IGNORED

Aphex Twin: Read part 1 of SYROBONKERS! - an interview with Aphex Twin

Guest jasondonervan

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i also appreciate and agree with the idea that 'creative persons', artistes, musos, and all the other special types, should be the most important ones. 'hey i make tracks so i think making tracks should be the thing that everyone wants to suck your weiner for doing. not any of that other lames-ville stuff ppl do to get by'

oh uh.. but if he were a plumber maybe he would say 'i wish we lived in a society where plumbers were the ones who got worshipped' and i would agree with that too! and if this were a forum about plumbing, probably everyone would predictably agree. 'yah plumbing IS the most important job... without us everyone would be knee deep in shit! everyone should bow down to our shlongs right now'

i think the thing ppl need 2 realize is that if yr not plumbing ur gonna b depresed, look at me im never depresed n i pluimb all the time

So are his Lannerlog Yamaha DX100 sound bank cassettes the first official RDJ release?

I reckon so yeah, you could say that each individual sound is a miniature piece of its own, it would be nice to know what kind of sounds little ricky d jimjams was cooking up in 1986, wonder if he was hitting those Mayday metallic basses? was the dx100 in use in chicago already, maybe mr fingers or Jungle Wonz used it? not sure. can you get a sound like used on the track "i" off it, maybe it was used for that?

I remember jumping up and down on the bed with excitement when dad pulled up in the car with a casio cz230s that i had saved up for, then deflated when found you couldn't edit the sounds without the midi software! still, got as much as I could out of the presets and a boss bbd made it sound better. if only it had been a dx100 instead or even a cz101 haha!

once again mistere votes republican with one of his opinions

you got me all wrong bud

i'm saying i agree

because doing tracks is what we do, so it should be considered the most important thing in society

the things i like should be considered the best things by everyone

i should be the center of the universe

because ppl who do art and stuff are the superior race right

only a right wing fascist would disagree with that, and that aint me no sir

except he literally said this:

"But it doesnt mean we all have to think like that...thing is in a better world reality, creative acts would be considered the most important, not who makes the most money or who is good looking."

and it just so happens that 'creative acts' fits his job description. not everyone has a drive to be 'creative' so i guess in his better world those people would be some kind of underclass, compared to the artist elites? anyway it's not like there isn't some trend of filthy rich people blowing huge wads of money on art, or that people don't appreciate creativity around them. people seem to be giving more and more of their attention to creative products such as games, movies, books, etc these days. what more does he want ffs? some people have had, historically, to work for a living ($$) to support families and maybe didn't/don't have time to scratch their chins while looking at abstract paintings all day. does that make them horrible people, or somehow not as valuable as the guy who sculpted this? it's related to his giving advice to depressed people while he lives in a castle made of rare expensive synths he could buy due to his success and fame. and talking about how money shouldn't be important. pretty easy to say when you have a metric fuckton of it

so now 'clever entrepreneur' falls not under the 'placing more importance on money' but under the 'creative' category

thx for pinpointing my mindset tho, now i can begin taking steps towards improving it so that i may one day begin to think correctly, like you. maybe if i go smoke some blaze it will expand my mind some

From noyzelab's twitter, retweeted by Aphex :

"tb #syrobonkers naq fgneg arkg jrrx ol chyyvat nahqqre fvpxvr sbe flebobaxref cneg gjb jvgu qnir ablmr naq ncurk gjva "

Apparently it's rot13 for "and start next week by pulling anudder sickie for syrobonkers part two with dave noyze and aphex twin"

Guest chops727

except he literally said this:

"But it doesnt mean we all have to think like that...thing is in a better world reality, creative acts would be considered the most important, not who makes the most money or who is good looking."

I like how you say literally said when nobody said anything, typed don't you mean?

How do we even know who typed it.

Guest chops727

and it just so happens that 'creative acts' fits his job description. not everyone has a drive to be 'creative' so i guess in his better world those people would be some kind of underclass, compared to the artist elites? anyway it's not like there isn't some trend of filthy rich people blowing huge wads of money on art, or that people don't appreciate creativity around them. people seem to be giving more and more of their attention to creative products such as games, movies, books, etc these days. what more does he want ffs?

Well that's only to artists that have made it, what about artists who are not famous, art funding in the UK is at a historically low level.

Most artists are an underclass.

I don't disagree with you in principle MisterE but I think he was only comparing artists to other artists, not plumbers. As in, ideally creativity should be more important in evaluating an artist than success or good looks. It ties in with the thing about the YouTube comment and how sad it is that music's being seen as a utility.

Hi everyone, I'm a noob here but have been an Aphex fan for years (yeah right?) so feel free to rip on anything I say. Anyway, just got done reading the interview (that was a beast to read) and while I didn't understand a lot of it, particularly about gear and music-making in general, it was really interesting to read.

My question is, given that Richard is known for making stuff up, how do we know if a lot of what he says is true or not? That's why I find it hard to take anything away from these interviews as concrete fact (apart from maybe the gear stuff). It was great to see the accompanying photos of his studio and equipment and to read about the Cirklon, that inspired me to go look at videos of it on YT. The SC snippets of his and "his son's" music was interesting too, especially the early Fenix Funk mix but as for the rest of the interview about conspiracy theories and his family life, I just have to take it all with a pinch of salt really.

So are his Lannerlog Yamaha DX100 sound bank cassettes the first official RDJ release?

I reckon so yeah, you could say that each individual sound is a miniature piece of its own, it would be nice to know what kind of sounds little ricky d jimjams was cooking up in 1986, wonder if he was hitting those Mayday metallic basses? was the dx100 in use in chicago already, maybe mr fingers or Jungle Wonz used it? not sure. can you get a sound like used on the track "i" off it, maybe it was used for that?

I remember jumping up and down on the bed with excitement when dad pulled up in the car with a casio cz230s that i had saved up for, then deflated when found you couldn't edit the sounds without the midi software! still, got as much as I could out of the presets and a boss bbd made it sound better. if only it had been a dx100 instead or even a cz101 haha!

well its confirmed that I was the first track RDJ made (source: Q magazine interview)

well its confirmed that I was the first track RDJ made (source: Q magazine interview)

no you're not

:dadjoke:

Hi everyone, I'm a noob (...)

I find it hard to take anything away from these interviews as concrete fact (apart from maybe the gear stuff). (...)

I just have to take it all with a pinch of salt really.

u r wise beyond your (watmm) years.

oh and hello richie!

Guest chops727

no you're not

:dadjoke:

So do you actually believe that RDJ created you?

Guest progben

I kinda understood his creating/loving/caring sentiment as that being an active member of society rather than a passive one will improve your happiness. Personally I get low because I feel like I'm in a rut, and entering a more creative mindset does do something to ease that stress.

Obviously it's not the same for everyone though. I dunno, I think he meant well but it's one viewpoint (and an extremely niche one at that - not everyone is as fortunate an artist as RDJ)

All the behaviour in these interview threads = why rdj hid for 13 years

this.

or maybe he has come to terms with it though and is now actually enjoying playing with it. if so, he seems to have fun. as do i.

All the behaviour in these interview threads = why rdj hid for 13 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah that's marketing bullocks i also didn't enjoy. What 13 years lol? He released 12 EPs and 1 LP after druqsk, constatly played live and introduced unreleased material, so we knew hes still maknig dope music. Not even mentioning orchestra thing and party with die antword. He's been there all along, getting his shit together. BOC remained silent for 8 years straight for the matter

Sent from my laptop using internets

what is the meaning of this?

rich: Well you know you gotta play with the conventions ain't ya, also though, I always kinda fantasised about what it would be like to have kids and get married etc, I know I probably will never do that, so I guess it's nice to pretend that you've done it, my russian girlfriend was flattered when I started pretending we were married, a lot of people now think we are married which is funny and we just play a long with it most of the time, we had an imaginary wedding and have imaginary kids.

:catrage:

Archived