you admire? What about individual musicians? I mean Aphex works alone (for the most part) so how is the genius of his music not about personal skill?

I used to think Damien Hirst was the worst kind of reactionary shit, but I actually dig it now. I got the message before but I never really got the why. Tastes change, people develop different appreciation of different arts.

One thing I don't get though, is people who say they HATE (insert value here). Really? Hate? Do you know what the word hate means?

Sometimes I think Banksy is good sometimes I think he's just meh, but he's often able to generate conversation about topics that otherwise wouldn't be talked about.

...but he's often able to generate conversation about topics that otherwise wouldn't be talked about.

honestly i'm not sure modern art is about generating conversation about topics that otherwise wouldn't be talked about...

...but he's often able to generate conversation about topics that otherwise wouldn't be talked about.

honestly i'm not sure modern art is about generating conversation about topics that otherwise wouldn't be talked about...

Well you're free to ascribe whatever meaning you like to it.

Plus you'll note I didn't say all modern art does that.

why do people hate banksy?

because autechre said they hate bansky now all the sheep get to voice "their" opinion

piss off deer

bansky is a fucking cunt who makes reactionary "art" and poses as a rebel hero

Don't talk to me like I just killed your mother okay you need to relax

wow alot of hate on the thread. i used to appreciate banksy when younger, i guess way before he blew up & became extremely commercial in the auctions, with factory style stencils on canvas etc, elephants, shit in ugly frames, bad jokes, really bad installations & sculptures etc but still follow stuff like his residency in ny probably out of boredom than anything else lol, but there was mostly bad stuff in that, when he stops stencilling it goes wrong. i like what he did on the westbank on the wall, but he erases all the good stuff with the shit stuff which exceed it. just so much bad stuff, buts he still ahead of a lot, especially stencil based artists, just look someone up called bambi, ugh,

now he is just a merry prankster making a ton of cash along the way

ps i also dont like him now because ae dont either :catnope::catbed:

Archived