IGNORED

Aphex Twin: Read part 1 of SYROBONKERS! - an interview with Aphex Twin

Guest jasondonervan

Guest Roksen Creek

Lol, you've got to hand it to Richard, he is phenomenally good at messing with his fan's heads.

The guy probably is depressed 100% of the time, has grandkids and works for the US government.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's funny he talks about the microdots at the start, there was an absolute glut of them in the UK and ireland around that time, i remember in 1995 being able to get two different varieties of dots from two different guys standing literally 30 feet apart on a street here. i also remember sitting on the stairs in my house on said dots, with breakbeat hardcore blasting downstairs, and the beatles blasting upstairs, sort of providing an interactive remix of both for my brain.

fun times.

i also recently replayed the rock star manager game he mentioned on an emulator (it's called 'a rock star ate my hamster!') - it's still pretty fun.

it's always an (assholy) litmus test for me the way people talk about taking psychedelics. For example if Aphex had said 'I took this massive mescaline microdot once, tripped for 2 days' I would call into question his credibility as a whole.

fyi: the psychedelic dose for mescaline would be physically impossible to fit on anything as small as a microdot (but yet you will still find adamant 'users' who even faced with the science will still be super sure they actually ingested mescaline instead of LSD, which is again another huge credibility crumbler if you cant tell those drugs apart effects-wise)

one of my most vivid memories of my entire life is finally closing my eyes after about 10 hours on microdots, taking a deep breath, and seeing an infinite, sprawling mass of writhing C+C Red Alert 2 world appear, in a quality of vision infinitely higher than normal 20/20 eyes can translate, being momentarily suprised, feeling the whole imaginary world swoosh towards me like falling out of a plane into a sea of apocalypse tanks and tiny bald mind controlling men, then opening my eyes and realising 2 hours had passed.

around that time i also had an early DOS version of fractint, the fractal generator. 10 of us would sit in my bedroom blasting the prodigy's first album and colour-cycling mandelbrot zooms on the postage-stamp-sized CRT whilst on said microdots. it felt like the goddam future!

edit: robbie, even then erowid existed so i used to get a kick from being that guy - no, there isn't any mescaline in there. no, there isn't any strychnine in there. you're just being a dick. lol

perfectly valid, proper LSD-25 is very hard to come by these days, you're more likely to get a 2-C or an NBOME these days, and they are different beasts. the dots had an exceptional level of purity only topped by the tabs i used to get at free tekno parties in the netherlands that actually had the microgram dosage printed on the back.

lol, psychedelics snobbery. Well warm me kippers and call them sardines, as i live and troll, what will they think of next.

a psychedelic tourism show starring Russell Brand

PARKLIFE

has someone else noticed that in the interview, he both claims he does not have kids and likely never will, and also claims to have kids?

one of my most vivid memories of my entire life is finally closing my eyes after about 10 hours on microdots, taking a deep breath, and seeing an infinite, sprawling mass of writhing C+C Red Alert 2 world appear, in a quality of vision infinitely higher than normal 20/20 eyes can translate, being momentarily suprised, feeling the whole imaginary world swoosh towards me like falling out of a plane into a sea of apocalypse tanks and tiny bald mind controlling men, then opening my eyes and realising 2 hours had passed.

amazing

All the behaviour in these interview threads = why rdj hid for 13 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dis

What an awesome interview. He's a meticulous motherfucker, that much is for sure.

Can't wait for part two.

lsd as a tiny pill thing instead of a tab, innit?

LSD that is pressed into tiny 2mm circular, wafer-like pills. Kind of a rarity in the USA in the last 10 years in my experience.

You have to come to the west coast of the USA to really find LSD nowadays, the sunshine is always flowing from SF to Vansterdam.

The guys just posted this on twitter: tOtgp/l2ByE5Iav8EHz+yxV4TrF5nYgf41I1RFYQmn0HA8eSpIN0ITM5IRUveAQhMTEhP0QYQmY=

I'm shite at spotting decryption types - Doesn't look like the traditional ROT/Caesar cipher. Base32 & Base64 doesn't seem to come up with anything either. The tweet ( https://twitter.com/noyzelab/status/530703478528544768) has a safe lock pointing to 32, guessing that's a clue (and why I originally thought ROT again)

the first part needs to be de-scrambled to get to the next. Anyone make anything out of this?

tb #syrobonkers naq fgneg arkg jrrx ol chyyvat nahqqre fvpxvr sbe flebobaxref cneg gjb jvgu qnir ablmr naq ncurk gjva

https://twitter.com/AphexTwin

this may help:

http://www.wikihow.com/Decipher-a-Secret-Code

the first part needs to be de-scrambled to get to the next. Anyone make anything out of this?

tb #syrobonkers naq fgneg arkg jrrx ol chyyvat nahqqre fvpxvr sbe flebobaxref cneg gjb jvgu qnir ablmr naq ncurk gjva

https://twitter.com/AphexTwin

Aye, that was just ROT13'd (ie the characters moved 13 steps forward):

go #flebobaxref and start next week by pulling anudder sickie for syrobonkers part two with dave noyze and aphex twin

(#flebobaxref just being the syrobonkers bit of the tag unnecessarily rolled)

No, still not got anywhere with it. The = sign at the end really hinted as BASEn encoding (they're usually used to pad the file to make it the right number of bits) but I can't get any to work at all.

Archived