IGNORED

Aphex Twin: Read part 1 of SYROBONKERS! - an interview with Aphex Twin

Guest jasondonervan

Guest skytree

Lol at girlfriend police chase story. That whole bit has got to be bollox right?

Considering he started off the interview admitting the whole "wife and kids" thing was just kind of a joke and then proceeded to share tracks and stories from those kids he stated were non-existent only a few paragraphs before...hahaha, man. Dude's an Andy Kaufman-esque mind labyrinth. Basically my take is that the only stuff we can trust at this point is his hardware knowledge, but fortunately there's heaps and heaps of that to go through.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considering he started off the interview admitting the whole "wife and kids" thing was just kind of a joke and then proceeded to share tracks and stories from those kids he stated were non-existent only a few paragraphs before...hahaha, man. Dude's an Andy Kaufman-esque mind labyrinth. Basically my take is that the only stuff we can trust at this point is his hardware knowledge, but fortunately there's heaps and heaps of that to go through.

this.

it took some time for me to realize the thing's a brilliant hoax. all the more enjoyed it. respek for pulling tht off, ha

Rock Up reminds me of omgya switch morphed with that blurping pig sound from 4 bit

spectrum have church bells like michael and smell of phex electro. god so many new songs in 2 months ^^

edit; +cwlp. and yet to come! aphex2014

Guest BunnyRabbit

"it, i then made a business called lannerlog sounds [age15]and i used to sell sounds i made for it via mail order, i advertised in the back of e & mm , dont think any of the forensic fans even worked that out."

But I knew about that. I'm sure it was in an interview at some point. Anyone else remember hearing this before?

Whole interview is great though. Love the way Dave just keeps coming back to the gear and doesn't get drawn into the more (ahem) outlandish rambling.

This interview is a trip throught the synapses of a genius, I love every bit of it.

THANK YOU, GUYS!!

Thanks for your music and your insights Prichard.... And the noyzelab blog is LUSH :emb:

And wake up, dudes, the 9/11 was an inside job in your faces. You just have to do a bit of research.

haha good read. hes a funny fucker.

Think you guys misinterpreted the depression thingy too, dont think he was talking about clinical.

all will be revealed in part 2!

cmon warp get your priorities right and do whatever afx wants! Although with all his rephlex contacts and whatever surely he could contact whoever to get some records pressed and all that..

I'm still confused by the kids thing. I thought at some point he meant that he didn't have any kids with his current girlfriend, but did have some with a previous concubine, but one of rdj's quote really sounds like he never had any kids at all. What's weird is that it's dave who prompts this admission, but later dave asks about rich's kids. Is dave just playing along the disinfo giving-no-fucks game with richard ( along with numerous others, didn't grant and other talk about aphex's family in interviews way before syro? Also i remember stumbling on an old joyrex post where he mentionned rich's kid, did he fall for the disinfo in its early inception as well?), or was the first quote a misinterpreation or shitty wording?

Am I the only one who took the no-wife-and-kids thing as a joke? I thought they were obviously fucking around there, playing on the fact that he's been known to take the piss in past interviews. I mean... they almost certainly were, but it's weird that hardly anyone else is interpreting it that way in this thread. They wouldn't have mentioned it if it weren't for the sake of confusing fans for a laugh. Props to them, as it worked exceptionally well.

Am I the only one who took the no-wife-and-kids thing as a joke? I thought they were obviously fucking around there,

No, I got it. Of course he has children. As someone who is also a musician and a parent, that "The Shining" reference is bang on what it can be like.

I may have blacked out for a while there, but has no one else caught that apparently PhonicBoyOnDope (he of being… banned? from watmm several times or whatever) is apparently RDJ ???

:trollface:

Even though obvious troll, I'll still bite just for everyone else :) firstly, he's not banned at all (and hasn't been afaik), and he's obviously not Richard. Second, he used this name on a 1992 release:

http://www.discogs.com/Various-The-Philosophy-Of-Sound-And-Machine/release/51236

Q-Chastic

CAT 002

Written-By – PBoD

And it's also been explained in the 2005 I Love Aphex Twin special that Mary Anne Hobbs made for the BBC, I think it was Mixmaster Morris who did the explaining of the name.

Ohhhhh, okay. No, no troll on my part, but I was not aware that PBoD was a previously-known pseudonym of RDJ. I didn't know the name was out there already. It being confirmed and then later co-opted by another troll makes much more sense.

Cheers for the straightening-out!

Guess I'm a troll for picking an early moniker of his as my display name.

Holy shit at this interview. Amazing read, great way to spend a chunk of my day. Thanks much to Dave and Richard for doing this! Hearing those early tracks was a real treat as well. Would absolutely love to hear more stuff like this :aphexsign:

Ha, again… my apologies, must’ve really gotten my wires crossed on this one. Wasn’t “PBoD” the nick/handle of the fella that was uploading a bunch of pirate-y mixes of supposed “unreleased afx” a while back that turned out to be just giant mixtures of illegally ripped and re-labeled mixes, etc?

Again, apologies if that wasn’t you, perhaps more than one person has used the name? Or perhaps I am totally off my rocker here and need to go to bed…

Anyway, carry on!

Those afx’s son tracks are hilarious. No idea what to think about them, but they are super silly.

Guest murphythecat8

I'm still confused by the kids thing. I thought at some point he meant that he didn't have any kids with his current girlfriend, but did have some with a previous concubine, but one of rdj's quote really sounds like he never had any kids at all. What's weird is that it's dave who prompts this admission, but later dave asks about rich's kids. Is dave just playing along the disinfo giving-no-fucks game with richard ( along with numerous others, didn't grant and other talk about aphex's family in interviews way before syro? Also i remember stumbling on an old joyrex post where he mentionned rich's kid, did he fall for the disinfo in its early inception as well?), or was the first quote a misinterpreation or shitty wording?

does no one else remember that post a while back about a backstage pic of aphex at some festival carrying a small child wearing ear muffs? i seem to recall the wee lad was wearing a superman jumper as well.

either aphex has a habit of carrying other people's children around, or he has some of his own.

/internetdetective [OFF]

does no one else remember that post a while back about a backstage pic of aphex at some festival carrying a small child wearing ear muffs? i seem to recall the wee lad was wearing a superman jumper as well.

either aphex has a habit of carrying other people's children around, or he has some of his own.

/internetdetective [OFF]

what if that baby is actually Aphex Twin and Richard is just his public puppet?

Here is Avril 14th Reversed Music Not Audio in reverse, don't know if anyone else has uploaded.

yay, i couldn't be bovvered too earlier,was just about to.

mazin.

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

First few days I haven't checked this subforum for months and this happens, haha. Looking forward to reading through this later. So much interview, so many things.

What's weird is that it's dave who prompts this admission, but later dave asks about rich's kids. Is dave just playing along the disinfo giving-no-fucks game with richard ( along with numerous others, didn't grant and other talk about aphex's family in interviews way before syro? Also i remember stumbling on an old joyrex post where he mentionned rich's kid, did he fall for the disinfo in its early inception as well?), or was the first quote a misinterpreation or shitty wording?

Noyzeblog

some questions were inserted afterwards, answered amended etc, so the whole thing isn't sequential.

Archived